Visual Filter for Herod

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 8 2011 9:46 AM

In an effort to keep the dynasty of Herod straight in the NT, I created three simple visual filters.  I thought some might find it helpful especially when teaching Biblical background.  (If anyone spots a mistake, please let me know.)  The pop up in middle is an complete listing of the Scriptures in the middle filter.  I noticed the cross references in the NAS will link you to another Herod who is a different person without letting you know.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 26026
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2011 12:25 PM

This is a very clever way to clear up ambiguity. Well worth putting as a hint in the wiki

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 97
Carey G. Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2011 2:50 PM

Thanks for sharing this...Yes

if we meet and you forget me,

you have lost nothing.

But if you meet Jesus and forget Him,

you have lost everything.

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:27 AM

Excellent! Thanks, Jerry.

Posts 5
Donald L. Platt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 4:02 PM

Great tip, but how were you able to type "Herod I (the Great)" into the formatting box?  When I place the cursor there, the only option I get is the drop down menu for the various formatting options.  I can't find a way to type text into the formatting box in the same way it appears in your screen shot.  What am I missing?

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 4:22 PM

Donald L. Platt:

Great tip, but how were you able to type "Herod I (the Great)" into the formatting box?  When I place the cursor there, the only option I get is the drop down menu for the various formatting options.  I can't find a way to type text into the formatting box in the same way it appears in your screen shot.  What am I missing?

For those options to show up in the dropdown list, you have to first create a Highlighting style for each of those Herods:

Here's the definition of one of them to show you how I did them (note the space before the opening parenthesis):

For more info on creating your own highlighting styles, see http://wiki.logos.com/Highlighting

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 5:47 PM

Donald L. Platt:

Personally created Herod highlighting palette, created 4 styles (label text: after - with italics), added names for search ranges - from search, clicked Make Filter - rename filter and chose appropriate style:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:00 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Donald L. Platt:

Personally created Herod highlighting palette, created 4 styles (label text: after - with italics), added names for search ranges - from search, clicked Make Filter - rename filter and chose appropriate style:

Keep Smiling Smile

I didn't want to have those search ranges cluttering up my named ranges listbox, since I like to keep it clean:

Considered using Passage Lists, named for each of the Herods, since you can use a Passage List as a search range. But then figured out that I could delete the unnamed ranges from my list box after creating the visual filters and the VFs still work. So I don't need the clutter in my PLs either.

I like the idea of a separate palette for Herod highlighting. Too bad we can't (yet) drag and drop highlighting styles from one palette to another.

KS4J, what search range did you use for Herod Agrippa II?

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:33 PM

Rosie Perera:
what search range did you use for Herod Agrippa II?

Herod Agrippa II is always known as Agrippa in Acts so Acts 25 and Acts 26.  I originally did this for a class on the life of Christ, and didn't get to Agrippa II.  Thanks to those who developed this further.  I liked the idea of italics and incorporated it.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 5
Donald L. Platt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:52 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the clarifications.

Posts 5
Donald L. Platt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 7:39 PM

Along with italics, I also chose the superscript option, so that it's in smaller text, and slightly elevated, in the same location as a reference note.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 8:41 PM

MJ. Smith:
Well worth putting as a hint in the wiki

added to wiki Visual Filters Examples

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 4:47 AM

How about posting the filter text for those of us who are lazy?

Got it from the screen shots above....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1623
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:14 AM

Thank you, Jerry. Creative and instructive.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:40 PM

Modified my Herod the Great visual filter search => Matthew 2, Luke 1, Acts 23

Couple commentaries state Herod the Great built palace in Acts 23:35 reference.

For Herod Antipas, searching => Matthew 14-Mark, Luke 3-Acts 4, Acts 13

For Herod Agrippa I, searching => Acts 12

For Herod Agrippa II, searching => Acts 25-26

Also changed visual filter from All Bible Text to Surface Text (skip some english gloss text: e.g. Bernice, daughter of Herod Agrippa I)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:04 PM

Thanks for those refinements, KS4J.

Posts 1188
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 8:01 AM

I found this old thread and I have been making a visual filter to help with the names of God. Very helpful.

Is it possible to make my text I put after the name a link?

Posts 21637
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 8:17 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
Is it possible to make my text I put after the name a link?

Not that I am aware of but it sounds like a nice ideaYes

Posts 954
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 10:15 AM

Modified my Herod the Great visual filter search

Are you adding it to the Logos Visual Filters collection?    Hint.....!

Posts 21637
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 10:20 AM

JohnB:

Modified my Herod the Great visual filter search

Are you adding it to the Logos Visual Filters collection?    Hint.....!

It looks as though KS4J has already applied the updates - his comment was from over 3 years agoSmile

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS