Commentary on the Context of Scripture texts?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3619
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 9 2011 7:08 AM

Are there any commentaries on the material we find either in The Context of Scripture or Ancient Near Eastern Texts?

I'm looking fore in-depth books/resources that are either in Logos format or otherwise.

mm.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 7:23 AM

The closest to a traditional commentary in Logos is http://www.logos.com/product/6717/canaanite-myths-and-legends which is three resources, the texts, the translation, and then the notes by text line. Others (e.g. Amarna letters / texts) have document intros but not the line-by-line. I'm guessing you probably already have these.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3619
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 7:36 AM

thanks Denise! It's not a bad resource, however, I am looking for a full-fledged set of commentaries regarding the post. Have a great day :)

mm.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 8:04 AM

Milkman, in my experience commentaries on non-Biblical texts (i.e. not OT, NT, or Apocrypha) are rather rare and/or spotty in coverage. This is probably because most of the religious traditions these texts reflect are dead. To study them I think your best bet would be to turn to journal articles and essays in books.

If you had a particular set of texts that you wanted to study it would be easier to produce recommendations. The Context of Scripture covers a broad swath of time and texts. For example, if you narrow it down to Caananite religion and Ugaritic texts then you might want to look at this collection: http://www.logos.com/product/5765/ugaritic-library

Posts 3619
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 8:48 AM

Hey Kevin, thanks for the advice. Good collection which I don't have "yet." A little too pricey right now and golfing season is about to start up again in the cold Canadian Province of ours. Definitely on the wish list.

mm.

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 11:09 AM

The Ugaritic Baal Cycle includes commentary on those texts. SBL's series The Writings from the Ancient World (16 vols.) also contain a fair bit of commentary. In both cases, these aren't merely commentaries on the COS texts, but contain new translations of the works that they comment on.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS