SERIOUSLY?! Tell Me Installation Can't Really Be A Problem

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 19 2011 11:51 AM

I am one of those weird guys that like to actually get a CD in my hands when I buy a new resource.  Today I received my new Harvard Classic set and followed the enclosed instructions to install it.  Huh?  Didn't make too much sense. For example, there was no "account management" place to click.  Even though it wen through the entire installation process the books do not appear in my Logos program.  I even went to the webiste listed on the CD sleeve under the activation code: www.logos.com/serial  But there was nothing there to help me EXCEPT I noticed that there was a small line that said the page has last been updated in 5/2007!!!! HUH?!

So now it seems that the installation instructions enclosed in my new disk AND the web address were all geared for Logos 3.  Does Logos assume that just because you want your new resource on a CD you must be running Logos 3?  Why would the instructions on a new CD resource be written just for Logos 3 users?  Apparently the installation process is different if you have Logos 4.  I must be missing something here.  Honestly, my blood pressure has raised considerable over this issue.  And, for the record, I am a big Logos fan...

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 11:54 AM

The only Logos 4 CDs that are being produced are for the base packages. Everything else is assumed to be LIbronix.

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 12:02 PM

As Kevin pointed out, Logos has discontinued the CD option for Logos 4. CDs are presently only in L3 format. However, there is no reason that your Harvard resources should not appear in L4. Logos has no doubt updated your license file by now. Usually they would automatically download. If you don't have them type Update Now in the Command Bar and hit Enter. L4 should discover that you need the files downloaded.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 12:12 PM

"Update now" does nothing and the resources are not in my library.  I wonder why Logos would make the CD option available when, according to their records, I have Logos 4 and it will not work?  Maybe this is laying too much on them but I did not know that CD products could not be integrated into my Logos 4. 

Posts 734
Theolobias | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 12:45 PM

Garrett Mercury:
I wonder why Logos would make the CD option available when, according to their records, I have Logos 4 and it will not work?

Logos can't know if you're going to use the CD with a (re)installed Libronix or with L4, even though they know that you have been using L4 in the past. There are users going back to Libronix, so ordering CDs is still possible. Anyway, if 'Update now' or 'Update resources' doesn't work, send an email to Customer Service on monday and ask them to unlock the resource.

"Mach's wie Gott - werde Mensch!" | theolobias.de

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 1:00 PM

Theolobias:
send an email to Customer Service on monday and ask them to unlock the resource.

I regret that you have had this type of experience. It "should" have ben easier. As advised, when you call Customer Service, it may be that they will ask you to read to them the unlock code serial number that is on your CD sleeve for the Harvard Resource.

(I still run Libronix 3. On my email order receipt there is a web link that opens a download script. Once I have loaded the Libronix product AND "synchronized" my licenses the resource is available for both products. [Unfortunately] some generous individuals order CDs as gifts. Logos does not really know who will be activating the CD until it is in a machine and the serial number is being used--or when someone phones in to have the serial number activated ).

Again I am sorry that this "Harvard" product experience has not been pleasant.

All the best,

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 1:35 PM

Garrett Mercury:
So now it seems that the installation instructions enclosed in my new disk AND the web address were all geared for Logos 3.  Does Logos assume that just because you want your new resource on a CD you must be running Logos 3?

Yes.   About 14 months ago the product pages clearly stated Logos 4 resources are available ONLY by download and CD Rom versions require Libronix 3 to run. This was placed on every product description page where a choice for CD was offered. I am sorry you missed it somehow.

I do not have the instructions you received with the CD but I remember a few steps were sometimes required to get your resources installed and recognized. Pardon me if this is elementary, or something you have already tried without satisfaction.

Make sure Libronix is closed. before proceeding with these steps:

1. Insert the CD and it should start setup. If not run the setup file manually
  2. Libronix will install the titles only to your Libronix account summary
  3. Close Libronix and re-start Libronix
  4. Once again, close Libronix and re-start Libronix a second time.
  5. You should be prompted for an activation code when you start up Libronix.
  6. After you enter the code that came with the CD it should tell you it is registered.
  7. Then, sync your licenses with the Logos servers
  8. Menu bar "tools/ library management/ synchronize  licenses"    click next, click close when it is done.
  9. You should be able to open Logos 4 and watch Harvard Classics be automatically added to your L4 library

Please note you probably need to run "Tools /Library Management /Location Manager" if you want to copy the Libronix files from the CD on to your hard drive. That is not always done when the licenses are installed. It is a relic from the old days when people ran resources from the CD because hard drive space was at a premium. You do not have to have the L3 resource on the hard drive for L4 to pick up on it. Just be sure the licenses is installed, activated, and synced.

If all this fails, call Customer Service on Monday.   (You probably did all this, didn't you?  Crying )

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 2:14 PM

Garrett Mercury:
"Update now" does nothing and the resources are not in my library.

That is curious and may require a call to CS on Monday to resolve, but try the Scan command in Logos 4 to see if you can get the resources into L4. Scan <path to your optical drive> hit Enter then close and reopen L4 with the CD in the drive. It should take longer with Preparing Library than usual which indicates it is scanning in the resources. If this doesn't work there may be a problem with your license file and CS can resolve that.

The wiki has info on the Scan command here: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Commands

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 2:22 PM

Garrett Mercury:
"Update now" does nothing and the resources are not in my library.

"Update Now" will do nothing for Logos 4 until the license for the resource has been registered in your account. For whatever reason, that hurdle has not been cleared yet. This could be a lack of syncing licenses with the Logos servers or it could be the failure of the code to unlock the installation. I would at least give the process one more shot with my list of steps.

The open/close, open/close steps were supposed to have been eliminated but try it anyway. You should also check your account "Orders" and see if you have a link to install to previous versions. I don't know if they provide that when you order by CD Rom.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 4:09 PM

thanks for all of your responses.  I did try to call customer service but they are closed today.  And I sure did miss seeing anyplace that if you bought a product and used the CD option that it would not work on Logos 4.  That completely escaped me.

I am CS will help me on Monday to get it straightened out.

Posts 10258
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 4:42 PM

Garrett Mercury:

thanks for all of your responses.  I did try to call customer service but they are closed today.  And I sure did miss seeing anyplace that if you bought a product and used the CD option that it would not work on Logos 4.  That completely escaped me.

I am CS will help me on Monday to get it straightened out.

Garrett, I am sure CS will be able to help you. If you need it faster, just install the Logos 3/Libronix Software onto your PC from here: http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls , (maybe it's a good idea to update it after installation under Tools/Libronix update, current version should be 3.0g) and make sure to use the same email address as in your Logos 4 account.

Since you say you like CDs in your hands, most propably any shipments with Logos resources you order anyplace as CD-ROM and any Logos resource you may be able to pick up at local bookstores will be in Logos 3 format. The packages will usually display the red Libronix Logo. For me, I received the "Essential IVP Reference Collection" just Thursday and it was a breeze to install it on my existing Logos 3 software, as the autorun on the CD-ROM and the installer does everything by itself.

So don't be scared with the 10 9 commandmends posted here in the thread, usually it should run smoothly and automatically. You just need to type in the Licence Key printed someplace on the CD cover or so when prompted. When you have the resource in Logos 3, nearly all you need to do is go to Tools/Library Management/Synchronize Licences. Then the Logos server knows that you are a legitimate owner of the resource and will present it to your Logos 4 automatically at next startup (i.e. it loads the resource in Logos 4 format from the server and re-indexes it on your machine). Thus you'll have all the CD-ROM-based resources in two programs.

Hope this helps,Smile

mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 5:28 PM

NewbieMick:
So don't be scared with the 10 9 commandmends posted here in the thread, usually it should run smoothly and automatically. You just need to type in the Licence Key

I'm trying to get Garrett to the screen where he can enter that number.

The rationale behind the enumerated steps is for a reason only know to Logos, the new resource license is not being updated when you start the program but when you exit it. Therefore you haave to exit it the first time to save it, and exit it a second time to register it. Then upon the third start-up of the prpogram it will be recognized. This has not been the case every time so it is annoying if you don't know about it. Around January 2010 I thought they had fixed the Libronix install to eliminate the two step restarts issue.

You can give it a try. It isn't hard. Just remember Naaman the leper and what his servant said.   2 Kings 5:13  Coffee

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 10:12 AM

Matthew C Jones:
It isn't hard

It isn't any harder than the proper use of a spell-checker!  Embarrassed

I apologize to everyone for the horrible typing in my posts. I finally switched from IE to Firefox last year to make use of the built-in spell checking but I seem to be blind when it comes to the little red underlining.    I guess I really should wear my bi-focals when typing.

Again, I apologize.

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 2:12 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I guess I really should wear my bi-focals when typing.

Did you make typos? I hadn't noticed. It is amazing what the human mind can do in reading.

BTW I am intrigued by your new avatar. It looks like a picture of the candles on George Somsel's birthday cake (all 39 of them) Big Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 3:59 PM

Jack Caviness:
Did you make typos? I hadn't noticed. It is amazing what the human mind can do in reading.

Do you wear bi-focals too? Geeked

Jack Caviness:
I am intrigued by your new avatar. It looks like

It is the fireworks from the Tanabata festival held in Sendai, Japan. (Brings back happy childhood memories.)

I posted the new avatar a couple days before the earthquake struck off the coast of Sendai.

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 2:40 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Do you wear bi-focals too? Geeked

Actually, I wear tri-focals (short, medium, far) and have for over 30 years.

Matthew C Jones:
It is the fireworks from the Tanabata festival held in Sendai, Japan

Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS