Can MyTags be exported as keywords in BibTex export?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 487
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 17 2011 9:09 AM

I've just started using Zotero for managing citations.  I've exported my Logos library in BibTex format and imported it into Zotero.  I see that there are Logos Tags that have been imported also.  Does anyone know of a way to /exportimport MyTags as well?  That would be really useful, as I have my collections listed by MyTags, and it would make organising the Zotero library much, much easier.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2011 10:06 AM

John Duffy:
I've just started using Zotero for managing citations

Hi John and welcome to the forums!

I too use Zotero for working with my research work and love it for working with internet resources, PDF's and other "scraps" of information as well as my paper library.

I do not know how to do what you want, others will have to help you with that. I am curious about how you plan to use your Logos resources in Zotero and how you plan to keep the two library systems in sync.

Posts 487
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2011 10:43 AM

Frank Fenby:
I do not know how to do what you want, others will have to help you with that. I am curious about how you plan to use your Logos resources in Zotero and how you plan to keep the two library systems in sync.

Hi frank. 

Thanks for the welcome.  From the number of posts against my name it seems as I've just started posting.  However, the reality is that I changed my logon email address recently and went right back to 0 posts.  But that doesn't matter, and I wasn't up in the 000's like some others, or anywhere near it.

I'm currently in the process of mapping out how I will use Zotero alongside Logos.  I've been looking for a system for storing notes and illustrations taken while paper reading books, newspapers, MP3 recordings, etc.  I had been waiting for the Sermon/Illustration addin for Logos 4.  But that is too long coming, and although it would have the advantage of keeping all resources/notes etc in one searchable system, I don't think that it is ideal, especially with so few biographical fields.

So, I'll use Logos 4 for Notes/Clippings etc as I do at present.  But I export the biblio info to Zotero and remove all the tags (Keywords) and add a 'Logos' keyword using some VBA code.  When imported into Zotero, only Logos entries have the Logos tag.  I won't be adding additional info to those entries.  I'll simply use Zotero's Word plugin to insert the reference and create bibliographies.  The advantage of doing that over simply copying and pasting into Word straight from Logos 4 is that doing it with Logos 4 fixes the citation style before pasting, and it cannot be changed later.  With Zotero, the style can be changed so easily afterwards, which saves so much work if the actual publication and its chosen style is not determined when writing.  It would be great if Logos  was able to do that too, in which case I would not use Zotero for pasting Logos quotations.

For everything else, such as hard copy books etc, I'll keep not only the biblio info in Zotero, but also the notes in the 'info' tabs.  Essentially, that will act like  Logos 4 'Notes/Clippings'.  With many resources also attached as files, or linked as url's, it acts as a resource container also (for digital resources only).

For my own notes, such as thoughts that make up part of a paper etc, I had tried Scrivener for Windows (beta at present), but when I came across Zotero and its MS Word addin, I ditched that.  I'm thinking of switching from OneNote and Word docs to Zotero for background notes that might make their way into a finished document.

In terms of synching Logos 4 with Zotero, I believe that recently all updated or new resources have a modified field in the library.  I would sort according to last modified in the library.  Then open a collection for the purposes of exporting (the same one each time, I think), delete the resources from the last export, and drag over from the library only the newest resources.  Then export that collection as a BibTex file, and import it into Zotero.  Of course, I'd need to keep a log of the last date I exported resources, but that is easily done as the filename on the export.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS