Note didn't save

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Matthew Armstrong | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 1 2011 9:47 AM

This morning I lost an hour's worth of work in a note. I was typing up sermon notes and thoughts while studying a passage, then closed the note. When I opened it a few minutes later to add another thought, it had about 30% of the content that was there when I closed it. 

Is this a known issue with Logos on Mac? It extremely frustrating and undercuts the whole point of using Logos as a sermon study tool.

Posts 89
Robin Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 11:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your missing note and the frustration. The developers are working very hard on it.

I have been using and testing the note and clipping on the beta version, and I must say on my personal opinion that they are not ready to handle a simple task. There are moments the functions do not obey to my simple intention i.e. bullet listings, drag and moving items around etc.

Furthermore, I find that the note is not really user friendly especially when I use side-by-side with a bible. I have to open up the drop box and click "add to the note" in order to add that particular verse into the note. Only in the note I can only add personal note to it. Though it is not a big issue, but I find too many steps, and with some of the bug glitches, it makes it very difficult to control. My suggestion, I would like to see where I can type notes directly on the bible (or all other resources), just like scribbling notes on the actual bible, and have it automatically transfers to the note. Just a thought.

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 12:47 PM

Robin Lee:
I have to open up the drop box and click "add to the note" in order to add that particular verse into the note. Only in the note I can only add personal note to it.

Not sure what you mean here. Could you explain? What "drop box"? Are you right-clicking in the Bible text? I am confused. Tongue Tied

Posts 89
Robin Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 3:33 AM

Yes, the "drop box" is the box that appeared after the "right-click" on the bible text. (right click only found in the PC, not in mac... well...I think it still call right-click then Big Smile )

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 4:45 AM

Robin Lee:
(right click only found in the PC, not in mac

It is still right-click. 

Robin Lee:
Furthermore, I find that the note is not really user friendly especially when I use side-by-side with a bible. I have to open up the drop box and click "add to the note" in order to add that particular verse into the note. Only in the note I can only add personal note to it. Though it is not a big issue, but I find too many steps, and with some of the bug glitches, it makes it very difficult to control. My suggestion, I would like to see where I can type notes directly on the bible (or all other resources), just like scribbling notes on the actual bible, and have it automatically transfers to the note. Just a thought.

I don't know of any application that would work this way. It sounds like a programming nightmare. How would you control which Note File received the scribbling? 

Notes in L4 Mac are still very much a work in progress.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 8:02 AM

Robin Lee:

Wonder if Notes background could be transparent - allow drag and drop placement over bible.

Apple's terminal has a setting for transparency - so terminal window can be in front of an item and allow typing.  Perhaps Notes could be in a floating panel with a transparent panel background - could be in front of other Logos windows for note taking.

Windows also has some transparency options - perhaps a slider for transparency could be added on both platforms (similar to font sizing), default to 100 % background color (no transparency).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 89
Robin Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 2:15 PM

Jack Caviness:
I don't know of any application that would work this way. It sounds like a programming nightmare.

Though I am not a programmer, but I believe it can be done if there is an idea and a desire to create a great software. Nothing is impossible in today world of programming. Only a careful planning is required. Btw, Microsoft Word has the "comment" section where we can comment sentences or word of the document. It is is the same principle that I am talking on this issue.

Jack Caviness:
How would you control which Note File received the scribbling? 

Great question! From what I'm currently seeing from the bible text that is associated to the note files is how the Visual Filters Menu (the three circles on top of the book's toolbar) controls the overall visual of all the highlighting, notes, etc. on the bible text. We check and uncheck to hide/show those notes and highlights. My point is these visual filters provide an idea on how we can control which note files to receive the scribbling. Since we have the capability to highlight visually, the only thing lacking is the bible text is not integrated with notes taking. Currently, we have to open another window, place them side-by-side, through a couple of clicks, scroll up and down through all the notes in order to add personal notes, and eventually all new ideas are gone by the time we search for the right verse. Through these tedious steps, the square colored box would only appear next to the selected bible text. If we have something like a "Notes Menu" on the toolbar that we can click to create new notes, delete, turn on/off notes taking and to select/deselect which note files to receive scribbling, it would cut back a lot of those troublesome steps. Visually, when note taking is turned on, an empty adjustable margin corresponding to each verse and chapter at the side of the window would be great for writing notes. It helps cross referencing side-by-side in one glance. We type immediately when a fresh idea comes; furthermore, our eyes are still fixing on the biblical text. The hovering of the mouse over the square colored box is good only when we are not intended to write any note but only for references.

Just a thought.

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 2:40 PM

Robin Lee:
Currently, we have to open another window, place them side-by-side, through a couple of clicks, scroll up and down through all the notes in order to add personal notes

The scroll up and down part of that scenario should end soon. L4 Win automatically scrolls to the new note as it does when the note icon is clicked in the Bible text. The lack of this capability causes me to do much of my Bible study in L4 Win rather than L4 Mac.

I think much of your frustration will end when L4 Mac truly reaches parity with L4 Win.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS