If I had a 90GB SSD as my primary drive

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 22 2011 6:14 AM

If I had a 90GB SSD as my primary drive  [drive C] how would it work the operating system and L4 and nothing else one it?  A 500GB drive 7200 as my secondary [drive D] with everything else on it how would this work?  What about surfing   the web? Would there also be an operating system on drive D? Some of you computer experts if you will please explain to me in simple terms how all this works

Thanks  

Posts 146
Brian Maag | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2011 6:34 AM

My first educated guess would be that your OS and Logos would run lightning fast (I was AMAZED the first time I saw Adobe Photoshop load on an SSD drive). If your apps are installed from the start on the external, I believe they will work in Windows (MAC requires another step before you can install apps on an external - I don't remember it at the moment). Your apps will still be running on a "regular" HD, which would act like a slowest common denominator.

Think of it like a highway. You can move a ton of traffic on an 8-lane superhighway (your SSD Drive), but if at any point all that traffic has to go through a 1-lane dirt road (your 7200 RPM drive), things get very slow very fast.

My advice would be to install applications and OS on your SSD. Then everything is working at the SSD Drive speed. Use the 7200 RPM drive for storage (docs, mp3s, photos). Then your traffic bottlenecks will be minimal at worst.

Oh, to even have the money for an SSD! :)

Blessings,

Pastor Brian

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2011 8:00 AM

Brian Maag:
Oh, to even have the money for an SSD!

The classic prayer of the deacons for the pastor is "Oh Lord, we'll keep him poor and you keep him humble".     :-)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2011 9:07 AM

Jerry M:

Brian Maag:
Oh, to even have the money for an SSD!

The classic prayer of the deacons for the pastor is "Oh Lord, we'll keep him poor and you keep him humble".     :-)

Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive offers SSD caching of frequently used files while being much more affordable - can install everything on C: drive, based on repeated usage, Seagate chooses which files to cache for faster response.

Sam West:

If I had a 90GB SSD as my primary drive  [drive C] how would it work the operating system and L4 and nothing else one it?  A 500GB drive 7200 as my secondary [drive D] with everything else on it how would this work?  What about surfing   the web? Would there also be an operating system on drive D? Some of you computer experts if you will please explain to me in simple terms how all this works

Windows has some registry settings for program file default location - can change from C: to D: - on C: drive, probably good idea to include security software (e.g. Anti-Virus) along with Windows operating system and Logos.  The D: drive does not need an operating system.  When installing software, often have custom installation option to choose location.

For surfing the web, browsers can be installed on D: drive - many browsers use temporary files, whose default location is C: drive (can change user profile default location to use D: drive).  File location would affect responsiveness: a C: drive SSD would be faster than a D: Drive 7200 RPM.

Forum discussion about RAM disk could be interesting => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/28816.aspx (essentially using RAM as SSD for Logos).

Web surfing security observation: Internet Explorer provides best opportunity for bad stuff to be installed from visiting web site(s) - like using other browsers with add-on extensions to reduce security exposure.

By the way, looking at prices for 500 GB and 640 GB 7200 RPM drives, suggest looking at 640 GB 7200 RPM drive.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26497
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2011 3:58 PM

Sam West:
If I had a 90GB SSD as my primary drive  [drive C] how would it work the operating system and L4 and nothing else one it?  A 500GB drive 7200 as my secondary [drive D] with everything else on it how would this work?  What about surfing   the web? Would there also be an operating system on drive D? Some of you computer experts if you will please explain to me in simple terms how all this works

Whoever sets it up will ensure that the SSD is the System/boot (C:\) drive and the other will be the D:\ drive. Operating system will automatically install to C:\ and programs will install to C:\ by default. Select a custom installation or a different drive if you want to install to D:\. However, i wouldn't be concerned about programs on the C:\ drive until it becomes more than 50% full. Just make sure that you tell relevant programs to store large amounts of data (system backups, photographs, images, music, caches) on the D:\ drive.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS