NASB77 lacks tags that were in Logos 3

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 2 2011 12:29 PM

In Logos 3, the original New American Standard Bible (1977) had tags for Greek/Hebrew words. I also could use Navigate to Associated Word, to find the corresponding word in the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament. When I open the NASB77 in Logos 4, all of the tagging information is lost and there is no Sympathetic Highlighting option (equivalent to Navigate to Associated Word in Logos 3). I am disappointed that Logos 4 does not give me the same access to information with this resource that I had in Logos 3.

Posts 77
Geneva Smith Krag | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 1:09 PM

I agree.

Are these missing capabilities under development or have they been deemed fulfilled in the NASB95?

Posts 24689
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 3:54 PM

Niels Krag:
have they been deemed fulfilled in the NASB95?

The history of NASB77's re-introduction has a big bearing on its capabilities + NASB95 replacing it. By comparison, the NIV2011 does not yet have the capabilities of its 1984 predecessor.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7943
LogosEmployee

We do not plan to support the Associated Word feature from LDLS3 (which was originally a LLS 2.x feature) in Logos 4.

Posts 44
Steve Rajczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 5:49 AM

This is a very unfortunate aspect that the associated word feature is not available in Logos 4, and I suppose will not be in Logos 5.  I am not going to spend all that extra money to be able to get the reverse interlinear books.

Posts 4751
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 6:16 AM

You better pack a lunch if you are going to start listing all the important features from L3 that were left out of L4 & L5. I would trade every single new feature added since L4 was introduced to get a currently supported program that has the features now missing from L3.

Sort of ironic that they call L4 and L5 by names like Silver, Gold, and Platinum. They forgot the most appropriate...

Lead.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 12:28 PM

David Paul:
You better pack a lunch if you are going to start listing all the important features from L3 that were left out of L4 & L5.

Thread => What is more useful in Libronix 3.0g ? (especially compared to Logos 4.5a) has a number of Libronix 3 features plus replies by Bob Pritchett (CEO).

Steve Rajczyk:

This is a very unfortunate aspect that the associated word feature is not available in Logos 4, and I suppose will not be in Logos 5.  I am not going to spend all that extra money to be able to get the reverse interlinear books.

Logos 4 minimal crossgrade is $ 114.95 with dynamic discounting for resource(s) in your Logos Library => http://www.logos.com/product/28576/logos-4-minimal-crossgrade that includes Reverse Interlinears that work in Logos 4 and Logos 5.

Caveat: NASB95 has Reverse Interlinear resources.  Personally dreaming of NASB77 Reverse Interlinear resources, which currently do not exist.  Thankful for option to run Libronix 3.0g and Logos 5 at the same time.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 1:09 PM

I agree, Harry. The NASB 77 edition is, I believe, the best English translation for serious Bible study. I wish LOGOS 4 would add the tagging information as well as an interlinear. 

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 11:25 PM

Steven L. Spencer:
. The NASB 77 edition is, I believe, the best English translation for serious Bible study. 

I don't find the "new" NASB (1995) as consistent as the "old" NASB (1977), if you want a formal equivalence translation. It still beats the alternatives, but at times I am surprised by what they have changed. The Logos Text Comparison feature is really useful for seeing the changes.

Steven L. Spencer:
. I wish LOGOS 4 would add the tagging information as well as an interlinear. 

I would be using the NASB77 every day as my basic English study Bible, if it had the Greek/Hebrew tagging like the NASB 1995 has. The ability to do sympathetic highlighting and searching on Greek and Hebrew words is critical to doing serious Bible study. In this sense, the old Libronix "link to associated word" and ability to look up words in BDAG Greek lexicon made the NASB77 so more useful than it is in Logos 4/5, even though these were based on Strongs numbers rather than Greek and Hebrew lemmas. The plain NASB77 Bible available for Logos 4/5 is simply not as useful for study since it lacks a comparable feature. Unfortunately, when my Libronix version of NASB77 came into Logos 4, the Strongs numbers tags were stripped off.

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 1:53 AM

Harry Hahne:
Unfortunately, when my Libronix version of NASB77 came into Logos 4, the Strongs numbers tags were stripped off.

Have you checked this with Logos - for a number of reasons it makes no sense. You may be right but if you haven't checked, I'd suggest that you do.  Of course, I might consider it an improvement as I'm not a fan of Strong's numbers.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 6:21 AM

Steven L. Spencer:

I agree, Harry. The NASB 77 edition is, I believe, the best English translation for serious Bible study. I wish LOGOS 4 would add the tagging information as well as an interlinear. 

Agree

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:08 PM

MJ. Smith:

Harry Hahne:
Unfortunately, when my Libronix version of NASB77 came into Logos 4, the Strongs numbers tags were stripped off.

Have you checked this with Logos - for a number of reasons it makes no sense. You may be right but if you haven't checked, I'd suggest that you do.  Of course, I might consider it an improvement as I'm not a fan of Strong's numbers.

Unfortunately, the NASB77 resource lacks reverse interlinear tagging for Logos 4 and Logos 5 => http://www.logos.com/product/7431/the-new-american-standard-bible-1977-edition  LIkewise lacks Strongs numbers.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:42 PM

Yes, KS4J, but the question is why the Strong numbers were lost if they had been assigned. I'm suggesting that Logos ought to be asked to verify that the loss of data was intentional. The key word being LOSS. With the muddle of L4 release, this could be an accidental loss that was never reported to the correct person.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4751
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 7:37 PM

If there's one thing we know about Logos, it's that they are more than willing to "lose" valuable features.

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 9:21 PM

David Paul:

If there's one thing we know about Logos, it's that they are more than willing to "lose" valuable features.

I'm trying to work this out logically:

• Possibility 1: I am not included in "we" since I did not know this.
  • Possibility 2: I know more than one thing about Logos and therefore am not obliged to know the "one thing"
  • Possibility 3: The condition is untrue therefore the conclusion is unknown
  • Possibility 4: I'm a half-glass full type person.

Posts 4870
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:21 AM

David Paul:
Lead.

Lol.  I get where you are coming from in terms of missing features from L3.  But do appreciate L4  &  now L5.  

Only if we could have the best of all three Logos Worlds.  

Posts 4870
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:32 AM

David Paul:

]

MJ. Smith:
Possibility 3: The condition is untrue therefore the conclusion is unknown

MJ there is no proof to say the condition is untrue.

MJ. Smith:
Possibility 4: I'm a half-glass full type person.

This is the proposition that is true.  You are a half-glass full type person. And I say that with true respect and appreciation of you.

There was a time when in Logos history when I would have questioned what David has said but not anymore.  Logos has had too many broken promises when it comes to L3 features being put back into L4 - the icing on the cake was when their accountability page suddenly disappeared off the website with no explanation.  I love what they have done with L4 and L5 but it does not gloss over or hide the broken promises.  Added to that the way they compromise the truth when it comes to marketing on too many occasions.  I can no longer be a glass-half full person when it comes to Logos.

Posts 4751
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 1:50 AM

MJ. Smith:

David Paul:

I'm trying to work this out logically:

• Possibility 1: I am not included in "we" since I did not know this.
  • Possibility 2: I know more than one thing about Logos and therefore am not obliged to know the "one thing"
  • Possibility 3: The condition is untrue therefore the conclusion is unknown
  • Possibility 4: I'm a half-glass full type person.

Possibility 5: You are overlooking the obvious.

Riposte: Tables & Charts in Notes.

Idea

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 2:24 AM

David Paul:

Riposte: Tables & Charts in Notes.

Idea

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a computer nerd. I understand why they were lost - not to say I approve of the technical choice Logos made but i understand the consequences of their technical choice. However, I have heard the Logos rationale for not having some form of a fuzzy search ... and there were no technical hurdles, merely a narrow view of their potential usefulness. Shall we split the difference.Wink

David Paul:
Possibility 5: You are overlooking the obvious.

Low probability - if I'm overlooking it, it is by definition not obvious (at least to me)Big Smile

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 4:37 PM

Harry Hahne:

I would be using the NASB77 every day as my basic English study Bible, if it had the Greek/Hebrew tagging like the NASB 1995 has. The ability to do sympathetic highlighting and searching on Greek and Hebrew words is critical to doing serious Bible study. In this sense, the old Libronix "link to associated word" and ability to look up words in BDAG Greek lexicon made the NASB77 so more useful than it is in Logos 4/5, even though these were based on Strongs numbers rather than Greek and Hebrew lemmas. The plain NASB77 Bible available for Logos 4/5 is simply not as useful for study since it lacks a comparable feature. Unfortunately, when my Libronix version of NASB77 came into Logos 4, the Strongs numbers tags were stripped off.

Bibleworks has both 77 and 95 tagged. And many more.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS