Greek VERB search in Ephesians

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1
Eric Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:14 AM

Can anyone explain how to do a search for verbs in the book of Ephesians chapter 4 displaying the VOICE TENSE and MOOD in some sort of list??

Thanks

Posts 14
Craig Downey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:40 AM

Not quite sure if this is what you are looking for, but you could run an exegetical guide in either version 3 or version on Ephesians 4 and set your properties so that the guide only picks up verbs. It should already display tense voice and mood.

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:03 AM

Eric Johnson:

Can anyone explain how to do a search for verbs in the book of Ephesians chapter 4 displaying the VOICE TENSE and MOOD in some sort of list??

Thanks

This CAN be done in Logos. I'll try to walk you through it.

1. Open a SEARCH window and choose BIBLE.

2. For SEARCH RANGE create a range of Eph 4.

3. For SEARCH IN - choose your English translation: ESV, NASB, NKJV, etc. - it must be one of the inter-linear enabled versions.

4.  In the search line type: @V and hit enter / you want the ANALYSIS view.

5. This can be customized by you by clicking and dragging columns, right clicking to add/remove columns; you can click and drag column(s) headings into the space at the top and Logos will arrange the results accordingly.

There are some video tutorials around that show this - I think one of Mark Barnes videos teaches this beautifully. Check the WIKI page for tutorial videos and try to spend some time browsing those - they are a huge help.

Posts 13342
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:06 AM

Ron has the right approach. One small correction: In the first step, you should open a search window and choose Morph (not Bible). Then you'll need to make sure Logos Greek Morphology is selected.

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:21 AM

Mark,

Two things. First, I am used to going to MORPH, but in L6 it looks very different. I was only able to do the steps above by going to BIBLE. I don't understand the new look in L6 yet.

Second, which of your videos covers the detailed features and approach to using the ANALYSIS view?

BTW - If paradigm charts are wanted, the new MORPH CHARTS (on the TOOL menu) are great. Eric can hoover over each verb in EPH 4, get the lemma, type g:lemma and hit ENTER to get all the forms of that lemma that are in the bible.

Posts 9961
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:23 AM

Mark,

it seems Ron's step works and gives the same # of results (72 in 29 verses, I ran against NIV84 in both cases), but doesn't have the nice dropdown to select.

EDIT: may as well insert a screenshot

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 21846
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:23 AM

Hi gents

Worth pointing out the original question was raised about five years agoSmile

Ron Corbett:
First, I am used to going to MORPH, but in L6 it looks very different. I was only able to do the steps above by going to BIBLE. I don't understand the new look in L6 yet.

Can you expand on this? Morph looks the same to me in L6 as it did in L5

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:48 AM

Graham Criddle:
Can you expand on this? Morph looks the same to me in L6 as it did in L5

Hi Graham,

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember being able to search by range,etc. None of those options appear on my screen. Also, how about being able to choose a Morphology search in Hebrew vs. Greek? First type h: and then @xxx ? Where are the options to choose? 

Posts 21846
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 6:58 AM

Ron Corbett:
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember being able to search by range,etc. None of those options appear on my screen

Searching by range is still possible via the dropdown

Ron Corbett:
Also, how about being able to choose a Morphology search in Hebrew vs. Greek?

This is still available

Ron Corbett:
First type h: and then @xxx ? Where are the options to choose? 

Not a problem!

Do you not see these options?

Posts 26245
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 12:05 PM

I wonder if Ron was looking at an inline search - which does look different.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 21846
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 2:20 PM

MJ. Smith:

Could be - but if you select the "morph" option for inline search you get all these features anyway.

And I've only just seen this dropdown. Has it been there all the time?

Posts 2066
LogosEmployee

Graham Criddle:

The dropdown is available in resources that support more than just Basic search.

Posts 8895
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 2:42 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Graham Criddle:

The dropdown is available in resources that support more than just Basic search.

Somehow I had missed that too. Thanks for pointing this out.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 21846
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 2:48 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Graham Criddle:

Thanks Andrew

That makes senseSmile

Graham

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 3:28 PM

MJ. Smith:

Thanks MJ and Graham. This is the screen I have now. [NOTE: no dropdown menu choices ????]

And your next question:   Logos Bible Software 6.0 SR-4   6.0.0.3778

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 3:29 PM

Posts 26245
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:01 PM

I haven't a clue as to how to get that!

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 5:35 PM

MJ. Smith:

I haven't a clue as to how to get that!

I know. I opened it this morning and that is what I had. Don't know how long it has been going on. Curious. I don't know what to do; will probably call Tech support when I get some time. I am hoping I won't need to re-load the whole program, reindex and such.

Posts 21846
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 11:16 PM

It may be to do with how you chose to take a screenshot but it looks as though you are missing buttons for "Home", "Library", "Search" and "Documents". Is that actually the case?

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 4:41 AM

No, it does look like that, but it was the way I selected the image for the screenshot. But you can see how those menu choices are missing. I just discovered it when I was trying to answer the original post (whose question was answered I hope).

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS