Get an answer to that burning question (Event Rules)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 16 2011 1:35 PM

***Forum Week event***

One of the great things about the Logos forums is that the community here desires to help one another get the most out of their Bible study with Logos Bible Software.The amount of time and effort users give one another is both staggering and motivating. Seriously, you need to see the speed and level of detail offered in these helpful answers to believe it!

That's what this "Get an answer to that burning question" event is all about. No doubt there are things you wish you could do or do more effectively with Logos. You figure it's possible given how powerful and intuitive the software is, but you just don't know how to go about it.

What do to when you have a Logos-related question

First: try searching the forums. The odds are that others have already addressed the same question.

Stephen Smith:
TIP: The best way to search the forums effectively is to use the following search syntax from Google: [search query] site:community.logos.com
(e.g., Bob uses Apple site:community.logos.com)

Second: If you come up short when searching, start a new thread to pose the question to the forum community and see what kind of help and insight you get.

On any given day, that's all there is to it.

For for this particular Forum Week event...

...please keep the following considerations in mind.

• A user should always start a new thread for each new question. Don't pose new questions amidst another thread already in progress (other than to elaborate on the question posted in the first place).
  • When starting a new thread, put "FW QUESTION:" before your thread title. (e.g., FW QUESTION: linking to a particular forum post).
  • Be as detailed as possible in explaining what it is you want to know how to do.
  • When answering a question, feel free to ask for clarification to make sure you understood it correctly.
  • When answering the question, _assume the person asking the question has the most minimal prior knowledge of Logos 4_ regardless of the person's forum post count. (Note: it would be good to consider this practice even after Forum Week is over; this will ensure a greater retrun on your time investment by making it relevant to more users inherently, and it might also help eliminate repeat-type questions from people who didn't understand the answer.)
  • When answering the question, be as detailed as possible (for the same reasons as just given above for starting at the most elemental point appropriate).
  • Questions/answers posted through the end of Forum Week (Midnight Sunday) will be considered as part of this event.
  • EDIT: Please post threads for this event directly in the Forum Week forum. If you have an idea which forum it would normally go in, please make note of that at the end to help us move them to their proper place for posterity's sake after this week is over.

Perks for participating

• You get to experience first-hand one of the major benefits of the forum community.
  • You get an answer to a particular thing you've stumped about.
  • You have a chance to win $30 credit to Logos.com. A team of Logos employees will be looking at every question thread and the answer(s) given to that question. We'll select the top five question/answer combos and award the questioner and the answerer from each combo with $30 credit.

NOTE: The point of this event is to be fun, but the nature of selecting the "top" question/answer combos is somewhat subjective. We think this event will be a worthwhile experience for everyone on its own merit, prize credit notwithstanding. No doubt there will be some differing opinions amongst the forum community members as to which questions and answers are most deserving, but the judges will make the final selections. We hope that everyone will find the event entertaining and informative regardless of the outcome.

For the sake of demonstration, I'll answer the following question: "How do I participate in 'Get an answer to that burning question'?"

Step 1: Navigate to the Logos forums by visiting the following url: http://community.logos.com/forums

Step 2: Click on the forum called "***Forum Week***"

Step 3: Click "Write a New Post"

Step 4: Type your question in the subject box, preceded by: FW QUESTION:

Step 5: In the description box, elaborate on your question, explaining what it is that you want to do

Step 6: Click the "post" button at the bottom of the screen.

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 3:29 PM

For the sake of all who follow forum threads via a reader and don't see edits easily, I just edited the above post with the following:

EDIT: Please post threads for this event directly in the Forum Week forum. If you have an idea which forum it would normally go in, please make note of that at the end to help us move them to their proper place for posterity's sake after this week is over.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 3:50 PM

I foresee some problems:

Stephen Smith:
A user should always start a new thread for each new question.

In which forum? This? (I suggest not; the answerers often need to know it the questioner is on Mac or PC. Plus this forum is hidden.)

Stephen Smith:
We'll select the top five question/answer combos

So what happens when someone asks a really unintelligible question, and someone else takes the time to try to understand it and patiently explains the answer over and over again until it's been understood? Seems to me that either you punish the answerers who take on the most difficult questioners, or you reward the questioners who care least about stating their problems clearly and cooperating well with the answerers.

I would want the rewards to go to the questioners who makes it easiest for the answerers, and the answerers who show most helpfulness and give the best and/or clearest answers. And my guess would be that those are not necessarily found in the same threads. Well formulated questions make answering seem very easy. 

Stephen Smith:
When answering the question, be as detailed as possible

Are you saying that, to have a chance, we have to waste our time pasting screen shots and explanations in the actual thread, instead of just linking to the Wiki where it's already been done? (Which, btw, would mean that questioners would have to wait far longer than necessary for an answer.)

Are you saying that we have to have fancy arrow-and-circle making software to have a chance?

Stephen Smith:
the questioner and the answerer

It won't be "the answerer"; it will usually be more than one answerer on each thread. And you can't forbid it, because lots of times they'll be posting simultaneously.

What happens when A, B and C all throw themselves on the reply button within the first minute, but A posts a Wiki link after two minutes, B posts a screen shot and a few sentences after eight, and C posts a really detailed answer after twenty-five? Is there a time factor?

What happens when X, Y and Z can only give part of the answer, and then S comes in with a brilliant solution?

What happens when G in Europe asks a question and then goes to bed; H and I in America asks some clarifying questions, provide some suggestions to try out, and then go to their beds; G wakes up, experiments some more, clarifies the question, and provides some more information; after which J, also in Europe, can solve the issue?

Your rules makes it seem very easy, but real life threads tend to be complicated. 

Personally, I'll probably just write the same way I would normally, and you can make what you want of it.

Stephen Smith:
For the sake of demonstration, I'll answer the following question:

You forgot step 1b: "Make sure you're logged in to your forum account." Otherwise they won't see the Forum Week forum. Wink

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 4:07 PM

fhg,

Thanks for engaging on every level!

In short, we thought it would be a great experience in and of itself. As a follow-up idea, I thought it'd be fun to throw in some Logos credit. Since the credit isn't really the point, I suggest that anybody who's primarily participating for the sake of the secondary aspect of this event choose to not participate. That will help alleviate any angst over the potential discrepancy between effort and desired reward.

There are a lot of factors involved in trying to give some shape to this secondary "fun factor," as you well illustrate. We will be taking all these things into consideration when deciding (for instance, since this is a question/answer combo thing, some threads that stand out might stand out because of the quality of the question and resulting ease of answering, whereas other answers may well stand out for pulling the weight of a poorly formed question, making that thread rise to the level of "outstanding" among many).

As to whether or not a question/answer combo really relies on multiple answerers, that fact will be immediately clear no doubt; and as you've already experienced this week, we're not particularly averse to recognizing multiple winners in a given event. Wink

So, in short-er: we'll do our dead-level-best to factor all your observations into applying this somewhat subjective "fun factor" to the event.

fgh:
In which forum?...this forum is hidden

It's hidden to those who aren't participating--by design--but we'll do our best to re-categorize the threads after Forum Week so the value of this event isn't lost forever.

fgh:
You forgot step 1b: "Make sure you're logged in to your forum account."

Good call...thought of that earlier but forgot when I sat down to do this. I guess if user Z were to have been crafting their answer and had posted immediately after me with an answer that included that step, he/she would have provided the better answer. Big Smile

Posts 5
Tangelia Burkett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2011 10:24 PM

Can someone please help me. my computer crash and i had to go buy a new one . How do I  download my program again? I downloaded from the website the first time,but I dont know where to start.

Posts 33860
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2011 11:04 PM

http://wiki.logos.com/Installation_and_Indexing_FAQ%27s

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2011 9:55 AM

Tangelia Burkett:

Can someone please help me. my computer crash and i had to go buy a new one . How do I  download my program again? I downloaded from the website the first time,but I dont know where to start.

Wiki Getting Started with Logos => Installation + Indexing section includes link  Installation and Indexing FAQ’s (posted by MJ) plus links to video tutorials.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:32 PM

Have the winning question/answer combos been chosen yet? I'm curious which ones you think are the best! Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS