Why is Logos so slow on my MacBook Pro?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Cristian Moscoso | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 11 2011 1:30 PM

I have a brand new MacBook Pro and I just purchased Logos 4. I am a first time user of Logos and I was wondering if it's suposed to be this slow. Every time I want to do anything really it takes a while to the point that I get frustrated.

When I saw the demo of the software last week it seemed to run smoothly, am I doing anything wrong? Am I missing anything? Please help me... 

Thanks

Cristian M

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 1:36 PM

Has your library finished indexing? If you look for a menulet that looks like the Logos icon on the top right of your screen you can hover over it and find out if you are still indexing. Indexing typically takes a couple hours at least. After indexing everything should work quite well.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 1:40 PM

Here's a video that explains the installation and indexing: http://www.logos.com/video/2489/logos-4-mac-install

You can skip to the 2:00 mark in the video for information on indexing.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 2
Cristian Moscoso | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 2:00 PM

Thanks a lot Jonathan for the prompt response. But I already watched the video and the menulet isn't there anymore so it seems as if it's done indexing, I did let it index for a  long time anyways. Is there anything else I can do that you can think of? It really takes like 3 seconds even to scroll down in certain commentaries and the passage guide. 

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it!

CM

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 2:23 PM

Cristian,

There are many threads about L4 Mac performance.  You might want to read them to see if they have any tips.  Here is one that I know of: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/27321.aspx

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 3:03 PM

Cristian Moscoso:
Is there anything else I can do that you can think of?

One way to check indexing is searching library for something (e.g. Logos) - if no results found, index crashed instead of completing.

Cristian Moscoso:
It really takes like 3 seconds even to scroll down in certain commentaries and the passage guide. 

Please elaborate - not enough information to attempt replication (e.g. which commentaries, passage, etc)

Wiki has Mac Troubleshooting with How to Report Bugs in Logos 4 Mac and Slow Performance sections.

Wiki also has Beta Program information and risks - current Logos 4.2a Beta version has several optimizations (along with some bugs - primarily new features being exposed for use on Mac).  Using Logos 4.2a Beta 6 on an older iMac with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, scrolling 3 linked Bibles with Logos Greek Morphological highlighting was responsive to mouse and keyboard entry.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 5:53 PM

I know this is the mac form  but I have L4 on 2 windows computers and both run L4 so slow that I don't even use L4. I always and only use L3 (Much faster).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 9:02 PM

Current Apple MacBook Pro models default to 5400 RPM drives - option to order faster - upgrading hard drive to seagate momentus xt (hybrid 7200 RPM drive with 4 GB Solid State Disk cache) noticeably improves performance.  Mac Sales offers Do It Yourself (DIY) laptop upgrade kits => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/

James Chaisson:

I know this is the mac form  but I have L4 on 2 windows computers and both run L4 so slow that I don't even use L4. I always and only use L3 (Much faster).

Logos 4 forum has a thread => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4451.aspx - suggest posting new thread in Logos 4 forum with repeatable slowness steps - good for replication and optimization opportunities.  Thankful for Logos 4.2a Beta improvements on Mac and PC.

Logos 4 is resource intensive on Mac & PC – benefits from fast processor, graphics, and disk along with adequate memory (e.g. newer hardware since Logos 4 being designed for use over 5 to 8 years).  Also Logos 4 performance can be adversely affected by other programs (especially resource intensive ones - online backup, virus scanner, malware protection, ...).

Wiki has Logos Running Slowly page.

Blog has tip about collapsing Guide sections

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 5:53 AM

I know that most people with Macs don't run antivirus software, but if you do make certain to exclude the Logos folder from on-access scanning. I've seen a 3yr old MB Pro go from pull-your-hair-out slow to quite acceptable, if still a little slow performance after this change.

I think I'll add this to the wiki article on Logos running slowly too.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS