Doctrines List of

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
Garfield Joseph | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 3 2011 8:01 AM

Is there a list of doctrines that are covered in the Bible.

For example I have heard about the doctrine of faith and the doctrine of the holy spirit.

Is there a list of all the biblical doctrines.  If so can you send me a list?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 9:43 AM

When one refers to the doctrine of faith it refers to the systematization of everything the Bible says about Faith etc.

As you can imagine there is great disagreement on many points of doctrine or what truths from the Bible belong to which category. If you are looking for a list I suggest opening up the Table of Contents panel in a couple of Systematic Theologies. Traditionally a systematic theology will cover all the major points of doctrine, usually one chapter per area.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 11:05 AM

Garfield Joseph:
Is there a list of all the biblical doctrines.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

There are many different lists of "biblical doctrines." The table of contents of most theology books will give you such a list. I do not know what is in your library so I cannot for sure point you to one. Also look through the topics in Bible dictionaries or encyclopedias. There are also dictionaries of theological terms available in Logos.

There is no "universal list”. What is included in the list depends on one's theological perspective. I am ministering in a culture where both God's and Satan's use of "Dreams and Visions" is a major theological topic. Not many printed "theology" books will cover that subject in the depth needed here. I have developed my own way of covering theological subjects that fits in this "story based" (arctic, subsistence) culture.

In my proud humble opinion, many western theological systems are flawed in that they start with a list of opinions, topics, viewpoints, etc. and then go to the Bible to prove the point. In other words they start with a logical system and impose in on God's Word. I would rather start with God's Word, see how it addresses my needs and issues, and the needs and issues of those I love. Then I must apply God's teaching to my life and finally share what God's Word says about these needs and issues to those around me. God's Word, not some logical system or set of rubrics, must drive the inquiry. Western systems tend to be deductive, that is they treat God's Word as an object, rather than treating it an infinite eternal source that must be studied inductively. Westerners tend to study "about" the Bible and theology, instead of studying the Bible without the trappings of human wisdom and reasoning. If we start with some “system” then our “system” is superior to what we are studying and may mold our results. 

All those things said, I was trained in and have taught in the Western method for many years, and have academic degrees from that system. Coming to love people in a non-Western culture has, I believe, begun to mature my perspective. (Books on Grounded Theory Research (Glaser, Strauss and Corbin) also helped me break out of my Western mold.)

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 12:45 PM

Be Bible Christians, not systems Christians.—Charles Simeon

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 1:11 PM

Just for the benefit of getting you started (or perhaps frustrating you) here are a couple of links to Systematic Theologies and Biblical Theologies that Logos offers - there's quite a bit more filtering to do in order to find what you're looking for but it's a start.

Biblical Theologies (36) http://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Biblical+Theologies

Systematic Theologies (90) http://www.logos.com/products/search?Resource+Type=Systematic+Theologies

Each has their own approach to categorizing.  

If you can guide us toward what kind of information you're looking for we might be able to suggest particular resources to assist.

I will make one suggestion as an imperfect starting spot, Mind you it's not without it's bias (none are) but because it touches on all the major theological methods it may provide a starting point: 

The Moody Handbook Of Theology Edited by Paul Enns

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 26836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:08 PM

Frank Fenby:
In my proud humble opinion, many western theological systems are flawed in that they start with a list of opinions, topics, viewpoints, etc. and then go to the Bible to prove the point. In other words they start with a logical system and impose in on God's Word. I would rather start with God's Word, see how it addresses my needs and issues, and the needs and issues of those I love. Then I must apply God's teaching to my life and finally share what God's Word says about these needs and issues to those around me. God's Word, not some logical system or set of rubrics, must drive the inquiry. Western systems tend to be deductive, that is they treat God's Word as an object, rather than treating it an infinite eternal source that must be studied inductively. Westerners tend to study "about" the Bible and theology, instead of studying the Bible without the trappings of human wisdom and reasoning. If we start with some “system” then our “system” is superior to what we are studying and may mold our results. 

Well said. Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:11 PM

*smile*

Yes!  Thank you, Frank!

Peace!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 26836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:11 PM

Thomas Black:

I will make one suggestion as an imperfect starting spot, Mind you it's not without it's bias (none are) but because it touches on all the major theological methods it may provide a starting point: 

The Moody Handbook Of Theology Edited by Paul Enns

Or, if you prefer to start nearer to the beginnings of systematic theology start with the classic: Summa Theologica

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS