parallel resources evidently not "fool" proof

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 82
Jim Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 10 2011 1:04 PM

These feature is great but one problem I have. I created a resource entitled Greek Grammars. But when I "click" the parallel resource icon in a given book included in that resource this particular on never shows up. In Wallace's Grammar I always get "no parallel resources." I have tried renaming, the "include" button is checked. Are there exceptions that I don't understand?

Posts 19078
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 1:11 PM

Parallel resources are only meant to work for resources that have the same index type (Bible reference, Headword). So you can have parallel Bibles, and parallel Bible dictionaries (look up this same Scripture reference in another Bible in this collection, or look up this same headword in another Bible dictionary). But parallel Greek Grammars doesn't make any sense in that there's no way to find the same spot in a related grammar, since the books do not have their content lined up in a logical/indexed fashion the way Bibles and dictionaries do.

Posts 82
Jim Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 4:30 PM

Thanks, I checked my other custom parallel resources for Hebrew, which I thought was giving me everything I had configured, but it too excludes the grammars. They could index by subject type because these are mostly common among different grammars. Maybe that could be a future feature. It would be nice.

Posts 19078
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 6:29 PM

I think it would be a really technically challenging task to do what you're asking for. Even though the topics are similar and might even be named the same from grammar to grammar, those topics are not conducive to an "addressable" space in a book the way book/chapter/verse in a Bible or commentary and an alphabetical list of words in a dictionary or encyclopedia. To say "jump to the place in some other grammar that talks about the same topic that this page I'm looking at in the current book is talking about" requires artificial intelligence. It's not a simple mapping of an address to another address in a similar resource that is addressed by the same address space.

I'm not saying it's not possible, nor that it's not a desirable thing to wish for. Just that I wouldn't get my hopes up in this lifetime if I were you.

Posts 82
Jim Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 7:50 PM

When I began my electronics studies 20 years ago, transistor theory had reached its "zenith" and transition speeds were thought to be at the maximum physically possible. GHz speed was incomprehensible. So maybe in my lifetime, but I'll take your advice and not be expecting it!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2011 9:17 PM

Workaround option: create a collection of Grammar(s), then search collection for grammatical item:

Collection search also illustrates parallel linking issue since some resources can have many relevant entries.

Another collection search option is Bible chapter and verse reference (or use Cited By tool).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS