Page 4 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 145 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 14
Br. Raymond Minot | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:33 AM

Thanks so much for your reply Joe. So, just to make sure I understand... those features are all eventually going to be incorporated for free. There's nothing additional that needs to be purchased. Right?

Posts 14
Br. Raymond Minot | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:40 AM

Um, one more thing. How exactly do I obtain the Alpha version without paying for it? So sorry if this has already been explained, but I just can't find it.

Thanks!

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:43 AM

Br. Raymond Minot:
So, just to make sure I understand... those features are all eventually going to be incorporated for free. There's nothing additional that needs to be purchased. Right?

Unfortunately, no, not exactly. The Biblical people, places, and things features all require resources. In a sense you get the feature for free - it's written into the code already - but the feature is useless if you do not have the resource for it.

This is why both PC and Mac users have to pay a small fee if they want access to all the features. Mac users are not being singled out - everyone has to pay for these resources. The fee is for the resources, just like you have to buy any other resource in the Logos library. I imagine that like any other resource, Logos itself has to pay licensing fees for these resources so they would lose money if they gave them away free. Not a good practice for a business. :)

Again, it makes sense when you think of these resources as what they are - extra resources being added to your library which must be purchased just like any other resource in your collection. 

I don't like to pay money any more than anyone else but I understand why Logos charges for these resources.

Posts 14
Br. Raymond Minot | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:30 AM

Many thanks... especially for the download link.

Getting back to the "add-ons"... I completely understand what you're saying. However, and this is a big however, as I said, I made the purchase fully knowing that I would be able to eventually have these "add--ons". I understand you can't give an answer. And, I wish I had proof of the promise. I'm really not trying to complain. In fact, most of the mac complaints I cannot associate myself with because I knowingly purchased a product that I knew was still under development. So, even though the engine is capable of handling this functionality, it really doesn't do any good unless the resources are there. Right? Or am I missing something?

I understand what you're saying about good business practices, and agree... but those who were already Mac customers, at least I imagine, were expecting to eventually have this capability. No?

Does anyone from Logos have a comment?

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:37 AM

Logos 4 for Mac will be able to do everything Logos 4 for Windows can do. The things we are waiting to see are not add-ons, per se, but features in the program itself that are still being developed for the Mac. Bob has said development continues and new builds will be posted every two weeks, the first new build hopefully coming this Friday. A lot of work remains, but a lot has already been done and within a few months we should really start to be pleased.

We will eventually have all the capability the Windows version has and with this we will also have to pay the same thing the Windows users are paying.

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:50 AM

Chris Roberts:

We will eventually have all the capability the Windows version has and with this we will also have to pay the same thing the Windows users are paying.

Agreed. However, the current Mac users already paid the 69 dollar cross grade price. Do they have to pay it again?

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:56 AM

Dewayne,

My guess is yes, depending on what you mean. The previous crossgrade fee was to obtain the Mac engine. From now on, if I understand correctly, the Mac engine will be free. There will be no crossgrade fee.

But the crossgrade fee currently offered by Logos is to go from a version 3 library to a version 4 library so Mac users with a version 3 library (version 1 engine) will have to pay the crossgrade fee to get the resources of the version 4 library. If you are satisfied with your library and do not want the features that require new resources, you will not have to pay anything to use Logos 4 for Mac.

Posts 14
Br. Raymond Minot | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 12:01 PM

Okay. So the previous post seems to give me some more info. Thanks... but let me try and re-state what I meant.

Upon purchasing the mac version, not having been a previous Logos user, I was fully aware that there was limited functionality when compared to the Windows product. No problem. However, at that time, what were considered add-ons for Windows (Bible people, places, text pronunciation, hymns, etc.) were clearly indicated that they did not work on the mac version, but would be made available. Does this ring a bell with anyone else? These are the things that I'm looking for. At the moment, I'm not looking to upgrade my library with the nifty and wonderful additions (I mean new books included in the library package) that Logos has graciously added. All I'm looking for is the functionality that was promised. Does this make more sense?

So, now if I understand correctly, to get the functionality that was promised, we have to pay for it. Somehow, that doesn't seem right. Either that, or I've misunderstood something... again. That, unfortunately, would not be something new.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 12:41 PM

Br. Raymond Minot:
(Bible people, places, text pronunciation, hymns, etc.)

Several questions come to mind:

1. Was "Biblical People" even offered in V3?
  2. Was "Biblical Places" even offered in V3?
  3. Is Text prounounciation something that you are not going to have if you just upgrade the engine?
  4. Are hymns something you're not going to have if you just upgrade the engine?

I'm thinking possibly you are misunderstanding something.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 30
Jordan Tatom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 12:55 PM

I, of course, am no authority.  But, I am hoping that once Logos 4 for Mac catches up to Logos 4 for Windows (which will be a good bit and understandably so), they will work on updating Logos 1.2.2 for Mac until it is comparable to Logos 3 for Windows in terms of functionality, because when we cross-graded we were under the impression that we would eventually have a Mac program that functions just like the Windows (Logos 3) program.

The logos website still says: "Note: Logos Bible Software for Mac lacks some of the features of the Windows version. We plan to add many of these features in upcoming versions." Concerning Logos for Mac 1.2.1 (http://www.logos.com/mac/engine)

I went ahead and paid for the jump in packaging and have the Scholar's Library Logos 4 Alpha on my Mac.  I look forward to seeing the progression of both Mac versions.

Posts 71
Colin Thornby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:03 PM

JordanMontgomeryTatom:

I look forward to seeing the progression of both Mac versions.

Don't hold your breath. I think we'll find it is a case of "Logos 1 is dead, Long Live Logos 4". But your points are essentially those I made earlier and to which I received no real response except "you have an Alpha."

Posts 30
Jordan Tatom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:25 PM

Yea,  that makes sense especially once Logos 4 for Mac has all the bells and whistles.  Thank you.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:38 PM

Jordan,

Throughout beta-testing the Mac 1 engine and once the engine was released, as we asked Logos for new features the Logos response was frequently that they are working hard on a completely new version of Logos. The Libronix 1 engine was the culmination of years of work which never resulted in a great product. Releasing it was Logos' way of giving *something* to Mac users to use while they worked on the new version. 

I do not expect to see any more updates period for the Libronix 1 engine. All new work will be on Logos 4. This does not violate any promise made, Logos will have in the Mac version all the features found in the PC version, including the features still being added to the PC version. That was the promise, that's what they will do. It won't happen overnight, but this time it will be a matter of months and not years.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:40 PM

Colin,

Send an email or give a call to Logos. If you send an email, there will be a delay as they are swamped, but I am sure they will get back to you. While Logos folks do participate in these forums, the forums are not an official support method. It is a place for users to share experience and advice with other users. That said, the Logos folks do participate quite a bit but there should be no expectation of an official answer through the forums.

Posts 71
Colin Thornby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:54 PM

Chris Roberts:

Colin,

Send an email or give a call to Logos. If you send an email, there will be a delay as they are swamped, but I am sure they will get back to you. While Logos folks do participate in these forums, the forums are not an official support method. It is a place for users to share experience and advice with other users. That said, the Logos folks do participate quite a bit but there should be no expectation of an official answer through the forums.

I broke my promise not to contribute further to this particular thread, so while I appreciate your reply I won't enter further into it.

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 2:11 PM

Br. Raymond Minot:
Thanks so much for your reply Joe. So, just to make sure I understand... those features are all eventually going to be incorporated for free. There's nothing additional that needs to be purchased. Right?
Sorry I missed this before, but the answer is yes. If you buy L4, all the features will be included in all updates/upgrades.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 8
Wes Porter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:28 PM

Joe Miller:

Good question.  I think it would be good for a Logos rep to answer and make sure the correct info is given.  I am also a bit confused on how the Mac upgrade/crossgrade will work for 1.2.2 vs. L4.

That is funny. I thought it was all clear as mud. 

and Joe all your links are broken to your blog by the way. 

http://www.theobjectivetruth.com

Wes

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:19 PM

Thanks Wes.  ARe you talking about the links in my signature?  I just clicked them both and they worked Huh?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 59
Chris Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:19 PM

I was told that the only support was via the forum, must have misunderstood something.  They told me no phone help only on the forum.  

Page 4 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS