Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:59 PM

Gentlemen?

Can anyone help me figure out how to configure PRA's for Logos4 or let me know if it is still available? Following an MP seminar PRA's quickly became one of my favorite features in Logos as scrolling through grouped commentaries or Bible dictionaries saved a ton of time and provided a wealth of information quickly. Do PRA's still exist? If not, is there some other way in which this is accomplished or is it at least being developed for 4? Thanks in advance for the insight.

Josh

Posts 505
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:09 PM

What are PRAs?  Sorry for my ignorance.

Posts 5102
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:15 PM

Josh Wilson:
Can anyone help me figure out how to configure PRA's for Logos4 or let me know if it is still available?

What's a PRA?

Of course you can PRAY even without Logos, and whatever a PRA is, I'm sure a PRAYER is better.

Let me guess, that you're talking about Resource Associations. These are no longer supported in L4. But you can get close by prioritizing resources, and by creating collections. They don't have the ability to scroll through in a circular way (I miss that), but it's as close as we can get for now.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:18 PM

Parallel Resource Associations. It was a semi-advanced user feature, but was uber helpful. You grouped certain "PRA" that were organized in similar fashion (e.g. vss or topics), then you could simply use the arrow key to move from BKC to NAC to NIGTC on John 1:1 or you could flip through all your Bible Dictionaries to see what they said about "Abraham" etc.

Posts 2373
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:19 PM

I think he means parallell resource association, if so Logos handles that internally now and does a great job.

Alt + arrow now I believe

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:20 PM

Bummer.. :-( Yeah, I figured the other stuff out already, but I am missing the "circular" feature of 3.0. Here's hoping Logos brings in back.

Posts 5102
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:25 PM

Josh Wilson:
Parallel Resource Associations

Okay. Just couldn't remember what the "P" was for. Now I remember. I used them too.

Once again, the closest we can get in L4 is with Prioritizing resources. But when you do it, group similar things together. I put all my preferred English Bibles first, then my preferred Spanish Bibles, then my preferred original language Bibles, then my 'heavy-hitter' commentaries, then some Study-bibles, then a couple of Dictionaries (I should probably add some Bible dictionaries & encyclopedias in there too.

Logos4 will scroll like with like, but uses it's own order, unless you change it by prioritizing your preferred works. Keeping like with like, helps know what you've got and so add what you're missing later.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:30 PM

@Dominic. Ha! Thank you. Alt + arrow it is!

A couple quick follow up questions.

1. Is there a comprehensive list of shortcuts/hotkeys somewhere?

2. Is there a way to limit what resources it "circles through" or manually add/remove resources to the path as with PRAs via collections or something? Right now it is taking me to a bunch of resources I really don't want to look at. The blessings and curses of a huge Logos library :-)

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:38 PM

Yeah Josh, this function is missed

They are partially supported. You can Prioritize resources (In the Library right click on a resource or drag and drop to the Prioritize list [Prioritize list is found in the upper right part of the Library window]) and these will allow that function to partially work. Whatever resources you put in the prioritize list (ordered from top to bottom - top is first in your association) for a particular datatype then those will scroll with the right/left arrow key, but as you know they will not loop (or they are not circular). When you when you start right clicking and come to the resource that is the last one on your Prioritize list then it will begin going through remaining "like resources" in your library. The only way to get back to the beginning is to left arrow click and backtrack through the list. This is where limiting the list and looping is greatly missed. Also, the prioritize list will get filled with all kinds of different resources so you might try to order like datatypes together (drag and drop) so that you can keep track of which ones you have added.

There are a few advanced settings (in the prioritize list right click on the resource and it will give you some options) that can help control which resources scroll and which don't (a little) but there is still much limitation in the current implementation.

There is always hope that this additional function will be added back into the program. Bob (Logos) does think through and weigh things that we do not see, and he (and the programming team) does listen and is very willing to consider these options. It is a good thing to let them know how you use it, what you miss, and the value you place on that particular tool.

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:52 PM

@Trey

Thanks for the info. The prioritizing is at least a strong step in the right direction. I guess I am just going to end up prioritizing a lot more books than I had initially thought. I have noticed Logos' willingness to help. I actually put all my eggs in one basket early deciding not to purchase some other platforms as well due to this and Logos commitment to continue improving their product. I am feeling a bit vindicated with the release of L4.. thanks for the many improvements, Logos.

Bob, this is at least one user who would greatly appreciate the "looping/circular" option and any added ability to customize which resources are related to what other resources in a future update... I had a LOT of PRA's and used the feature constantly.

Posts 214
dcleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 6:22 PM

I could not find one. I prioritized my commentaries, leaving out the ones I do not use that often, and it still cycles them through. Also, in L3 you could go from your last commentary back to your first commentary when you got to the end of your list. Not in L4, you have to backtrack to get back to your first prioritized commentary.

Posts 1236
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:04 PM

PRA's were more popular than we thought, and we see the advantage in some cases. We're looking at how to bring this back in an even better -- and less confusing to people who didn't attend an MP seminar -- way.

Posts 1972
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:09 PM

Bob Pritchett:

PRA's were more popular than we thought, and we see the advantage in some cases. We're looking at how to bring this back in an even better -- and less confusing to people who didn't attend an MP seminar -- way.

Bob. Thanks for listening.

Posts 783
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 12:49 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the reassuring words of bringing back PRA in an even better way.Smile

JK

OSX 10.9.5 MB Pro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz 16GB RAM 500GB SSD | Windows 8.1 6GB RAM 96GB HDD Parallels 10.0.2 | iPadAir 32GB iOS 8.0.2

Posts 2612
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:09 AM

Josh Wilson:
@Dominic. Ha! Thank you. Alt + arrow it is!

For me it works as it was in v3, that is just an arrow. May be it is my Czech keyboard, I don't know.

Bohuslav

Posts 2612
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:12 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Thank you Bob. I am constantly amazed by your very flexible and willing attitude.

Bohuslav

Posts 16772
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:26 AM

Bob Pritchett:
PRA's were more popular than we thought, and we see the advantage in some cases.

Great, Great!!

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 8464
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:29 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Fantastic! I use PRAs extensively in L3 and complained that they were missing from the Mac 1.2. PLEASE put them into L4. Crying

Posts 449
Garrett Mercury | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:38 AM

I also used PRA's extensively and am amazed to read that they are gone.  It is true, however, that it was often confusing as to how to set things up.  Even with a Proctor manual and quickfiles it was still kind of a mixed bag.

It it comes back, yep, make it way simplier for people like me!

Posts 118
Andrew Chuter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 3:46 AM

Agree with sentiments expressed - PRA's are fundamental to the way I use Logos 3.

Andrew

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS