Page 1 of 8 (146 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 145 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 8
Wes Porter | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:32 PM

I can't say I am too happy to find out that I have to pay another $69.00 to Alpha test another Mac application. I am shocked actually by this simple fact that I have paid for a sub par program that was promised more features which now I have to pay for again?

Or am I mistaken and I get a 4.0 upgrade for free???

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:36 PM

You can test the Alpha for free. When Logos finalizes the Logos 4 engine I'm guessing current users will be able to use the new engine without paying again.

Posts 8
Wes Porter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:50 PM

I have already paid for 3.0 Windows version, I have now paid for a defunct product that will not be supported with updated features (Current Mac Version). If I want the 4.0 windows version I have to pay another $69 dollars to get it and the alpha mac version.

Why don't the Mac Users just get the new engine for free. I guess I don't really understand if I get a free upgrade to 4.0 with the Mac version eventually (which doesn't seem clear) then shouldn't I get it now with both platforms?

I feel we are being nickeled and dimed on the engine. 

Wes

Posts 3
Abigail | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:51 PM

Where exactly would we locate this Logos 4 Alpha Engine for Mac (assuming it's for Mac since this is posted on the Mac forum?) Thanks!  Abby

Posts 8
Wes Porter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:54 PM

By the way a link to the disclaimer

http://www.logos.com/mac/disclaimer

Notice this language - Please Note: You may purchase Logos Bible Software 4 for Mac Alpha right now, and use it on Mac or Windows

Posts 1698
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:08 PM

Wes Porter:

The Mac engine will be free from now on. You can download the (very early) alpha at:

http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LBS4MacInstaller/Logos4Mac.dmg

We do strongly recommend at least the minimal crossgrade, because it comes with some fantastic content that helps Logos 4 really shine, but it's not at all required.

Sorry for the confusion!

Posts 3
Abigail | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:10 PM

Thanks so much Bob!

Posts 27
Dave Ketah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:19 PM

So, did I pay ~$130 this morning for something I can now get for free?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:29 PM

Bob Pritchett:
We do strongly recommend at least the minimal crossgrade, because it comes with some fantastic content that helps Logos 4 really shine,

If it includes the Hymn sheets, pictures files, historical people/places/things...you will not be disappointed crossgrading.

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:32 PM

Dave Ketah:

So, did I pay ~$130 this morning for something I can now get for free?

No, you purchased the new resources in the package, the engine is given away free in windows

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 27
Dave Ketah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:35 PM

Phew!  I'm already having a wacky enough day without adding another thing! Smile

Posts 94
Jonathan Griffiths | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:21 PM

OK, so if we install the new Logos 4 engine, but don't pay for the upgrade, we'll have all our existing resources, right? And they'll work within the framework of Logos 4?

It's just a resource upgrade that we pay for - just wanting to clarify! That said, the upgrade path makes me want to move up from the Leader's Library!

L5 on Lenovo Thinkpad, i5, windows 7 pro | Logos App on Samsung Galaxy S3 | Logos App on tablet soon

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:29 PM

Jonathan Griffiths:

OK, so if we install the new Logos 4 engine, but don't pay for the upgrade, we'll have all our existing resources, right? And they'll work within the framework of Logos 4?

It's just a resource upgrade that we pay for - just wanting to clarify! That said, the upgrade path makes me want to move up from the Leader's Library!

Correct. All would work well, you would not enjoy some of the new (very nice) stuff Logos offers in the LE packages. You are right. It is good time to get something better. Look to the Compare List of Base Packages.

Bohuslav

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:33 PM

Bob, please read this as a friendly question and not a criticism (it is difficult to express emotion via text). I would like to add that I feel a bit ripped off having to pay for another engine so early after paying for the Mac engine (which is not working so well with Snow Leopard). That aside I have some questions:

I use Original Languages with a Mac engine. Why do I need to upgrade to the new ver 4 OL? The books now included are really not worth the money (for me)

Are you saying (based on what is written above) that Mac users will never have to pay to upgrade to version 4?

Could you please explain to the Mac users the time line expected? Are we talking days, weeks, Months or a year? This one is important for me - I may revert to PC if it is a long time away.

I use Logos every day and am a little frustrated at the moment. My exegetical guide wont work properly and now I have no idea whether I need to upgrade, cross grade or down grade!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:59 PM

Bob,

Users will not have to pay for the Mac engine. You will be able to get the new engine for free. Currently you can download the Alpha for free. When Logos 4 for Mac is complete, you will be able to get the full engine for free.

Right now what you would pay for is resources. Logos 4 includes a host of new features that are not useful if you do not have the resources installed. You can crossgrade an existing library to a version 4 library for a small cost, providing you with the new resources, or you can upgrade to the next library up the ladder and get even more resources.

The engine is free. The resources cost. If you want access to all the new features, you will have to pay so you can obtain those resources, just like when you buy books. 

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 4:10 PM

its been 9 hours and this this STILL isn't indexed yet????  

at least its bogging down all my resources.

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 4:16 PM

Bob,

Alpha 1, brother. :) In the early betas of the PC version, some people reported 15 hrs or so of indexing. That improved significantly as development continued, it will improve for the Mac version. But it will still take a while Logos is digging through all of your resources to build lightning-fast search sets.

That said, I've had continued issues indexing Logos for Mac. That is, even though indexing will complete, it often seems to start indexing again for no apparent reason. Hoping the recent build will fix that. I'll find out when I'm done indexing!

Posts 71
Colin Thornby | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:05 PM

I too, find this most frustrating. I bought a product expecting it to work as it should and with a full feature set. Logos for Mac 1 never has had either of those things. Whilst I welcome Logos 4, and the idea that I will finally have a product that might do what I expect and have the features I've paid for (many months ago), I am astounded that we're still in Alpha territory. Not even a Beta? Not even an indication of a timeline?

I really do understand the 'primacy of the PC' for Logos, but guys, if you want us to go forward with you I think you really need to do better.

I think, also, it would be more honest to not point the www.macbiblesoftware.com page to the www.logos.com/4 page, as it gives the impression of a finished product available for the Mac, which is manifestly not the case. If you do that, at least move the link to the disclaimer to the landing page, not to the next one.

Colin

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:07 PM

Wes Porter:

I have already paid for 3.0 Windows version, I have now paid for a defunct product that will not be supported with updated features (Current Mac Version). If I want the 4.0 windows version I have to pay another $69 dollars to get it and the alpha mac version.

Why don't the Mac Users just get the new engine for free. I guess I don't really understand if I get a free upgrade to 4.0 with the Mac version eventually (which doesn't seem clear) then shouldn't I get it now with both platforms?

Quick to complain but slow to recant.  The Mac Alpha was always free, you just had to ask instead of complaining.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:23 PM

Colin, I think you bring some legitimate questions. 

Pointing the Mac to the Logos 4 page is misleading.  It should point to the Alpha page if anything.

I think the reason, in part, Mac is in Alpha is a decision about not paying to design Logos 4 twice.  I was in the Beta group for Windows (but am I Mac user).  The features changed a lot over the past 6 to 8 weeks.  If Logos was developing both Windows and Mac at the exact same time, they would have to pay two groups of developers to make the same changes.  By finishing Windows first, it make a clear path for the Mac developers to develop features that are already "set".  Point being, it keeps costs low.  At least that is my opinion, but Bob may have something better to offer.

That being said, I would like a timeline of some sort 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years?

Logos had 15 developers working on "Windows and only 5 on Mac, so how does that impact the timeline?

All good questions.

Meantime, I am quick to add that I trust Bob and the Logos team to be fair with us.  They have demonstrated solid Christ-like character over the years, so I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt when I don't know all the answers.  That is my 2cents--you can decide if it is worth even that.:-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Page 1 of 8 (146 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS