God will never "tempt" us, but he will "test"us...

Page 4 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 104 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:16 PM

Are we all being tempted or tested with our responses in this thread?

Let us return to the original question of how to apply Logos software.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:18 PM

You noticed the star  under your name avatar? Stick out tongue

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:23 PM

Schezic:

You noticed the star under your name? Stick out tongue

David Paul:
Point being?

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:24 PM

Ask Ray.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:26 PM

Schezic:

Ask Ray.

Cool  It is tempting.....  Stick out tongue

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:40 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Are we all being tempted or tested with our responses in this thread?

Let us return to the original question of how to apply Logos software.

Questions of this type, "How would you use Logos to answer this..." almost always devolve into a theological discussion/debate.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:49 PM

Brad Fry:
Questions of this type, "How would you use Logos to answer this..." almost always devolve into a theological discussion/debate.

Makes one wonder if some of them are premeditated debate bait. Stick out tongue

Posts 4889
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:12 PM

Schezic:

David Paul:
Point being?

Don't be bull-headed...er ... Ram-headed. Even if you don't agree with me...Ray Charles could see the "Point"

Hmmm. Ram-headed or not...I'm not even sure whose post your quote was supposed to be related to. I kinda see how the quote is related to the whole topic, but I just finished explaining to a friend how the passage you quoted is often misunderstood. Therefore, simply quoting a scripture gives no indication of how you or anyone else intends it to be understood. Your own commentary is required. I rarely "assume" I understand someone based on limited information. And a 2000 year old quote is even more limited than I normally encounter.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:33 PM

David Paul:
And a 2000 year old quote is even more limited than I normally encounter.

Sorry, I am not aware of any documented quotes of Christ that are much newer than 2000 years. If the time frame limits your interpretation, I really wouldn't know what to say that would help you. Maybe consult your logos resources as to the meaning of the passage. Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:15 PM

David Paul:
I'm not even sure whose post your quote was supposed to be related to.

edited for errors

generic point  of information: The little icon to the left of a poster's name is a link to the post he is replying to. Clicking on the "REPLIES"  icon will take your page view to the post. It only gets confusing if the poster clicks randomly on another post to reply. If a poster just wants to add to the ongoing discussion they can hit "Quick Reply" on the lower right of the latest post. The black arrow points to the described icon (in the red circle)    

How about that little red star?  Big Smile

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:29 PM

Matthew C Jones:
How about that little red star? 

I am whelmed. Thanks for the fake star. That is as close as I will ever be to an MVP. Big Smile

Posts 8603
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:40 PM

Matthew C Jones:
generic point  of information: The little icon to the left of a poster's name is a link to the post he is replying to.
 Actually that icon is the link to the CURRENT post, the words "replied to" hold the link to the thread you're replying to.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:48 PM

Now I'm Really Confuzzed. Two men with badges having conflicting stories. Confused Who can You Trust?

Posts 8603
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:49 PM

Schezic:

Now I'm Really Confuzzed. Two men with badges having conflicting stories. Confused

Welcome to the forums, consider yourself initiated.  :-)~

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 6:55 PM

Thomas Black:

Matthew C Jones:
generic point  of information: The little icon to the left of a poster's name is a link to the post he is replying to.
 Actually that icon is the link to the CURRENT post, the words "replied to" hold the link to the thread you're replying to.

OOPS! Indifferent

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 7:29 PM

Matthew C Jones:
OOPS! Indifferent

OK. That makes it a bit clearer which lawman I should trust. Smile Kinda like Andy Taylor and Barney Fiffe.

Posts 28762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:11 PM

Matthew C Jones:
A search of my library returned 8 hits for the phrase "the Devil is God's Devil" in quotes. All directly attributed to Luther with no footnotes as where Luther said it.

I may certainly be wrong - but I don't think Luther said it.

1. Luther spoke German (Saxon?) and Latin not English
  2. Translated to English I think the phrase is more like "the devil is God's ape"

But I don't want to get involved in either a philological or theological debate ... so who has Luther in the original German? I'll take your opinion in the matter (unless you give me reason to think your joshing).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:12 PM

Matthew C Jones:
edited for errors

Matthew C Jones:

So very glad you didn't edit out my star.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:23 PM

MJ. Smith:
I may certainly be wrong - but I don't think Luther said it.

Do you believe the quote from "What Luther Says" is authentic? Is Ewald Plass a credible source?

Posts 28762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:48 PM

Schezic:
Do you believe the quote from "What Luther Says" is authentic? Is Ewald Plass a credible source?

Not if he doesn't give a source for the quotation. There are a number of misquotes that "everyone knows" that get perpetuated from book to book without anyone actually checking it. What did George Washington say when he chopped down the cherry tree? Beats me. He may or may not have chopped down the tree. He may or may not have said "I cannot tell a lie".

So no - someone needs to give me a source in Luther's writings or, perhaps, a contemporary biography of Luther (contemporary to Luther not to me) before I'm convinced. I'm not saying he didn't - merely that I personally don't know that he did. I do know that he called the Devil "God's ape". I also know that current scholarship shows that the word "ape" in English comes from Proto-Germanic which mostly likely borrowed it from the Celts; it appears to be a non-Indo-European addition to the language.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 4 of 6 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS