Logos Bible Software 4.2a Now Shipping

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 2 2011 8:54 AM

Logos Bible Software 4.2a Now Shipping

Check out  a complete list of what's new in 4.2a and tell us what you are looking forward to. 

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 9:41 AM

I love the new “Illustrations” section that has been added to the Passage Guide. I tried it out and it looks very helpful! I have a lot of books in Logos and finding sermon illustrations used to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. This is will help a lot! Thanks!

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 9:44 AM

I think the new Large Text searching is going to be the most useful to me. Since most books use larger text for their headings I'll be able to hone in on relevant article much easier.

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 11:40 AM

The developers caught a small bug in the update. If you have already updated to 4.2a, you can type "Update Now" in the command bar to get 4.2a SR-1, otherwise it will download the update automatically the next time you launch Logos 4.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 12:07 PM

Jayson--I can imagine team Logos is going to make a lot of people happy with this release.  For me, the illustrations will be a frequently used section of the PG.  Nice.  But I know the "Download scheduler" and the "release notes" features will be very, very appreciated by Logos users around the globe.  And it will cut out some forum discussions, too!  Surprise  Wink

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 49
Eric S. Hatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 12:11 PM

I have checked out the new 4.2a and am disappointed some speed issues weren't dealt with.  I see no improvement whatsoever in this area.  I am on a Mac that is less than a year old.  It has the i7 processor with 4GB of RAM.  When I am editing my Prayer List, I click the 'Add Request' button and about 45 seconds later I get a blank prayer request that I can begin entering.  45 seconds?  That is ridiculous.  This is the biggest of my 'slow' issues.  I have just learned to live with the others though.  I love Logos, but I am getting very frustrated.  When I talk with folks, I tell them not to upgrade to version 4.

Posts 49
Eric S. Hatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 12:12 PM

BTW, this was after indexing.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 12:19 PM

Eric S. Hatfield:

I have checked out the new 4.2a and am disappointed some speed issues weren't dealt with.  I see no improvement whatsoever in this area.  I am on a Mac that is less than a year old.  It has the i7 processor with 4GB of RAM.  When I am editing my Prayer List, I click the 'Add Request' button and about 45 seconds later I get a blank prayer request that I can begin entering.  45 seconds?  That is ridiculous.  This is the biggest of my 'slow' issues.  I have just learned to live with the others though.  I love Logos, but I am getting very frustrated.  When I talk with folks, I tell them not to upgrade to version 4.

There is a *big* difference in performance between the PC and Mac versions. The PC version still has its performance issues, but the Mac version continues to be much slower. It's not really fair to warn people away from v4 on the PC (which is what I assume you are doing, since there is no real upgrade otherwise for the Mac) based on experiences from the Mac.

That said, 4.2a does bring some noticeable performance improvements to the Mac version, just not to all areas. Progress has been slower than I would like, but there has been progress and it encourages me that such improvements will spread throughout the Mac version.

Posts 49
Eric S. Hatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 12:55 PM

I guess I should have played around with it a little more.  It does seem to be a little more responsive in some areas.  I just wanted to try out my most frustrating feature (prayer requests) first.  I then went to the release notes and found no mention of fixing speed issues.  So, the fact that I can see some progress in some areas, I am encouraged.  I hope to see continued progress.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 1:06 PM

Eric S. Hatfield:
I then went to the release notes and found no mention of fixing speed issues.

For some reason, these sorts of things have not been showing up in the release notes. I'd been doing like you - check the release notes, grumble to myself at no indication of performance fixes. But then I realized that performance was improving anyway. Highlighting, resource scrolling, and passage lists have been three areas where I've seen a lot of improvement. My wish list has at the top continued improvements to passage lists, followed by similar improvements to clippings. I don't use notes much so I'm not as bothered there, and I never use prayer request lists so I've no idea how performance is for that feature.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 1:20 PM

Eric S. Hatfield:

I have checked out the new 4.2a and am disappointed some speed issues weren't dealt with    .......        I am on a Mac that is less than a year old.  It has the i7 processor with 4GB of RAM.  When I am editing my Prayer List, I click the 'Add Request' button and about 45 seconds later I get a blank prayer request that I can begin entering.  45 seconds?  That is ridiculous.  This is the biggest of my 'slow' issues.  I have just learned to live with the others though.  I love Logos, but I am getting very frustrated.  When I talk with folks, I tell them not to upgrade to version 4.

Peace Eric and Every Blessing!     *smile*

Do you really do that?  Tell people not to upgrade to L4?  Perhaps you should reconsider that advice?  Probably none of my business -- however, you posted this publicly on the Logos Forums -- perhaps at least you might consider not blaming the Windows version for weaknesses you perceive in the Mac version.

Joy in the Lord Always!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 6
David Harp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 1:58 PM

I ran the update and all has run smoothly along with the indexing.  My question is when it says I am getting new resources - is there a way to see what "new" resources have been added to my library?  Thanks for the help.  Dave Harp

Posts 13367
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 2:02 PM

David Harp:

I ran the update and all has run smoothly along with the indexing.  My question is when it says I am getting new resources - is there a way to see what "new" resources have been added to my library?  Thanks for the help.  Dave Harp

Any 'new' resources that are downloaded after 4.2a is installed (it's a new feature!) will appear on the home page. See this thread for more details: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30538.aspx

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 7:24 PM

I just did a search using Heading Text in my Sermon Illustrations collection. I am finally getting search results that I can use. Searching for "zeal" and limiting my search to Heading Text only gave 12 results. But these were 12 really good results. Searching for All Text on "zeal" in the collection gave me 230 results. Searching my entire library for "zeal" provided 22,012 results.

I really love the new features! Thanks for listening!

Posts 23
James F. Joyner III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 12:38 PM

I am glad to see, appearing frequently, the message that there is an update being downloaded. 

I do wish there was a list (or log) of downloads to my computer.

Posts 13367
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 1:47 PM

James F. Joyner III:
I am glad to see, appearing frequently, the message that there is an update being downloaded.

After 4.2a is installed, new downloads will be shown on the home page (after they are downloaded).

Posts 1
Darren Quilley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2011 11:16 AM

I have enjoyed getting to know and become familiar with Logos4 over the older version Logos 3.  It is so different and, in my opinion, so much better.  The one thing I enjoyed about Logos 3 over the new version is that when I did a search for a word in the Bible I could directly copy any results by highlighting the text (right in the search) and then pasting it into my document.  I can no longer do that.  Now I have to click on the reference, let it open in a new window, and then I can highlight the text and paste it.  It is a small complaint, but it sure would be nice if we could just highlight, copy, and paste right form the search like we used to be able to do in Logos 3.  The difference between to the two methods of cutting and pasting is that you don't get any of the reference material coming over when pasting out of the search results, and of course you do when you paste directly out of the actual open Bible text.  I would like to see that change in the future back to the way that searches were more accessible in Logos 3.  Thanks.

Posts 9096
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2011 12:05 PM

Darren, that feature in L3 was handy. However there are ways to get what you want in L4 easier than what you are doing.

If you want all the search results, use Print/Export. You can send the results to a number of MS programs, including Word if you want.

If you want to select the results choose "Save to a Passage List" from the search menu. In a Passage List you can delete verses you don't want, add others you do, and either copy one or more using the clipboard or use Print/Export for all of them.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5
Nicholas Nunayon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:29 PM

I am looking forward to the Bible comparison tool that was in Libronix or logos 3. The tool was thebest for me but unfortunate you have discard it in logos 4 please can you bring the tool in your next update as it gives opportunity for parallel bible versions, passage in all version, parallel passages and harmonies. where are all these tools and a lot more in logos 3.

Posts 21985
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:38 PM

Hi Nicholas

There is the text comparison tool in Logos 4 - see http://wiki.logos.com/Text_Comparison - but is not available in the lower base packages.

What specific functionality are you looking for?

Graham

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS