Showing the Logos Facebook community how helpful the forum community is

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 336
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 7 2011 8:50 AM

A number of our Facebook fans have no idea how helpful the forum community is. From time to time they'll post questions on our wall and wait, sometimes over the weekend, for a response.

I wonder if we could do a little demo and show them just how quickly they can get help if they join this community. It'd also be a great way to show them just how much how-to info is already posted here.

So, here goes. From Facebook: Can anyone tell me how to do a search for two Strongs word numbers at the same time. EG Jesus and Lord in the same sentence, but using Strongs numbers

Show our Facebook fans what they're missing...3...2...1...go!

Posts 10047
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2011 9:09 AM

Hi Stephen

So firstly you need to know what the Strong's numbers are - so a quick search in the gospels for "Lord Jesus" finds a couple of hits including Luke 24:3.

In that verse, right-clicking on "Lord" shows that the Strong's number is 2962 and that for Jesus is 2424

This allows me to do a search for the two Strong's Numbers as shown below:

Useful information about constructing searches can be found at http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP and http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 336
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2011 9:20 AM

Graham, incredible! 19 minutes, with links and a screenshot! Thanks for such a quick but thorough reply!

I posted it over on Facebook for all to see. http://www.facebook.com/BibleSoftware/posts/181275261907653

Thanks, again!

-Stephen

Posts 10047
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2011 1:50 PM

Hi Stephen

You're welcome - but for completeness I was thinking about this and realised I didn't completely answer your question.

You asked for the two words within the same sentence. I used the construct NEAR which finds words within 40 characters of each other.

I should have used AND which finds words within the same article (which is verse in a Bible search).

So not a sentence match but these are the types of options available to you.

Apologies for any confusion

Graham

Posts 13192
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2011 4:18 PM

Observation: not need Strong's numbers to search Logos - searching Lord NEAR Jesus finds 9 more results - e.g. Matthew 18:21 where a greek pronoun for Jesus appears near Lord.

For New Testament, prefer Louw-Nida numbers that groups words by semantic domain usage - blog has good examples => http://blog.logos.com/archives/2008/10/introducing_the_lexham_analytical_lexicon_to_the_greek_new_testament.html

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8
David Griffith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:31 AM

Graham, Thank you for posting the reply to my question, NEAR and AND gave 301 and 341 results respectively. When using AND you said they are in the same sentence, is there another term that might pick up the two Strongs words when they are further apart?

Thanks
David

Posts 10047
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:56 AM

Hi David

David Griffith:
Thank you for posting the reply to my question

You are welcome

David Griffith:
When using AND you said they are in the same sentence

in a Bible search both NEAR and AND (and proximity operators in general) are restricted by verse boundaries (not sentences).

If you do a basic search these boundaries no longer provide a constraint but it is less intuitive.

David Griffith:
is there another term that might pick up the two Strongs words when they are further apart?

You can use "WITHIN xx WORDS" to specify a separation.

So, for example, a Bible search will only find hits within a verse

The same search - against the same resource - in a basic search will find more as it spans verse boundaries.

In a basic search you can't limit the search range to specific books or passages.

What are you trying to accomplish? There may be another way to go about it.

Graham

Posts 7268
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:56 AM

David Griffith:
is there another term that might pick up the two Strongs words when they are further apart?
There are several options, for instance:

word1 WITHIN 2-24 words word2

See more here: http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:59 AM

David Griffith:
Graham, Thank you for posting the reply to my question, NEAR and AND gave 301 and 341 results respectively. When using AND you said they are in the same sentence, is there another term that might pick up the two Strongs words when they are further apart?

AND locates two terms when they are in the same verse (Bible or Morph search). You can use WITHIN XX WORDS or BEFORE XX WORDS or AFTER XX WORDS to specify more specific relationships (I think NEAR = WITHIN 8 WORDS but I could be remembering wrong) but they only work for proximity within a verse when using Bible or Morph search.

If you want to search across verse boundaries you need to do a Basic search restricted to a particular Bible. Then AND will give you terms that are in the same Chapter and the proximity searching can span across verse boundaries

EDIT: It appears that Graham and Thomas beat me to the punch Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS