Reading View and the Trackpad

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4738
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 25 2011 5:14 AM

I have taken to the reading view since columns became a feature.

However as an inveterate follower of the text with the cursor I am often caught out when the page jumps 'up' or 'down' due to an incidental touch of the track pad with a second finger. It is not only a single jump though - last evening I watched as the page shifted time after time due to an over long drag.

I wonder, seeing as Reading View is meant for reading, whether this level of sensitivity is appropriate and if it would not be better to limit such movements to single page shifts.

Doing that would, at least,  allow me to recover my place reasonably easily.

Posts 995
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:23 AM

Mike Binks:

I have taken to the reading view since columns became a feature.

However as an inveterate follower of the text with the cursor I am often caught out when the page jumps 'up' or 'down' due to an incidental touch of the track pad with a second finger. It is not only a single jump though - last evening I watched as the page shifted time after time due to an over long drag.

I wonder, seeing as Reading View is meant for reading, whether this level of sensitivity is appropriate and if it would not be better to limit such movements to single page shifts.

Doing that would, at least,  allow me to recover my place reasonably easily.

YesYesYesYesYes

I've also found this frustrating.  A single-page shift would help immensely.  

Good call, Mike.

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:42 AM

Posts 4738
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 11:38 AM

Fernando A Gonzalez:

You are right Fernando. However I didn't want to suggest abandoning track pad control altogether.

You did read my original email didn't you?   :-)

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 9:07 PM

Mike,

I see your position (i.e., finger position) now.  I guess I was responding to Richard's post...

Blessings, Fernando

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 9:08 PM

Richard Wardman:
A single-page shift would help immensely.  

I referred to this post...

Posts 4738
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 11:19 PM

Fernando A Gonzalez:

Richard Wardman:

I understand that. It just that Richard's post, taken in context, was agreeing with my disquiet.

And now the thread has gone off in a direction that doesn't address that point.

I knew about the arrows and how to change pages that way. What I wanted to find out was whether anybody else agreed that using the track-pad was problematical.

Posts 995
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2011 1:25 AM

Mike Binks:

Fernando A Gonzalez:

Richard Wardman:

I understand that. It just that Richard's post, taken in context, was agreeing with my disquiet.

And now the thread has gone off in a direction that doesn't address that point.

I knew about the arrows and how to change pages that way. What I wanted to find out was whether anybody else agreed that using the track-pad was problematical.

I concur!  I was referring to your original post Mike.  The arrows are handy to be sure, but the trackpad gesture would be even handier if it were a single-page shift, rather than a several page shift!  

Also, (and this is going in a completely different direction altogether!) because of the direction of the arrows (left-right), it seems counter-intuitive that the trackpad gesture should be up-down.  But that's probably just my OCD!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS