Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:53 AM

Can someone in the know tell me just what the status of L3 is? Is it being supported in any way at all? For instance, if I find a typo in an L3 resource and see that it has been corrected in L4 (sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't), am I wasting my time reporting it?

As I've said many times on this forum, I use L3 for 95+% of my study, with L4 taking up the slack. I don't in any way consider L4 to be L3's replacement, because there is SO MUCH that L3 does that L4 doesn't do. I use them in tandem, and because they are from the same source, they work very well together.

What I'm saying is that Logos ought to forgo the illusion that they "upgraded" L3 to L4 (that's a pipe-dream) and recognize they now have TWO SEMI-UNIQUE programs that have their own terrific strengths and work very powerfully together. I realize that the prevailing logic was that L4 was "replacing" L3 (pipe-dream!) and that tech resources would be salvaged from L3 to focus on L4. That may have been the "plan", but the facts on the ground speak a different reality altogether.

Logos, IMO, would do itself a great service if they acknowledged they current reality and PROMOTED what the reality is...they have in their stable TWO AWESOME PROGRAMS that together do things the competition doesn't. I almost always have both programs opened side-by-side, switching between the two as needed. I find that this gives me a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF FLEXIBILITY in my study.

Anyway, something to consider...and I would like an answer to my original question. Thanks.

Posts 5566
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 12:21 PM

David Paul:
Can someone in the know tell me just what the status of L3 is? Is it being supported in any way at all? For instance, if I find a typo in an L3 resource and see that it has been corrected in L4 (sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't), am I wasting my time reporting it?

Logos3 is still being supported as far as I know. Go ahead and submit the typos (it only takes a few seconds anyway).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 12:33 PM

David Paul:
Can someone in the know tell me just what the status of L3 is? Is it being supported in any way at all?
Yes, just this week Bradley Grainger had some posts indicating that he is working on a new bug that IE9 introduces with the COM layer of L3.  So yes it is being supported with bug fixes etc.

David Paul:
if I find a typo in an L3 resource and see that it has been corrected in L4 (sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't), am I wasting my time reporting it?
hmm.  I'm afraid I don't know but it's a great question.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 6:56 AM

Not that I have no respect for "Sneetches with stars on thars"...(I do, thanks, guys)...but I'd like a response from someone with "a cross on his or hoss."

Dr. Seuss, you a missed...Crying

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 7:35 AM

David Paul:
Logos, IMO, would do itself a great service if they acknowledged they current reality and PROMOTED what the reality is...they have in their stable TWO AWESOME PROGRAMS that together do things the competition doesn't. I almost always have both programs opened side-by-side, switching between the two as needed. I find that this gives me a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF FLEXIBILITY in my study.

You are so right!  I really wish they would rename Libronix 3 as "Logos Classic" and resume sales and development for it. Both programs have amazing capabilities and diverse uses. Logos 4 does not make Libronix 3 obsolete!  I know there is probably a "been there, done that" feeling among the old-timers in development. But new users are still discovering what Libronix can do and are falling in love with it. (The recent fire-sale clearance prices of boxed product has lured many into the fold. Once they see what Logos 4 has to offer, they too will want both programs.)

ps: ignore my star. I just agree with your post so strongly I could not help but say so. Thanks for indulging me David.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10330
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 11:54 AM

Agree on L3 vs L4. Most of the time I read in L3 because of the ease of scrolling, highlighting, etc. with L4 set up for research. And then sometimes it's fun to luxuriate in L4 with its fun features. But for most of my friends thinking about more serious Bible software, I recommend L3 mainly because it plugs into their existing world nicely and requires limited spin-up time. They can easily upgrade later if they like.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:07 PM

I agree that Logos 4 still is not ready to be their only product.  As a student working on my THD, I am still not ready to give up Libronix 3.

I also think Libronix 3 you still be useful for people that can not afford a computer that will run Logos 4 well and it would allow those on a tight budget to also have many very good free PBB books to help round out their libraries.

I would love to see more work done on L3  and see it being sold again.

Is it currently possible for a person that just bought L4, to also download L3 and use it?

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 13373
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:10 PM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:
Is it currently possible for a person that just bought L4, to also download L3 and use it?

Yes, absolutely.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:34 PM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:

I would love to see more work done on L3  and see it being sold again.

L3 has never been sold.  Only the resources are sold, and they can be used in L4 if one decides to download it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 7:34 PM

Well I give you a TKO on that one George, and no one has ever bought Logos 4 either!

But I think everyone understands my desire to have L3 kept up so that everyone could still get it and use it as a software program.

Does anyone know if I bought a gold scholars today in the L4 program, what would I need to do to be able to run it on L3.

I am think about a poor pastors overseas with a computer that would not handle L4 but would handle L3, how could he get the L3 program on his computer.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 8:16 PM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:

Does anyone know if I bought a gold scholars today in the L4 program, what would I need to do to be able to run it on L3.

Purchase the package.  I'm assuming that you already have resources since you're posting in the forum so you will probably get some discount on your purchase (Check with a sales rep by e-mail for your best price) . If you haven't done so already, download L3 and synchronize your licenses after your purchase..  Whatever you don't already have in the package can be downloaded from

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks.

Once you have downloaded everything (or perhaps get a disk if the download is a problem and you can wait for the disk to come), close and reopen LDLS and allow it to discover resources (notice in bottom right of screen).  Once this is done, you're in business.

Edit:  What you won't get in L3 are any of the resources made specifically for L4.  Most will run on L3.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 8:29 PM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:

After you synchronize licenses go to http://www.logos.com/product/8775/logos-bible-software-3-media-only-kf-dvd-rom and order the disc with the media or scroll to the bottom of the page and run the Gold update script.

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 8:17 AM

David Paul:

Following up on my own remark, I suggest that Logos view the current L3 + L4 situation somewhat like New Coke vs. Coke Classic. Pepsi was kicking Coke's butt at that time in taste tests because Pepsi is much sweeter and Americans have a sugar fixation--which is why nearly EVERYTHING at Chinese restaurants has sugar in it and so many people say they like McDonald's gourmet coffee (it has about twice as much sugar as Starbucks). So Coke scratched 100 years of tradition and success to "compete" with Pepsi. Everyone in my family was incensed. We "hate" Pepsi...I would rather drink an off-brand, RC, generic or whatever over Pepsi. Plus, we LIKE Coke. The backlash, of course, was immediate and overwhelming.

I thought all along that the "suits" at Coke were doing this as an ingenious plan to prove the loyalty of Coke fans. No...they admitted they were bamboozled and then caught off-guard. Well, whether or not L4 was intended to replace L3 or not, the principle of serendipity should be acknowledged and enbraced. Although it is unlikely that any company would deliberately create two different programs to do the exact same thing, yet do so significantly differently--Logos HAS DONE SO. In my mind, having both programs in Logos is FAR BETTER than having just one. L3 may not have the shelf-life L4 will have due to cloud incompatibility and other issues (such as Bradley posted regarding IE9 conflicts). But it still has no superior when it comes to utility of notes integration. In that category, L4 isn't taking care of business...at all.

So I suggest that Logos just acknowledge that whether intended or not, they have TWO BIBLE SOFTWARE PROGRAMS (for the price of one!) that are an unbeatable tag-team for advanced bible study. Then REVIVE L3 as a vital entity and make a few enhancements. That's a win-win for everybody. Being a user who regularly has both programs open simultaneously, I know that my overall study experience is enhanced by having BOTH programs at my disposal, and my capabilities would be horribly curtailed if either were taken from me. For me, L3 is my baby, and L4 is my step-child, but I love and have come to appreciate both of them. At first, seeing that L4 wasn't "doing what L3 does--only better", I began to resent L4's presence. Now I have come to appreciate both programs for their own set of strengths...one of those strenghts being precisely that THEY AREN'T THE SAME PROGRAM AND CAN SIT SIDE BY SIDE ON MY COMPUTER. That is an odd but nevertheless unique strength, and it could become a POWERFUL marketing point. I just want to extend L3's shelf life as long as possible, and I see the above scenario as not just a whacky ruse to string it along, but an actual PLAN for Logos to cover all of the bases and take hold of this advantageous circumstance of serendipity.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 8:32 AM

David Paul:

Following up on my own remark, I suggest that Logos view the current L3 + L4 situation somewhat like New Coke vs. Coke Classic. Pepsi was kicking Coke's butt at that time in taste tests because Pepsi is much sweeter and Americans have a sugar fixation--which is why nearly EVERYTHING at Chinese restaurants has sugar in it and so many people say they like McDonald's gourmet coffee (it has about twice as much sugar as Starbucks). So Coke scratched 100 years of tradition and success to "compete" with Pepsi. Everyone in my family was incensed. We "hate" Pepsi...I would rather drink an off-brand, RC, generic or whatever over Pepsi. Plus, we LIKE Coke. The backlash, of course, was immediate and overwhelming.

Totally off topic, but interesting.  I can't stand Coke because it's much too sweet and "sticky", i.e., it doesn't quench my thirst.  On the other hand, I rarely ever drink Pepsi either preferring 7-Up.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 27040
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 3:17 PM

David Paul:
But it still has no superior when it comes to utility of notes integration. In that category, L4 isn't taking care of business...at all.

I agree that the notes in L3 are more functional than in L4. However, since neither support the element most crucial to me - being able to link a single note to multiple passages - I have to go with L4 and its search of "My Content" as the more useable. I will admit that the loss of the ability to support tables makes this a very close call.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 3:39 PM

Me, I LOVE Libronix 3 and never use L4. I open it up sometimes just to keep it up to date. Please Logos keep working on L3 and keep making resources compatable with L3.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 3:47 PM

MJ. Smith:
I will admit that the loss of the ability to support tables makes this a very close call.

Is the attached what you were looking for when you speak of tables?  The gridlines are hidden.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 27040
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 3:52 PM

George Somsel:
The gridlines are hidden.

quite true ... and in updating you can loose them entirely although I will admit I haven't tried recently.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS