New from Morris Proctor: A Practical Video Course on Preaching

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24
Steve Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 3:40 PM

Wow, so that's it! What I need is to be a "skilled" preacher and "skilled" in preaching, that way I can be a "better speaker or preacher". Man. ol' Paul really missed it when he was at Corinth, he said he tried to avoid "superiority of speech" (NASB) and "lofty language". He said he came "in weakness and in fear and much trembling." He even described his speech and message as not being "in plausible words of wisdom." He only had a "demonstration of the Spirit and power" to rely on, he didn't have the I-beam! How did ever accomplish anything letting everything "rest ... in the power of God." Poor, poor Paul, not to mention the Corinthians! (http://ref.ly/1Co2.1-5)

All facetious aside, I am sure this is a commendable 'tool' and 'resource'. But I think this blog post really missed the mark of what preaching is about. I realize it is intended as 'sales tool', but I really just had to comment because neither this tool or any other will take the place of Holy Spirit empowerment. 

I would suggest telling people dissatisfied with their preacher's preaching to start or continue praying earnestly for him and I would ask if they every applied any of his sermons. Even the best of sermons left unapplied is a disappointment.

Posts 24
Steve Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 3:47 PM

Oh, and before someone takes me to task, I fully understand and agree that preacher should work to hone his craft, if you will. I think it is his responsibility to the One who called him. Personally, I try to never rest on my laurels and evaluate each sermon for content, clarity and effectiveness in getting the message across.

Posts 1
Stephanie Benson Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 3:33 PM

I agree somewhat with you my brother in Christ, however I believe the Holy Spirit will direct the flow and bring the word, many styles, many approaches, many presentations, one God One word Jesus

Posts 3
Ernest Tuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 12:48 AM

Good orator, well thought out presentation, but is that all?  Why are men always wanting to appear good before a congregation?  “My wasn’t that well thought out, great doctrine, great homiletics” is that all that people have heard, a man speaking?  When preachers depend on their knowledge, their experience, their eloquence, style, personal magnetism, psychology, their energy, they are depending on a broken stick.

There is a power that is spoken of in the Scriptures that the world knows nothing of.  For it cannot be obtained by the usual worldly methods.  And sad to say this power which is there for the Church, is not commonly known by the Church.  This is not the place to go into this deeply, but sufficient to say God’s man is before Him with clean hands and a pure heart and full of the Holy Ghost. Example, read story of Christmas Evans the Welsh preacher.

Ernest Tuff

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS