Split resources; Encyclopedia of Christianity, Gnomon of the New Testament, etc…

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:40 AM

Is there a FAQ anywhere on how to best work with these types of resources.  I know how to search within the whole series, but I'd like something a little more straightforward.

Regarding the Gnomon of the New Testament, it would really be nice to able to link (link sets)  the contents to the Bible in a more complete way.  AFAIK, you need to know which volume your content is on in addition to having 5 tabs open to accomplish what's a available in a 1 volume commentary.

Same dealio with the Encyclopedia of Christianity with the added confusion of Volumes 1-3 in one resource, while 4 and 5 are separate.  Don't need verse to verse linkage in this resource set, thankfully.

Anyhoo, looking for practical tips here on how to work with split sets more efficiently.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:56 PM

Didn't quite put that right about the Gnomon.  The point I was trying to make is a 1 volume verse-by-verse resource is easier to work with.  Can the 1 volume resource link functionality be replicated somehow?

Posts 19302
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:11 PM

Navigation in multi-volume commentary sets such as the Gnomon of the New Testament works pretty seamlessly across the volumes. For example, if you have Gnomon volume 1 open and you enter a reference in Revelation in the reference box, it will jump to the appropriate location in volume 5 in that same tab rather than opening another tab. Similarly, if you have Gnomon open in one tab and your Bible in another, and you've got them linked together on the same link set, then you scroll or navigate to somewhere else in your Bible, the appropriate volume of Gnomon will open in the same commentary tab to keep in sync with where you are in your Bible. The only issue is that the Table of Contents pane of multi-volume commentaries does not integrate across all the volumes, so you can't navigate to a different volume that way.

This also works with books indexed by topic such as Encyclopedia of Christianity. Open the "volumes 1-3" volume, then jump to the article on "Revelation, Book of" by typing Revelation into the reference box and selecting the appropriate article from the dropdown, and volume 4 will open in that same tab, replacing volumes 1-3.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:15 PM

Rosie Perera:

Navigation in multi-volume commentary sets such as the Gnomon of the New Testament works pretty seamlessly across the volumes. For example, if you have Gnomon volume 1 open and you enter a reference in Revelation in the reference box, it will jump to the appropriate location in volume 5 in that same tab rather than opening another tab. Similarly, if you have Gnomon open in one tab and your Bible in another, and you've got them linked together on the same link set, then you scroll or navigate to somewhere else in your Bible, the appropriate volume of Gnomon will open in the same commentary tab to keep in sync with where you are in your Bible. The only issue is that the Table of Contents pane of multi-volume commentaries does not integrate across all the volumes, so you can't navigate to a different volume that way.

This also works with books indexed by topic such as Encyclopedia of Christianity. Open the "volumes 1-3" volume, then jump to the article on "Revelation, Book of" by typing Revelation into the reference box and selecting the appropriate article from the dropdown, and volume 4 will open in that same tab, replacing volumes 1-3.

The only shortfall is if you want to browse using the TOC, you'd have to open the other volume(s)

Posts 19302
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:29 PM

Kevin Becker:

The only shortfall is if you want to browse using the TOC, you'd have to open the other volume(s)

Yup, as I mentioned.

Rosie Perera:

The only issue is that the Table of Contents pane of multi-volume commentaries does not integrate across all the volumes, so you can't navigate to a different volume that way.

It seems to me they could fix this by including the complete TOC in each volume for multi-volume works. Maybe that's something we should be asking for on UserVoice.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:32 PM

I am VERY happy to hear this.  This will be quite satisfactory for my needs.  Thanks to the both of you for responding.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:34 PM

Works like a charm.

Posts 19302
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:41 PM

Michael Anda:

I am VERY happy to hear this.  This will be quite satisfactory for my needs.  Thanks to the both of you for responding.

Glad that works for you. I still think the TOC should make it easier to navigate across all volumes and browse the contents when you don't know what's in the other volumes.

Rosie Perera:

It seems to me they could fix this by including the complete TOC in each volume for multi-volume works. Maybe that's something we should be asking for on UserVoice.

I've just added this to UserVoice. Here's what I wrote:

"In order to browse all the contents of a multi-volume work such as Encyclopedia of Christianity or Karl Barth's 'Church Dogmatics' and navigate to another part of the work when you don't know where you're going, you have to open each volume and poke around in each one's TOC pane.

"The TOC pane should show a global table of contents covering the entire work with all its volumes. It seems this should be technically feasible since it is possible to navigate directly to a different volume (within the same tab) if you know what to type into the reference box. The problem is, without knowing the contents of the work intimately, you can't do this.

"So please make the TOC panes cover the entire work for multi-volume works!"

Please vote for it!

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/1452407-include-complete-toc-in-each-volume-of-multi-volum

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:49 PM

"I voted" Rosie.  You can vote for my suggestion from yesterday here, if you'd like.

Allow user ability to mark a panel as off-limits to resources not manually established afterward. (http://uservoice.com/a/fXDal)

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 2:38 PM

Rosie Perera:

Kevin Becker:

Yup, as I mentioned.

Bit by the skim bug Smile sigh...

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2011 2:40 PM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS