Citations in Notes files

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 223
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 24 2011 1:18 PM

Hi all,

I am using a notes file in Logos to build a sermon and have come across an issue I would appreciate some input on. I am wanting to copy some text from a resource file into my notes. However when i do this the citation is not included on the end. Whereas when I copy to an external program such as Word the citation is include - is there a setting or something which I am missing to make this behaves the way that I want it to? Any help gratefully received!

thanks,

Paul

Posts 10601
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:11 PM

Paul Meathrel:
is there a setting or something which I am missing to make this behaves the way that I want it to?

Although the citations appeared in notes in L3, they do not in L4. You have not missed a setting; the feature is not present in L4. You can create a link to the original resource, but that would not help unless you plan to preach from your laptop (iPad, iPhone, etc).

Posts 18771
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 6:57 PM

I think this has been reported as a shortcoming with notes in L4. The Notes feature is still not great for composing major content in. I'd recommend using a word processor for writing your sermons for now, until the Sermon File feature is available in L4 (promised sometime in 2011, but likely behind schedule since some features that were promised by 4th Quarter 2010 are still not done yet).

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:09 PM

As a workaround, can't you "Copy Location as URL" and paste the link into the note? It's clickable and acts as a hyperlink to the resource location. I'm definitely not the expert, but I think I've done this.

Donnie

Posts 18771
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 12:06 AM

Donnie Hale:

As a workaround, can't you "Copy Location as URL" and paste the link into the note? It's clickable and acts as a hyperlink to the resource location. I'm definitely not the expert, but I think I've done this.

Yes, that would work, and would be sufficient if all you wanted to do was remember where you got the quote. But if you ever plan to publish the sermon in printed form, you'd need a more formal citation of your source. In that case you could copy/paste into Word, then copy the footnote from there and paste it back into your note. I still think Word is better for doing writing than Logos. Logos Notes are meant only for personal note-taking, not for writing longer works like sermons or essays.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS