NASB Paragraph Formatting

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 27673
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 7 2011 9:47 PM

Ryan - Since you seem to know what you are doing with these searches [I wouldn't know what to do!], have you thought about building your own personal book using PBB? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:02 AM

alabama24:
have you thought about building your own personal book using PBB? 

I am not Ryan, but I can testify that it takes quite a while to build a good version of this.  I like having it, but would have much rather bought it.  And we can't legally share it without the publishers permission.  I use the NASB almost exclusively so I wanted a NT in paragraph form. See for yourself how nice it is to read with everything stripped out.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 8:13 AM

I believe that I'm pretty quick at building personal books, and I'm alright with computers, but doing a couple hundred page book to my liking takes a couple hours. A normal book comes nowhere close to the complexity of a Bible...

If I had the docx of the NASB that logos uses, I think that I could, within a day, have a paragraph spaced NASB. If I had to start with just text, and convert to Logos, would take more time than I am willing to invest, and it would make more financial sense to purchase it instead of build my own.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:52 AM

Still interested in this... I'm willing to pay for it.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 7:10 AM

YesYes

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 516
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 7:18 AM

The original NASB 1977 is available in Logos, and is paragraph formated.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 7:26 AM

:(

'95 update was a pretty big update, I would greatly prefer this version.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 7:53 AM

Ryan:
In my library of Bibles, the only Bibles I have in NASB is a pre-95 edition. I don't understand why this would be in non-paragraph format.

Logos offers the 1977 NASB with paragraph formatting => The New American Standard Bible, 1977 edition that does not have reverse interlinear tagging.

Looking at a printed 1995 NASB, all verse numbers appear vertically aligned near the left margin, which is easy for quick visual scan to find verse number.

Ryan:
I don't think any reproduced PBB Bible is going to be as reliable, streamlined, and functional as what is released by Logos Bible Software.

Concur.  Thankful for Logos 4 Text Comparison, which can be done chapter by chapter to verify spelling.  Files forum has => American Standard Version 1901 - Personal Bible without Chapter and Verse #'s 

Note: the New American Standard Bible (NASB) is a revision of the American Standard Version.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:00 AM

Ryan:

'95 update was a pretty big update, I would greatly prefer this version.

Suggest email to Logos product suggestions => http://www.logos.com/about/contact with reference to this thread.  Since Logos has a quick way to navigate to verses, perhaps the Lockman Foundation would allow a paragraph formatted NASB 1995 edition for Logos use, which does not require "modern" vertically aligned formatting of the verse number by the left margin.  Also, Logos has "Bible Text Only" option, which can vertically align verse numbers in all Bibles.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:01 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Ryan:
In my library of Bibles, the only Bibles I have in NASB is a pre-95 edition. I don't understand why this would be in non-paragraph format.

Logos offers the 1977 NASB with paragraph formatting => The New American Standard Bible, 1977 edition that does not have reverse interlinear tagging.

I meant to say "In my library of Bibles, the only Bibles I have in NASB that don't have paragraph formatting is a pre-95 edition. I don't understand why the 95 updated in Logos would be in non-paragraph format."

Haste on my part... and I apologize for the confusion.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 9:11 AM

Ryan:
In my library of Bibles, the only Bibles I have in NASB that don't have paragraph formatting is a pre-95 edition.

Wonder if verse numbers are vertically aligned ?

After looking at five printed 1977 NASB Bibles and three 1995 NASB Bibles, noticed all of them have vertically aligned verse numbers.  Paragraph formatting allows verse number to appear anywhere.  Hence, personally a bit surprised by Logos 1977 NASB => The New American Standard Bible, 1977 edition having paragraph formatting that does not match hard copy pages.  Thankful can check "Bible Text Only" in Logos 4 if want to see verse numbers vertically aligned.

Concur with desire for removal of vertical verse number alignment in NASB 1995; actually would prefer option to not show chapter and verse numbers that do not appear in original language manuscripts.  The Greek New Testament did not have any chapter and verse numbers.  Also, verse numbering does not correspond with sentence boundaries.  For example, Ephesians 1:3-14 is one longish Greek sentence.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27673
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 9:47 AM

Ryan:
I meant to say "In my library of Bibles, the only Bibles I have in NASB that don't have paragraph formatting is a pre-95 edition. I don't understand why the 95 updated in Logos would be in non-paragraph format."

It is my understanding that the "non-paragraph" format comes from the translators as a philosophical/translation issue… I do know that Zondervan has published the NASB95u in a paragraph format. My guess is that this is a licensing issue.

EDIT: I re-read through this thread and see we've spoken before… Smile I am not opposed to Logos providing this… I am just trying to answer why it was done this way. [I cannot think of a single reason Logos would have done this intentionally unless it came down from the publisher / translators.]

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 9:52 AM

If it is a licensing issue, then it is my wish that they acquire the license so people can purchase the paragraph format, if it is not a licensing issue, then they should quickly and easily create a paragraph formatted version.

Posts 27673
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 10:19 AM

Ryan:
if it is not a licensing issue, then they should quickly and easily create a paragraph formatted version.

It would not be quick nor easy. 

This is an important issue to you. Send Bob an email.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 8:00 AM

Ryan:
Is there any way to get my NASB95 to be paragraph formatted?

Logos 7 work around is using Discourse features (Greek) to show segment structure (blue words in left margin) plus can show words moved for emphasis (word spelling reflects grammatical usage). Background information is grey.

Discourse Datasets and Visual Filters were included in 6.12 release for Logos Now.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26467
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 1:48 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Logos 7 work around

There is no need for a work around. The NASB95 uses bold verse numbers to indicate paragraphs.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 2:17 PM

Ryan:

I just want my NASB Bible in Logos to have Paragraph spacing. I know it's there in Logos represented by the Bold Numbers... and it would be simple for Logos to programmatically build a new NASB with paragraphs, but between all the previous replies, no one has given any indication of movement on this at all.

There's a reason virtually NONE of the new Bibles being manufactured are verse by verse..

Visual filter that hides chapter and verse number leaves each verse starting on a new line. Awesome would be combination of NASB 95 verses into paragraphs when chapter and verse numbers are not being displayed.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 109
Gavin Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 26 2017 1:40 PM

Hey Ryan, 

Good news! Per Logos: "We updated NASB95 so that it has paragraph formatting. We're planning on pushing the update out on Tuesday (5/30).

For those who preferred the one verse/one line formatting we'll still have a visual filter that allows you to switch to one verse/one line formatting." 

Posts 2
Brett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 22 2017 2:44 PM

Great to see the Logos response to users.  

Ryan, did this update happen? I don’t see it on my iPad.

Posts 3185
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 22 2017 4:37 PM

Its on my ipad- been available for a while

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS