verse export to Word

Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 72 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:43 AM

Bob Pritchett:
And the multiple verses support? You want to be able to type "John 3:16; Eph 2:8-9" and have all three verses copied at once?

That would be nice so some things, but what I really want is verse list support (and I know that it's planned) with the ability to export (or print) the verse list in a defined CBV style.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 40
Timothy Lovegrove | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:47 AM

Bob Pritchett:
You want to be able to type "John 3:16; Eph 2:8-9" and have all three verses copied at once?

I guess that would be nice, but what I really need is to be able to copy the text of all of the verses in a list of results from a "Bible" search like this:

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:58 AM

Bob Pritchett:
Then you could, say, Ctrl+Alt+C and then type a reference?

I like the system tray, but I would prefer the shortcut IMHO.

Bob Pritchett:
And the multiple verses support? You want to be able to type "John 3:16; Eph 2:8-9" and have all three verses copied at once?

Its a must. I use this all the time when preparing call to worships.

Bob Pritchett:
SmartTags got "forgotten" because Microsoft seemed to move away from them. We haven't looked at the implementation in...um... forever. Are you using them in older versions of Word, or are they still working well in the latest, etc.?

Works like a charm in Office 2007. I introduced it about 2 months ago to a friend who has been using Logos 2 lightly for 1.5 years. He fell in love with them and uses them all the time in his sermon prep. I use them alot also.

As far as not looking at the implementation in...um...forever isn't that a good thing. You had a product that was making lots of people happy without you knowing it and you had to devote very little resources for it in a long time. Sounds like a good investment to me :-) Every time I introduced someone new to them it was like they had found a treasure!

Posts 18
David Wallace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:08 AM

I'd also prefer the universal shortcut to an icon.

As far as Smarttags are concerned, I love them. They work great in 2007 although I have no way to test them in the upcoming 2010 version. If possible, I'd love to get these back.

Posts 43
Abraham M. Payton Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:12 AM

Add me to the list. I have grown to depend on their use. I always thought L4 would get there and did not press the issue because I have missed so many of the previous posts.

Posts 8
Allen Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:33 AM

I think the most helpful update re: copy to a document would be to offer three options

1. task bar as in logos 3

2. smart tags

3. Cntl alt function to input multiple verses.

Then make all three options selectable in the system preferences

Posts 21
Quipper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:42 AM

<We'll look into bringing it back.>

WONDERFUL! Yes Just hearing you say that makes my entire week.

I use that little Bible icon every single day, often dozens of times--it saves me a lot of hassle. (The dictionary icon, though, I use hardly ever.)

As for a system-wide shortcut key; it might be handy too, but not at the expense of my favorite black-book icon!

Thank you for listening to us, Bob.

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:55 AM

My thinking on copy and past is a little different.

Currently copy and past is either nonexistent - or where it is implemented it's behavior varies from tool to tool.

The type of copy and past behavior I like the best is how it is done in the information tool.

In the picture above I am able to ctrl + click as many articles or verses as I want and then copy them in one click.

The only thing I would add to this is a copy and paste button on the right like there is in the "copy bible verse tool" (see below)

It would be essential (I think) for this Idea to work for the "copy bible verse tool" (pictured above) to have the settings set by a drop down menu from the copy and paste icon.

So now all of your tools would have the same copy and paste behavior.  For example if you did a lemma search for the word δίδωμι you would get the following:

You could now ctrl + select as many verses (or all the verses) click on "copy and paste" (with it set to go directly to your word processor of choice)  and you are done.

Better yet, you do not have to have the copy bible verse tool open at all to copy and paste directly into Word, OpenOffice, etc.

So to sum up:

1.  Have consistent copy and paste behavior in all tools.

2.  Have "copy" and "copy and paste" and for some tools "select all" icons integrated into the tools.

3.  Have the "copy and paste" icon have a drop down menu so you can select the formating and where it is to be pasted to in all tools.

4.  The selecting of verses in search results would be treated like they are in the current information tool (see markup above)

5.  When setting up formating for the "copy and past" behavior there should be a setting to retain the highlighting.  This would make life a lot easier.

Posts 260
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:47 AM

I use mutiiple verse support all the time and it works wonderfully in Windows 7 using Word 2007. It saves a lot of time. I have probably copied over ten verses at the same time into Word. A wonderful tool. Thanks for listeninging to us and being willing to tweak L4.

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:02 PM

I would like to see something like InstaVerse.  Where I am in word I type my verse selection and then press a hot key and it replaces my selection with my selected verse style and version. Please consider this approach.

Posts 665
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:15 PM

Very similar to the Smart Tags we are calling for... BTW Bob, I know Smart Tags work perfectly in Office 2003 and 2007... Please oh please bring them back or something like JF refers to which would be a shortcut Smart Tags that would allow whatever CBV you have selected to automatically replace your scripture reference in MS Word... This is essential to many Logos Users and I'm sure the more that knew about it and tried it would jump on our bandwagon!!!

JF:

I would like to see something like InstaVerse.  Where I am in word I type my verse selection and then press a hot key and it replaces my selection with my selected verse style and version. Please consider this approach.

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:25 PM

Robert Pavich:

something that may ease your pain is to put a short cut on the short cut tool bar so now it's at least only one click...

open a copy bible verses window...hold the tab and drag to the short cut tool bar.

I endorse this tip. I suspect many haven't figured out yet that they can put some of these features right on the toolbar. Only problem on resources such as books is that a tiny little cover is the icon--cool, but they all tend to look alike. Mouse-over text, however, makes it work. 

I have Copy Bible Verse on my toolbar, as well as a favorite Layout. 

Posts 665
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:04 PM

Rob Suggs:

Robert Pavich:

something that may ease your pain is to put a short cut on the short cut tool bar so now it's at least only one click...

open a copy bible verses window...hold the tab and drag to the short cut tool bar.

I endorse this tip. I suspect many haven't figured out yet that they can put some of these features right on the toolbar. Only problem on resources such as books is that a tiny little cover is the icon--cool, but they all tend to look alike. Mouse-over text, however, makes it work. 

I have Copy Bible Verse on my toolbar, as well as a favorite Layout. 

This is fine for working inside of Logos. However for typing up sermons, lessons, papers, etc... It is a waste of time and a HUGE step backward from what Smart Tags allowed from right inside MS Word. The evolution of software should make things easier and more efficient not add steps and difficulty.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:07 PM

Frank Sauer:
It is a waste of time and a HUGE step backward from what Smart Tags allowed from right inside MS Word. The evolution of software should make things easier and more efficient not add steps and difficulty.

I would agree that leaving the CBV as the only copy option available to us would be a step backwords. Probably not quite as big of a step as Frank since smart tags still had to open up V3 once you selected one, but still a step backwards. Now if there is a way to make it happen without opening L4...that would be a huge step forward!

Posts 665
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:15 PM

Yeah I always had L3 open when I was doing it anyway, so that was not a deal for me, but I agree Philip - IF it could be done without using the L4 engine to feed it, that would be an incredible feat and step forward! I'll be very pleased if I could get the old Smart Tags back working with L4 in the same manner in the interim though :)

Philip Spitzer:

Frank Sauer:
It is a waste of time and a HUGE step backward from what Smart Tags allowed from right inside MS Word. The evolution of software should make things easier and more efficient not add steps and difficulty.

I would agree that leaving the CBV as the only copy option available to us would be a step backwords. Probably not quite as big of a step as Frank since smart tags still had to open up V3 once you selected one, but still a step backwards. Now if there is a way to make it happen without opening L4...that would be a huge step forward!

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:37 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Are you using them in older versions of Word, or are they still working well in the latest, etc.?

The Logos Smart tag works in the latest edition of MS Word (2007). I use it every week and would miss it a great deal (still have Version 3 so am OK now). It's just faster and more convenient than CBV.

Bob Pritchett:
We'll look into bringing it back. (Or would a user-choosable, system-wide shortcut key be even better? Then you could, say, Ctrl+Alt+C and then type a reference?

I would miss the copy Bible verses tray icon but could work around it.

Bob Pritchett:

Definitely. Esp. if a Smart tag was not available. But I use the Verse List of Version 2 (never liked the one in version 3 and could still somehow call up the old one) esp. when doing a topical study, so would appreciate the functionality.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:52 PM

I guess I don't know what I am missing.  I never used smart tags and really don't know what they are.  I also didn't like the little books cluttering up my tray, but I didn't really know how to use them either.  Can't imagine I missed out on a tool so many find indispensable. 

As a non-techie, the thing that grabbed me in all this discussion is having uniform copy/paste ability.  It frustrated me a lot in L3 when I would have a group of verses and not be able to manipulate or print them.  I am not sure where that was: Englishman's?  Verse List?  Concordance?  I would always forget which one I had a problem with and only discover it when I went to copy/paste.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3674
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:57 AM

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for listening...

Bob Pritchett:
But clearly many of you used this a lot. We'll look into bringing it back. (Or would a user-choosable, system-wide shortcut key be even better? Then you could, say, Ctrl+Alt+C and then type a reference?

Either icon or system-wide shortcut would work for me, with a mild preference for shortcut. At that point in my weekly work, both Word & Logos are open, but I'm working from Word. Most often, it's to add the complete text of a reference, after I've entered the reference.

Bob Pritchett:

Yes. It's easier/faster to drag part of it to another location than to go back thru the steps to copy it over. Much more often, however, I'm copying something like John3:16, 18 than I am John 3:16, Eph 2:8-9. But logically, it's the same problem.

Bob Pritchett:
SmartTags got "forgotten" because Microsoft seemed to move away from them. We haven't looked at the implementation in...um... forever. Are you using them in older versions of Word, or are they still working well in the latest, etc.?

They work fine in Office 2007, everywhere they worked in earlier versions (Word & Power Point).

Thanks again for listening!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:17 AM

Bob Pritchett:
Microsoft's been trying to keep apps from cluttering the system tray area with lots of tiny icons. (Windows 7 tries to hide as many as possible.) We thought we were doing the right thing by getting ours out of there. But clearly many of you used this a lot. We'll look into bringing it back. (Or would a user-choosable, system-wide shortcut key be even better? Then you could, say, Ctrl+Alt+C and then type a reference?
I could live with a universal key like the one suggested, or even a taskbar box like google desktop search creates. (oooh, embed the commandbar on my taksbar.....)
Bob Pritchett:
Youbetcha!

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:20 AM

Thomas Black:
(oooh, embed the commandbar on my taksbar.....)

Bob...Make this happen and you will be my hero. have a Copy utility accessible through the Windows 7 Jumplist!

Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS