Announcing a new blog for Catholic users of Logos

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 12 2011 11:18 AM

Hi there!

Well I finally got around to do it. I just started a new blog called "Catholic Logos Users". My hope is to have a place in which people can find and discuss Logos resources which are of particularl interest to a Catholic audience. The blog is currently in its infancy and my hope is to add at least one post a week. Stop by and let me know what you think!

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 28953
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 3:17 PM

Thank you.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 291
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 3:17 PM

I look forward to visiting often.

Posts 99
john joyce | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 10:19 PM

Hi Harbey

This is the best thing I have read on the forums in a long time.

I hope Logos hire you as a consultant. They have someone listed as in charge of Catholic Resources, I don't know what they have been doing the last few years!

Promising start and it will only be good if we can band together. It may help if we as a large (I hope) group help Logos improve our resources.

John

Posts 28953
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 10:59 PM

john joyce:
It may help if we as a large (I hope) group help Logos improve our resources.

As one who has been pushing Logos in this direction for years, I'd like to point out that Logos has made some very strong moves in the direction of liturgical churches and broader canons.

• Logos 4 with its verse mapping is the first version that actually treats the Anglican, Lutheran, Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Slavic Orthodox ... canons as scripture
  • Lectionaries have been improved to handle the sanctoral cycle and allow access of the readings for liturgical days not occurring in current annual calendar
  • While the resources currently available is far from everything I want it is getting to be as much as I can afford ... which I think means Catholic resources are now part of their standard strategy rather than an afterthought
  • In terms of Logos products and financial welfare, I think that rather than thinking "Catholic" we need to work together as Catholic-Anglican-Lutheran-Orthodox and to an extent Jewish group. There are many resources that easily spread across many of us that are of less interest to the Evangelical-Pentecostal group [Note there are many other nodes along the continuum]. And as liturgical churches with a strong sense of history we have much in common. We can take advantage of the Lutheran-Logos connections as a point from which to expand.
  • Patristics is becoming an area around which many Logos users groups can rally. Take advantage of it.

While were are at it, can I get everyone to purchase (and push) The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church (7 Vols.)

It really is of Catholic interest (and Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist ...)Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 99
john joyce | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:11 AM

Sure it's slowly getting a little better. Without wishing to offend anyone it's kind of depressing having relatively little of essential material in the base packages.

My 3 main gripes

1. Catechism

2. Decent commentary

3. NJB only available to North Americans. 

Posts 22732
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:19 AM

Hi John

john joyce:
1. Catechism

Trying to understand more of what you are looking for here.

I note that the "Catholic Theology and Dogma Collection" (http://www.logos.com/product/5177/catholic-theology-and-dogma-collection) contains the Catechism of the Council of Trent. (I appreciate this is an expensive way of getting just one volume).

Are there a set of Catechisms you are looking for or is there a specific one / set which are most required?

Thanks, Graham

Posts 28953
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:22 AM

Graham Criddle:
Are there a set of Catechisms you are looking for or is there a specific one / set which are most required?

What a number of people have requested is the current Catechism - Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Catechism of the Council of Trent is of historical interest but it's two Catechisms back..

To focus on the negatives:

• several translations which have editions including the deuterocanonical books appear only with the North American Protestant canon
  • not all translations used in English-language lectionaries are available in Logos (so watch where you live)
  • most of the commentaries and ministerial material in the base packages is of little interest or use
  • tools like Persons/Places/Things cover only the short canon
  • the LCV has yet to add the common Catholic, Orthodox and Jewish terms

Posts 99
john joyce | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:40 AM

sorry - yes I meant CCC

Posts 22732
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:46 AM

Thanks MJ and John

Very helpful

Graham

Posts 10645
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 1:48 AM

Harbey,

thanks a lot for your blog. Even though I'm not a Roman Catholic (but we all are small c catholics, aren't we?), I like it to have resources from many areas of christianity in Logos and also in my Logos library.

I just wanted to write a first comment on your nice blog entry from Saturday regarding the Pope Benedict collection, but somehow I don't have any of the "profiles" your bloig requires for commenting. Thus, since it is about a Logos resource where I am in the prebub contract, I think it may be a good idea to ask you here: could you clarify the sentence that you are sad for "not included introduction to christianity" in light of the "* introduction to christianity [Rev Ed]" in the package content list? Are these two editions very different in Ignatius books? I understand the German revised version of "Einführung in das Christentum" which I have in paper to be a commentary on the Credo from the late 1960's, the so-called revision just being an additional foreword from 2000.

Thank you
NewbieMick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:11 PM

I have requested/been interested in the Jerome Biblical Commentary, the new one published around 1990. I have the old one that used to be sold with Logos, but that's been outdated for quite some time, there is so much new material, new discourses etc. in the latest version.

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:22 PM

M.J., BradN and John,

Thanks for your kind words.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:39 PM

MJ. Smith:

john joyce:
It may help if we as a large (I hope) group help Logos improve our resources.

• In terms of Logos products and financial welfare, I think that rather than thinking "Catholic" we need to work together as Catholic-Anglican-Lutheran-Orthodox and to an extent Jewish group. There are many resources that easily spread across many of us that are of less interest to the Evangelical-Pentecostal group [Note there are many other nodes along the continuum]. And as liturgical churches with a strong sense of history we have much in common. We can take advantage of the Lutheran-Logos connections as a point from which to expand.

Hi M.J.,

It is amazing the things you have to take into consideration  when creating a blog. I agonized over thr name of the blog. here are some other candidates:

"Liturgical Logos User"

"Non-Protestant Logos User"

"Ecumenical Logos User"

"Logos for the non-Protestant"

At the end of the day "Catholic Logos User" was the best I could do. At the end of the day I had to make a distinction. Since my no.1 desire is for more Catholics to use Logos I went for the strong "Latin Rite" flavor. However,  I hope the Logos "catholic" (small "c") users community also benefit from these efforts. I intend to look and list not only Catholic works but other works that will be of interest for most Liturgical traditions and not just my own.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 184
LogosEmployee
Dan Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:47 PM

Talk about amazing timing... today was the first day on the job for our brand-new, full-time Catholic Product Manager Andrew Jones!

Andrew is just getting his office set up, but should be dropping by this thread soon to introduce himself directly. I had lunch with Andrew today and can tell you that you have a serious, scholarly, and passionate advocate for the Catholic market in him. I won't steal any more of his thunder, I just wanted you to know we are really getting serious about the Catholic market now!

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:49 PM

NewbieMick:

Harbey,

thanks a lot for your blog. Even though I'm not a Roman Catholic (but we all are small c catholics, aren't we?), I like it to have resources from many areas of christianity in Logos and also in my Logos library.

I just wanted to write a first comment on your nice blog entry from Saturday regarding the Pope Benedict collection, but somehow I don't have any of the "profiles" your bloig requires for commenting. Thus, since it is about a Logos resource where I am in the prebub contract, I think it may be a good idea to ask you here: could you clarify the sentence that you are sad for "not included introduction to christianity" in light of the "* introduction to christianity [Rev Ed]" in the package content list? Are these two editions very different in Ignatius books? I understand the German revised version of "Einführung in das Christentum" which I have in paper to be a commentary on the Credo from the late 1960's, the so-called revision just being an additional foreword from 2000.

Thank you
NewbieMick

Hi Mick,

Yes, you need a gmail account to comment in the blog. Not my idea but Google's. I'll check to see if there is a way to provide comments without these restrictions. Also... Thanks for catching my mistake. I meant to say "The Apostles", how did I ended with Intro to Xtianity is beyond me. I updated the post.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:53 PM

Dan Pritchett:

Talk about amazing timing... today was the first day on the job for our brand-new, full-time Catholic Product Manager Andrew Jones!

Andrew is just getting his office set up, but should be dropping by this thread soon to introduce himself directly. I had lunch with Andrew today and can tell you that you have a serious, scholarly, and passionate advocate for the Catholic market in him. I won't steal any more of his thunder, I just wanted you to know we are really getting serious about the Catholic market now!

Hi Dan,

Yes... the Holy Spirit is funny that way.Big Smile One day after Pentecost!! I look forward to meet Andrew in the forums and to work with Him and anyone else interested in helping in this project.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:56 PM

Dominick Sela:

I have requested/been interested in the Jerome Biblical Commentary, the new one published around 1990. I have the old one that used to be sold with Logos, but that's been outdated for quite some time, there is so much new material, new discourses etc. in the latest version.

Same here! I periodically search for the old version for Logos. You never know when an old copy is found in the back room of a used book store!

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 6:19 PM

Harbey Santiago:

Dominick Sela:

Same here! I periodically search for the old version for Logos. You never know when an old copy is found in the back room of a used book store!

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

I was blessed to have a user sell it to me on the old Newsgroup forums. Maybe if you advertise your interest someone will respond.

I have the new one in Hard Copy, IMHO it is much more comprehensive and the scholarship is better as well.  You are a Deacon in Baltimore, the new JBC is recommended commentary at St. Mary's Seminary and with good reason IMHO!.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 6:19 PM

Dan Pritchett:

This is excellent news, thanks Dan!

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS