Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 1:04 PM

Well then I'm glad to provide a little distraction.  Wink

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 11:02 AM

Since this seems to be the place with the most discussion on handouts Smile... Has anyone found a way to generate a handout with Greek, Hebrew, or any other non-English Biblical text WITHOUT having a Bible in that language selected as your primary Bible?

While this would not normally be seen to be a problem or issue, there is a case where handouts are created automatically when you open an entry in your reading plan. If the plan was generated off the BHS, for example, the text in the handout is from your primary bible and not the BHS. As another aside, if you open a reading plan for the Peshitta (or another Syriac Bible) and you do not have the Peshitta (or another Syriac Bible) as your primary Bible you will not get Syriac words listed under important words.

After thinking about the last issue, perhaps this whole question is rather a bug in how the reading plan generates reports.

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:48 PM

James W Bennett:
Since this seems to be the place with the most discussion on handouts Smile... Has anyone found a way to generate a handout with Greek, Hebrew, or any other non-English Biblical text WITHOUT having a Bible in that language selected as your primary Bible?
Sorry James, no.  To my knowledge there is no way to do this at the moment.  Pity.

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 724
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:51 PM

Thomas Black:

James W Bennett:
Sorry James, no.  To my knowledge there is no way to do this at the moment.  Pity.

Great restraint Thomas!

Chris

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 7:52 AM

I like and see where the handouts tool is going. I teach children's church and used a logos handout yesterday for my class. The kids loved the added information and thought the word puzzle was "real cool!". I can agree that there are better formatting/ publishing tools out there... and that may be the crux of the situation. If there were a real easy way to copy/ paste the information that the handout report generates (text and graphics), then we could use the tools that we are already familar with. http://www.serif.com/pageplus/

Posts 48
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 12:44 PM

Does anyone know how to add your own content that actually goes the whole way across the page? I just want to put a handout together with blanks that people can fill in and it keeps trying to put it into a two column format no matter what I do.

P.S. I am glad I am not the only one struggling with these handouts.

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:21 PM

GeoffreyWSmith:
Does anyone know how to add your own content that actually goes the whole way across the page? I just want to put a handout together with blanks that people can fill in and it keeps trying to put it into a two column format no matter what I do.

Sorry Geoffrey, This isn't currently possible.  What I've done however is to craft questions on one side, and then to craft blank lines on the other.  It wasn't visually appealing so I finally went back to creating a question and leaving room underneath.  Still two columns but it is what is possible right now.

Check the Wiki

Posts 48
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I hope that is something that they will try to fix. I was so excited when I saw the handout feature in the demo, for me it was a selling point to upgrade but ever since I have been terribly disappointed with the handout. It just does not work right. If they fix these problems I think it has great potential but until then, not so much. Apart from that I am learning to like L4 and am glad I upgraded.

Posts 1
John Hallowell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 11:55 AM

I like the simplicity and the idea behind the Handout tool. It's definitely "workable." I cannot get my Canon md830 printer to print the booklet form so that page 2 appears after page one after folding.

I made the mistake of calling tech support yesterday and was told the problem is in the printer configuration (which it probably is) and that i shouldn't be calling for something like that.

So here it is, I can't use the simple tool as it's intended because page two prints upside down on the page (duplex style) and all other configurations of the printer (including Booklet)  shrink the text or flip it in other ways. The solution is somewhere in configuring the printer but all permutations of the available options do not correct the problem.

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 2:45 PM

JohnHallowell:
I cannot get my Canon md830 printer to print the booklet form so that page 2 appears after page one after folding.

It's not your printer config, it's the handouts.  There is a duplex printing bug I reported somewhere but which IS I believe fixed as of beta3 and now Beta4.

Check the Wiki

Posts 1149
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 7:29 AM

I tried to use it for an upcoming youth lesson. Logos 4 crashed three times while going through the editing process to get relevant material into the handout. I finally just gave up and used word.

It seems to be an issue with the constant need of the application to update the view of what is in the handout and what can be browsed toward the left in the editing window. By the third or fourth time that I would add content to the browsing area it would crash while trying to refresh the handout or update the view of the new content.

I guessed that it could be a memory issue so I tried it again but this time I delete non-relevant content from the browser area as much as possible but it eventually crashed just the same.

Here is the log file if anyone is interested. (I have already posted this in another section of the forum but thought more of it.)

1524.Logos4_0210_2010.log

Posts 81
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 11:36 AM

Is there a way to figure out what resources a handout is pulling from?  I was just playing with it and it spit out a neat diagram of the NT Jerusalem and I'm not sure where it got that from, but I would like to know to see what else is in that resource!

EDIT: It came form John 18:1-11 if that helps anybody even just narrow it down for me, but I would like to know if we can get sources in handouts or not.

Posts 1
Christian Bardtke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 1:44 PM

Hey there!

Just bought L4 few days ago... I thinks its great but got a problem:

I cannot find a way to send my handouts to a friend via email, as I cannot find my handout file in my folders. Any ideas?

be blessed

Posts 24246
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 1:46 PM

I would "print" the handouts as a PDF to attach to emails. The shared files option is not yet available in L4

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 36
William Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 23 2010 4:28 PM

Greetings,

I see you have worked with the handout and the puzzle generator.  How do you add a bigger puzzle then the one created?

William

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Posts 24246
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:32 PM

William Middleton:
How do you add a bigger puzzle then the one created?

I'm not sure - even playing with it a bit it isn't obvious.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8591
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 25 2010 3:39 PM

William Middleton:
I see you have worked with the handout and the puzzle generator.  How do you add a bigger puzzle then the one created

Sadly, you don't.  Originally the idea was that the handout puzzles would use the settings previously used on the puzzle generator alone.    The good news however, is that handouts are slated to undergo something of a rewrite.  Smile

Check the Wiki

Posts 27
Todd Zuidema | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2010 12:28 PM

I hope that it does go through a re-write.  The handout feature is so hamstrung it is useless.  It frustrates that it is even offered.  

Handouts are more effective when you drag and drop what you want, in the format that you want, whether it is MS Word or whatever WP software you might have.

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS