One of my few frustrations with Logos 4 is inadvertently closing windows…

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:27 AM

Is there a keyboard shortcut to open the last closed window? If not, this would be a good feature to add.  Multiple closed windows even.

I'd like to see Logos move the resource scroll arrow on the right side away from the close box so windows don't get closed accidentally.

Some more nice features would be…

Option to specify where a resource/window opens,  EITHER to the left OR the right side of a pane.  Perhaps even before OR after the open resource.  I'd personally like my new windows to open to the left side, ideally after 'pinned' items.  More ideally BETWEEN items 'pinned' items to either side of the pane.  A cool feature to my mind would be to have scroll arrows centered on the window pan with 'pinned' items visible left and right.  IOW, ONLY 'unpinned items' would scroll.

Resource title/information hover-over always available somewhere, even when resource tab is not visible.

It would also be nice to have a shortcut to open the History pane and recently closed windows listed in the History view.

These items are presumably of greater importance to people who work on small screen systems (I use either a 15" monitor, or 10" netbook).

I think I should have applied for Logos GUI position.  I was thinking about it.

Posts 22851
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:59 AM

Hi Michael

Michael Anda:
Is there a keyboard shortcut to open the last closed window? If not, this would be a good feature to add.  Multiple closed windows even.

I don't believe there is such a shortcut. From what you say in your post you are aware that you can get to these from the history panel.

Michael Anda:
I'd like to see Logos move the resource scroll arrow on the right side away from the close box so windows don't get closed accidentally.

For clarity, do you mean the two areas outlined in red in the screenshot below?

Michael Anda:
Option to specify where a resource/window opens

Lots of people have requested something like this, not sure if it is on Uservoice, may be worth checking and adding if not.

Michael Anda:
Resource title/information hover-over always available somewhere, even when resource tab is not visible.

Can you expand on what you mean by this? I am struggling to visualise it.

Michael Anda:
It would also be nice to have a shortcut to open the History pane and recently closed windows listed in the History view.

You can drag the History command to the shortcut bar which should give you some of what you need. See http://wiki.logos.com/Shortcuts_bar#Creating_a_Shortcut_to_Logos4_Tools for details.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:44 AM

Michael Anda:

Option to specify where a resource/window opens,  

What I do, I just click and drag. you get great feedback of where it will go as you drag it around.  IMHO this is much more intuitive than trying to do something textually that describes where the resource will go; imagine if you have 5 or 6 tabs or more, of different sizes, open on the screen.

For the 5 or 6 ways you suggested you would like it to behave, every user will have their own 5 or 6 preferred ways to open windows. Why not get in the habit of ALWAYS doing a click and drag? Once you get in the habit I think many people will prefer it!

Michael Anda:

What I do, is I have my history in Favorites, so when I want it fast I just hit Ctrl-3 (I have it on #3 in Favorites). Then it's just one quick click to bring something up that recently closed. That's pretty fast IMHO.

Posts 527
Ebbe Andréasson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 4:13 AM

Graham Criddle:

For clarity, do you mean the two areas outlined in red in the screenshot below?

I think he mean this one:

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 6:28 AM

Dominick Sela:

What I do, I just click and drag. you get great feedback of where it will go as you drag it around.  IMHO this is much more intuitive than trying to do something textually that describes where the resource will go; imagine if you have 5 or 6 tabs or more, of different sizes, open on the screen.

For the 5 or 6 ways you suggested you would like it to behave, every user will have their own 5 or 6 preferred ways to open windows. Why not get in the habit of ALWAYS doing a click and drag? Once you get in the habit I think many people will prefer it!

Amen. I almost always drag to open.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:16 AM

Yes, Ebbe, that is the one I mean.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:20 AM

If I wasn't clear, I'd like to see Logos 4 put an entry at the top of the History window each and every time a resource is closed.  That way a person can recover from inadvertent window closes pretty easily.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 10:30 AM

Michael Anda:
If I wasn't clear, I'd like to see Logos 4 put an entry at the top of the History window each and every time a resource is closed.  That way a person can recover from inadvertent window closes pretty easily.

That makes a lot of sense.

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 10:57 AM

I've had a problem with inadvertantly closing an entire window since I began using my tablet a lot--all it takes is to grab it by that "X" corner and--poof--a window closes.  Unfortunately, being left handed I seem to pick the tablet up by that corner a lot.  Hopefully Win8 fixes GUI issues like this for touch devices.

Posts 38
Douglas Stolberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 11:25 AM

Graham Criddle:

Michael Anda:

I have the same idea, see my example for reference.

If you have too many resources open in a pane, the active resource tab may not be showing (letter B in example). If you need the resource info, you have to scroll the tabs till you find it and then hover. I think it would be a great help to have the selected resource icon (letter A in example) be able to show the resource info by hover also. 

All in good time.

EDIT: I realize that the "i" circle on the right side of the resource menu bar gives a much more in-depth list of info but sometimes I just want a quick look.

Posts 10963
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:42 PM

And 'why' would anyone wish to hover/click to see the resource info tool-tip?

Of several reasons, one might be 'knowing which resource you're in' (especially lexicons, mss's, etc):

(1) quite a number of resource icon images are a hazy black (the older, the darker)

(2) as more tabs are added, all that's left are often a crossword-puzzle of black icons

(3) on the main Logos window, there's no clue what resource you're in (no caption, and highlighted panel not easily viewable)

(4) using the Windows7 alt-tab quite often has a blank caption for Logos floating-windows, so logical elimination is removed

But I have to admit, I rarely accidentally close a tab.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:12 PM

Michael Anda:

Yes, Ebbe, that is the one I mean.

I've submitted this to development.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:19 PM

Douglas Stolberg:

If you have too many resources open in a pane, the active resource tab may not be showing (letter B in example). If you need the resource info, you have to scroll the tabs till you find it and then hover. I think it would be a great help to have the selected resource icon (letter A in example) be able to show the resource info by hover also. 

I've submitted your request for consideration.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:22 PM

Michael Anda:

Ctrl+H

Douglas Stolberg:

Graham Criddle:

Michael Anda:

I have the same idea, see my example for reference.

All in good time.

EDIT: I realize that the "i" circle on the right side of the resource menu bar gives a much more in-depth list of info but sometimes I just want a quick look.

Yes, I've had this complaint before too. I would like to see Logos add the ability to hover over the panel menu icon and have that bring up the usual popup with quick info about the current resource.

And I'd also like a menu showing me the titles of all the resources/tools that are open anywhere in my layout so that I can quickly jump to one of them without having to remember where it is and possibly scroll horizontally through a bunch of tiny icons, hovering over each one to find the one I'm looking for. If I could choose it from a menu (akin to the Window menu in Word; View > Switch Windows in later versions of Word), that would be great.

Posts 38
Douglas Stolberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 4:13 PM

Thanks Melissa, that was quick.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 6:11 PM

Thanks, Rosie.

While we're on the subject of the History pane, it would be cool to see a more robust feature set there.

I'd like to see things like Highlighting, Library, and Search removed.  At least in their current level of usefulness.  Cooler yet would be to be able to click on subsets of things, for instance, all resources where the entry for John 1:1 was requested or viewed.  Weeding out Link set entries that weren't actually viewed.

Perhaps History views by resource type.  That sort of thing.

As things sit now, a single line listing for a specific Scripture reference with a drop down menu to navigate to all the iterations. 

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 10:28 AM

Melissa Snyder:

Douglas Stolberg:

I've submitted your request for consideration.

An update on this request:  The consensus is that adding a hover tip to the panel menu could make the panel menu harder to use (and possibly cause a distracting flashing popup). A better solution would probably be to ensure that the current tab is always visible in the tab strip. There may already be a bug case for this; if not, one will be filed.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 11:02 AM

I believe the hover-over the information icon would be a great solution.  Just build a delay into the process. 1.5 - 2 seconds would do.

Two keyboard shortcuts would be nice to jump to either side of a windows resource tabs.   Ctrl-Left Arrow, Ctrl-Right Arrow would work nicely if not already defined.

Posts 25741
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 3:54 PM

Melissa Snyder:
A better solution would probably be to ensure that the current tab is always visible in the tab strip.

Agree!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 4:03 PM

Dave Hooton:

Melissa Snyder:
A better solution would probably be to ensure that the current tab is always visible in the tab strip.

Agree!

Yes

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS