off topic about system ram

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:01 PM

Greetings all!

I am running a windows 7 64bit computer with 6 gig of ram...I installed 6 more gig in hopes of having 12 gigs of ram.  Yes, it is the correct ram.  with 12 installed it shows only 4 usable...10 installed only 4 usable...8 installed only 6 usable...went into the boot options advanced and there it shows I can only allow 8gig...which did no good...checked the bios settings dont see anything where I can change the ram...I am only a simple computer guy...any suggestions with getting the 12 gig of ram going?  thanks in advance for any assistance!

blessings,

danp

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:18 PM

Could you also provide more information:

- make and model of computer

- capacity and speed of each memory module

- OEM motherboard

- BIOS version

- number of memory slots on motherboard

Have you checked your PC manual to see if it can support 12 GB RAM? Back in the old days, RAM capacity per module were 512MB, 1GB, 2GB.  Now, most common capacities per module are 2GB and 4GB.

My desktop motherboard has four RAM slots. For dual channel RAM, I have to install at least two RAM modules of the same capacity and speed.  They are installed on specific slots according to the motherboard RAM configuration.  My memory modules for Logos software are 240-pin Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 (aka PC3 12800), 1.65V, default timings 8-8-8-24, 2 GB per memory module.

Check the website of your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer. If you have warranty support with your PC manufacturer, you may need to call them for assistance.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:18 PM

Dan Pogue:

Greetings all!

I am running a windows 7 64bit computer with 6 gig of ram...I installed 6 more gig in hopes of having 12 gigs of ram.  Yes, it is the correct ram.  with 12 installed it shows only 4 usable...10 installed only 4 usable...8 installed only 6 usable...went into the boot options advanced and there it shows I can only allow 8gig...which did no good...checked the bios settings dont see anything where I can change the ram...I am only a simple computer guy...any suggestions with getting the 12 gig of ram going?  thanks in advance for any assistance!

blessings,

danp

You state that it is the correct ram, but I'm wondering what your manufacturer lists as the maximum allowable ram.  I suggest you visit www.crucial.com and enter your machine's specifications to see what they say.  You gave no indication of what kind of machine you have.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:27 PM

computer was built by friend who lives out of state...the motherboard is a gigabyte x58a-ud3r which I guess I should go online and see what the manual says...using windows 7 pro...the new ram shows 9-9-9-24...will have to shut computer down to see if ram is same

thanks'

danp

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:35 PM

ok...think I figured it out...the current ram is 9-9-9-24 1600 mgh  the ram that purchased is 1333 mgh...i am guessing this is the problem and now I have ram that I cannot use!  This is a learning curve huh?

thanks all!

danp

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:38 PM

Dan Pogue:

computer was built by friend who lives out of state...the motherboard is a gigabyte x58a-ud3r which I guess I should go online and see what the manual says...using windows 7 pro...the new ram shows 9-9-9-24...will have to shut computer down to see if ram is same

thanks'

danp

In that case, perhaps you could use el teléfono to call your friend.  He probably can answer your question.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:56 PM

Wonder about BIOS version ?

Searching for gigabyte x58a-ud3r - found 2 motherboard revisions:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#sp

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#sp

RAM specifications seem to be the same - noticed F3 BIOS for rev 1 motherboard - enhanced memory capability => http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#bios

Observation: rev 2 motherboard BIOS is F# where # is alphabetic while rev 1 BIOS is F#  with # being numeric (may have a letter suffix)

By the way, Logos may benefit from Windows caching files in memory - currently Logos 4 is a 32 bit application.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:42 PM

Dan Pogue:
ok...think I figured it out...the current ram is 9-9-9-24 1600 mgh  the ram that purchased is 1333 mgh...i am guessing this is the problem and now I have ram that I cannot use!  This is a learning curve huh?

Running RAM at different speeds shouldn't matter at all. Your system should adjust to the slower speed.

Can you confirm how you know that only 4Gb is usable? Is this in Windows, or in your BIOS? If it's in Windows, can you confirm (a) What your BIOS says, and (b) where in Windows you're getting the stat from?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS