How would I do this search?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 13 2011 7:50 AM

I have a Hebrew lemma in the old testament, that I am wondering whether that same word is truly used in the NT. What is the most reliable way to do that? I could do a search for the English manuscript word, but of course that is subject to IMHO the largest amount of translation and judgment.  Is there a Hebrew-based NT that I could search for the same lemma? Or is there another search method that I could use to more reliably say that yes, the original (or close to original...) authors of the NT were in fact referencing the same word/lemma as existed in a particular place in the OT?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:12 AM

Dominick Sela:
Is there a Hebrew-based NT that I could search for the same lemma?

Since New Testament was written in Koine Greek, not know of Hebrew equivalent.  Old Testament was translated into Greek, Septuagint (LXX) could be used for comparison - caution from logosres:septcontxt;ref=Page.pp_78-79;off=1402 "The Septuagint in Context: Introduction to the Greek Version of the Bible":

To summarise, the LXX contains, in Tov’s words, “more significant variants than all other textual witnesses together. Furthermore, apart from a few scrolls from Qumran, the LXX is the only source that contains a relatively large number of variants which bear on the literary criticism of the OT”.42 In these last cases and with the information we now have, we should respect the autonomy and special nature of the translation as witness of a different literary tradition from the textus receptus. As is evident, in such cases it does not seem reasonable to use it as a source for restoring the authentic Hebrew text.43 However, in spite of all these reservations, in most of the books, the LXX variants, when used intelligently and with due caution, with the premisses set out above, can become an important aid for biblical text criticism and for editing the Hebrew text.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18754
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:28 AM

How about looking to see how it is translated in the Septuagint and then search for that Greek lemma in the NT? The NT authors were probably more familiar with the Septuagint than they were with the Hebrew Bible. And anyway you can't say they were referencing the same word/lemma that existed in the OT if they were writing in a different language. So there is translation involved somewhere. There is not a direct one-to-one correspondence between words in Hebrew and words in Greek. And meanings depend on context.

To answer your other question, though, yes the NT has been translated into Hebrew in the Hebrew New Testament. I'm not sure whether this will help with your initial quest, though, since it might be an unanswerable question.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:43 AM

Ah thanks Keep Smiling and Rosie, I was thinking of it opposite - I searched in the LXX and then lemma searched for that word in the NT. I found what I was looking for! Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS