Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database

Page 5 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 93 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 12
Dr. Paul J. Nel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 12:30 AM

I downloaded the L4 core engine and it works perfectly. I'll try en get my L3 resources over onto L4.

Thanks for all the info, help and participation everybody,

Shalom aleichem

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 1:56 AM

Could someone please explain to me, or give a link to a book, web page, from Logos.com, blog, ect. the difference between translation, transliteration, and what the product page for the DSS Database calls ‘English glosses’ for each word. I don’t know Hebrew, or Greek, for that matter. Is there any hope that the DSS Database is anyway helpful to me, or did I waste my money?

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 2:32 AM

Translation is taking a text in one language and recreating it in a different language.

שלום in the source language is translated as "Peace" in the target language.

transcription is (when you talk of the scrolls database) a computerised record of the letters that appear on the original scroll and the s\tate of their preservation:

if you see the letters P, e ,a then a missing letter and the letter e, the transcription will be: Pea[|c]e (brackets indiacte a reconstructed letter).

When you transliterate you  show how the word is supposed to be pronounced:

שלום: shalom

English glosses give the general meaning of a lexeme or headword when it is not inflected by person, tense etc. I'll demonstrate with a sentence in Modern Hebrew:

Original: יתכן שמאגר המידע של מגילות ים המלח יעזור למשתמשים.

English Glosses: "Possible Reservoir Information Of Scroll Sea The Salt  Help To User"

Translation: "It is possible that The Dead Sea Scrolls Database will help users."

As you can see, if you don't have a good grasp of the original language it is best that you buy a translation like the "Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" now on pre-pub here:

http://www.logos.com/product/8933/dead-sea-scrolls-bible

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 2:50 AM

J Hale:

Could someone please explain to me, or give a link to a book, web page, from Logos.com, blog, ect. the difference between translation, transliteration, and what the product page for the DSS Database calls ‘English glosses’ for each word. I don’t know Hebrew, or Greek, for that matter. Is there any hope that the DSS Database is anyway helpful to me, or did I waste my money?

Translation is something I think you already know (language A-->language B).  Transliteration involves the representation of a language using one alphabet by characters of a different alphabet (alef-bet) used in another language (בְּרֵאשִׁית-->b.:r")$iyt) -- the parenthesis before the $ sign is a part of the transliteration.  English glosses are one or two word equivalents in English for a word in another language (in our case, Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek) -- דָּבָר/"word."  Sometimes you'll hear it referred to as its "definition", but it isn't since a true definition is more of a description since it involves more than one word -- ἀδελφός (gloss ="brother") definition = "a male from the same womb as the reference pers."

Sorry, Charlie, Starkist wants tuna that taste good, not tuna with good taste.  I think you blew it on the DSS Biblical Texts.  I think you can contact Logos and they will refund your money.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 5:27 AM

J Hale:

If, having the DSS Database encourages you to study Hebrew and it's literature then it my friend is a good thing!

I will leave you with the following quote:

ללמד תרגום זה כמו לנשק את הכלה דרך צעיף
"Studying through a translation is akin to kissing a bride through the veil."

חיים נחמן ביאליק
Hayim Nahman Bialik

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:05 AM

BKMitchell:

ללמד תרגום זה כמו לנשק את הכלה דרך צעיף
"Studying through a translation is akin to kissing a bride through the veil."

חיים נחמן ביאליק
Hayim Nahman Bialik

\

I searched well but can't find the source of this quote. People sometimes quote him as saying תרגום דומה לנשיקה מבעד לצעיף which is better Hebrew but they never provide the source. I heard Amos Oz say it once. I wonder if Bialik actually said this... Do you know where he wrote this?

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 12:08 PM

Thanks for the people that explained the differences between all the different terms of translation. There is little hope that I will be ever able to understand anything other than English. I do agree that studying anything, especially anything religious, in any other language than the original dulls the picture.

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2011 6:24 PM

David Knoll:

I searched well but can't find the source of this quote. People sometimes quote him as saying תרגום דומה לנשיקה מבעד לצעיף which is better Hebrew but they never provide the source. I heard Amos Oz say it once. I wonder if Bialik actually said this... Do you know where he wrote this?

First, sorry I did not see your post until, now. Second, I got the quote in question from the following link :

http://www.jewishlibraries.org/ajlweb/publications/proceedings/proceedings2007/levy_talk.pdf

Third, you made me curious and I checked http://www.benyehuda.org/bialik/
and wasn't able to find anything of the sort close to the wording of the said quote. 

So, I am guessing your assumption that this quote may be an 'urban myth' is probably spot on. From now on if I use this quote I will added "attributed to" before Bialik's name. However, I think I will stop using it till I find out who said it, when he/she said it, and where?

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 3
Swalchy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 8:15 AM

Does anyone know why why MasEzek (Masada Ezekiel) isn't included in the Dead Sea Scrolls Database?

Also, who do we notify regarding errors seen in the DSSD? I've seen quite a few verse numbers in the wrong place.

Posts 13403
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:01 AM

Swalchy:
Also, who do we notify regarding errors seen in the DSSD?

http://www.logos.com/support/reportaproblem

Posts 847
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:50 PM

Some of the letters have lines over them and some have dots or open circles over them. Is there a Webpage that explains what these markings in the Biblical DSS Database indicate?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1518
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:32 AM
I think they basically correspond to the markings in the Discoveries in the Judaean Desert" series. Cf. http://books.google.com/books?id=vx9FR8QqhUkC&pg=PR13 It would be nice, however, if Logos added an explanation specifically for this resource.
Posts 1
Seth Freedman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 9:38 AM

Just got this resource and trying two random things: 1qs and 4qmmt (or 4Q394). Are they missing in this supposedly comprehensive dss set of texts? Another text to my interest would be 1QHa (1Q35). Does anyone know why I cannot find these texts?

PS: To the logos team, while this is potentially a great resource, a main entry page with a few preliminary statements and additionally a continuous numbering within "one text" would have been helpful. To push it further, a simple index of the various different notations would also serve many a researcher well, especially popular connotations as hodayot or 4qmmt.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2013 9:56 AM

These are not biblical scrolls but sectarian. You can find them in the QSM resource.

Page 5 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS