Expositor's Bible Commentary -- Original vs. Revised

Page 3 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 88 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 7:04 PM

Carl Sanders:
Since I have the original, with the extra discount I may be able to convince myself

Smile  I do, but only in harcover and on Pradis.  arrrrrrrgh.  SOME day, I will own this new set. 

which are some of the volumes you value in this set?  (either old or revised)  I assume Carson makes the list, but beyond his . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 6223
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 7:42 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Carl Sanders:
Since I have the original, with the extra discount I may be able to convince myself

Smile  I do, but only in harcover and on Pradis.  arrrrrrrgh.  SOME day, I will own this new set. 

which are some of the volumes you value in this set?  (either old or revised)  I assume Carson makes the list, but beyond his . . .

Here are my top 7:

1.  Carson on Matthew

2.  Tenney on John

3.  Boice on Galatians

4.  Morris on Hebrews

5.  Kaiser on Exodus

6.  Harris on Leviticus

7.  VanGemeren on Psalms

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 12:33 AM

The "upgrade" price is about $100 too high IMHO. However, this is not completely surprising for a Zondervan product. 

Posts 511
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 6:42 AM

I have the EBC for Logos and have pre-ordered the revised EBC.  The original is very useful and I anticipate more of the same from the revised edition.  But my question is what do Logos (or Zondervan?) mean when they say that "This new series contains 60% more content..."?

The original EBC has 10078 pages and the new, revised EBC has 11939 pages: a difference of 1861 pages. The number of additional pages works out as about 18% of an increase, so what does "60% more content" mean?  Does anyone know?

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 8:13 AM

Gordon Jones:
what does "60% more content" mean?

I too wondered about this. For instance, is the barely revised Carson (on Matthew) included in the 60% and, if so, is the entirety of this work counted (as it is, technically, a revised work)? 

I appreciate that the 60% is, no doubt, an approximation rather than a precise figure, but further clarification would be appreciated, particularly as the price is $16 higher (for 40% less content) than the entirety of previous version (I bought the previous version on prepublication).

Posts 7
Jesse Hillman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 8:27 AM

Hello, all! Good questions and discussion here. I plan to be back on later today to (hopefully) answer some of these questions.

Jesse

Zondervan

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 8:29 AM

Jesse Hillman:
Hello, all! Good questions and discussion here. I plan to be back on later today to (hopefully) answer some of these questions.

Thanks, Jesse, really appreciate any information you can provide.

Posts 2733
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 8:55 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Bohuslav Wojnar:
To be true I really need (or want?) the Michael Brown's Jeremiah.

tell me about that, Bo--what makes it special to you?

Yes, I know it might be very subjective opinion. I just really like to read and listen to anything Michael Brown teaches. His debates with rabbis are also excellent IMHO. I would really like to have a commentary written by this great IMHO messianic scholar.

Bohuslav

Posts 7
Jesse Hillman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 10:31 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

Hopefully some of the following is helpful.

--Jesse, Zondervan

New content vs. revised content

I agree that it’s difficult to grasp this given that this revision has been carried out differently than other commentary revisions.

That being said, you can quantify the number of books that receive new commentaries by new contributors.

Old Testament

• Commentary on 17 books is brand new, by new contributors
  • Commentary on 3 books revised and updated by other scholars
  • Commentary on 19 books revised and updated by original contributor

New Testament

• Commentary on 17 books is brand new, by new contributors
  • Commentary on 3 books revised and updated by other scholars
  • Commentary on 7 books revised and updated by original contributor

What's difficult to quantify is the amount of revision and updating. It was significant for some books, while less so for others.

The 60% “more content” reference being used reflects our best approximation of what’s new. It would include, obviously, the brand new commentaries from new contributors (which is easy to quantify) but also a small amount reflecting what other contributors have added as they revised the original.

One way to think about it: you get brand new commentary on 34 books of the Bible by some of the very best contemporary scholars. Commentary on all remaining biblical books has been brought up to date and revised/expanded as necessary, thus ensuring it’s in line with current scholarship.

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 10:50 AM

Jesse Hillman:
One way to think about it: you get brand new commentary on 34 books of the Bible by some of the very best contemporary scholars. Commentary on all remaining biblical books has been brought up to date and revised/expanded as necessary, thus ensuring it’s in line with current scholarship.

Actually, Jesse, that is very helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this information.

I will ponder over the next couple of days as to whether to place an order while the offer of the upgrade is still available.

Thanks once again.

Posts 511
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 11:42 AM

Hey Jesse,

Thanks for that information - it is good to know more about the composition of new, updated and original material!

Clearly, however, the Logos page (http://www.logos.com/product/20185/expositors-bible-commentary-revised-edition) which claims that the revised commentary series "contains 60% more content" is in error, when it ought to use the word "new." Perhaps you could ask Logos to correct this misleading statement.  Smile

Blessings!

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 12:10 PM

Gordon Jones:
Perhaps you could ask Logos to correct this misleading statement.

You are right! It actually says two different things. Here are two screen shots from the resource page:

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 5:02 PM

DAL:

Dan DeVilder:

Carl Sanders:

Here are my top 7:

1.  Carson on Matthew

2.  Tenney on John

3.  Boice on Galatians

4.  Morris on Hebrews

5.  Kaiser on Exodus

6.  Harris on Leviticus

7.  VanGemeren on Psalms

Blessings!

DAL

Thanks for your input, DAL.  I have not used the OT as much in them, although I think I have used Psalms, Exodus, and Isaiah in the past.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 5:04 PM

Andy Evans:

Jesse Hillman:

Actually, Jesse, that is very helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this information.

Ditto.

Posts 139
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 6:53 AM

I a pretty sure I am going to have to pass on this one. I have the the first version and like it.  This revised edition seems like they rewrote large portions of it.  If so, then it seems to be YAC (Yet Another Commentary).  That's not a bad thing, but I see nothing really telling me why I would want this one over the other or even as a companion. 

Posts 7
Jesse Hillman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 6:58 AM

Gordon Jones:

Hey Jesse,

Thanks for that information - it is good to know more about the composition of new, updated and original material!

Clearly, however, the Logos page (http://www.logos.com/product/20185/expositors-bible-commentary-revised-edition) which claims that the revised commentary series "contains 60% more content" is in error, when it ought to use the word "new." Perhaps you could ask Logos to correct this misleading statement.  Smile

Blessings!

Gordon / all, this has been changed. Thanks for pointing this out. Best,

Jesse

Posts 511
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 9:55 AM

Thanks Jesse Smile

Posts 73
Pavel Škoda | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 1:03 AM

I would like to ask LOGOS about price policy of  Expositor's Bible Commentary, Revised Edition (13 vols.). Now in the pre-order state it costs 320$.

http://www.logos.com/product/20185/expositors-bible-commentary-revised-edition?utm_source=logostalk&utm_medium=blog&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=product

Is this final price or just "intorductory" price (which is going to be set higer after some time)?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 3:14 AM

Pavel Škoda:
Is this final price or just "intorductory" price (which is going to be set higer after some time)?

Prepub prices always go up when the product ships (except in the few cases where there's no discount to start with). 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 6:00 AM

I love the original and if you are on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you purchase the original. 

Page 3 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS