The Working Desktop

Page 7 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:27 AM

Larry L. Dix:

I too have noticed that many Logos users are using two or monitors. I think I would like to try that option. How do you set one up with multiple monitors and another one posted that they thought that the "alt tab" was sufficient. Could you explain what the "alt tab" function will enable the user to do.

Thanks in advance

Alt + tab allows Windows users to toggle between open windows, you can use it to also go between Logos and other programs.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:29 AM

Larry - 

Are you asking how to use multiple monitors on your computer? Are you running windows or pc? What version? Do you already have two monitors? Do you have a second video out port available on your computer?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:40 AM

Yes, I would like to know  how to run additional monitors on my pc. Yes I have additional monitors available. I am running windows 7. While I am not as savvy on all the bells and whistles that computers have, so I could possibly be mistaken on what I am about to say, I do have one video output port on my computer.

Thanks for the alt + tab explanation.

Thanks in advance

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:46 AM

Perhaps I should be more specific, I am looking for information on how to run multiple monitors on one pc. One my frustrations is having to go back and forth between frames. Maybe have the exegetical guide on one and the passage guide on the other and One Note on a third. Instead of having everything compacted on to one screen.  This may seem trivial but it is one my quirks about how I do things.

Thanks in advance

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:14 PM

Larry L. Dix:

Perhaps I should be more specific, I am looking for information on how to run multiple monitors on one pc. One my frustrations is having to go back and forth between frames. Maybe have the exegetical guide on one and the passage guide on the other and One Note on a third. Instead of having everything compacted on to one screen.  This may seem trivial but it is one my quirks about how I do things.

Thanks in advance

Multiple monitor functionality requires a video card with multi-monitor support.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:24 PM

Larry - 

The previous poster Ryan is correct. You must have a video card which supports this feature. I will have to let the PC brothers & sisters take a stab at helping you since I only use Macs. For what its worth - have you just tried hooking up a second monitor and restarting the computer?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 12:41 PM

alabama24:

Larry - 

The previous poster Ryan is correct. You must have a video card which supports this feature. I will have to let the PC brothers & sisters take a stab at helping you since I only use Macs. For what its worth - have you just tried hooking up a second monitor and restarting the computer?

I seem to recall having hooked up my laptop to an old monitor I have and being able to use it that way.  I haven't tried it with my new computer since I'd rather have one monitor and use <alt-tab> to switch between different displays (you can float a window) rather than get whiplash switching my view from one monitor to the other.  Besides, desk space is at a premium.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:02 PM

Haven't tried anything yet. Just wanted to get information before I attempted it.

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:04 PM

Ryan,

Thanks for the information. Know I need to find out if my computer has that capability. I assume that it is listed somewhere in the control panel?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:10 PM

Larry,

With the mention of Control Panel I assume you've got a PC running Windows?

On your desktop you should be able to right click and go to something akin to an appearance settings.  Then from there one of the tabs (do they even have tabs/options anymore? Stick out tongue) should have what video card you are running.  We can look it up from there if you have the compatability.

Posts 3
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:11 PM

Larry L. Dix:

Ryan,

Thanks for the information. Know I need to find out if my computer has that capability. I assume that it is listed somewhere in the control panel?

Larry,

If you look on the back of your computer tower and there is an empty plug that matches the cable from your second monitor, your computer likely has that capability. Plug it in, reboot your computer, and see what happens! :)

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:23 PM

If anyone running a Mac is reading this with the same questions, I posted a review on BestBuy's website explaining how to sift through Apple's vague and confusing product line to get the right parts to run two monitors.

http://bit.ly/dvtNky

(mine is the first one)

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:31 PM

Paul Newsome:

If anyone running a Mac is reading this with the same questions, I posted a review on BestBuy's website explaining how to sift through Apple's vague and confusing product line to get the right parts to run two monitors.

http://bit.ly/dvtNky

Boy, am I glad you don't have to go through this rigamarole to run 2 monitors with a PC.

So with a PC, it is going to use a Video Card with 2 or more Video Ports. Within your computer is a board, it is called the Motherboard. On it is usually a special card slot, most new computers have PCI-Express or PCIe. You will need to know if your computer has a  populated or unpopulated PCIe slot. Older motherboards may have an AGP slot, but if your computer is fairly new, it should be PCIe.

If the card in there only has 1 video port, you can purchase a new card with multi-monitor support, and swap the old one with the new one. If on the back of your computer, you have a video card that has 1 VGA and 1 DVI, most likely you are already able to connect multiple monitors.

Find out what motherboard you have using diagnostic tools that are freely available, or open up your case and physically look at it. You can find many pictures of what the slot looks like that will help you determine what slot you have, what is available, and what your options are.

It will typically be one of the following (Has pictures...)-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Also, if two is not enough... I think last year manufacturers just released a video card with support for 6 monitors.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 3:43 PM

oops!   I forgot to fire up Logos before I snapped the photo of my workspace ;-)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 3:44 PM

Definitely looks like it is running iOS...

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 3:55 PM

ha, thats just crazy!

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 4:02 PM

Posts 10550
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:21 PM

Paul Newsome:
I posted a review on BestBuy's website explaining how to sift through Apple's vague and confusing product line to get the right parts to run two monitors

Strange.I simply plugged my two displays into the Mac Pro—same procedure for the two Macs before this one. I do not understand the problem.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:47 PM

Jack,

With an iMac the video has to come in through what is now a video display port (proprietary) which used to be a different port 2 years ago.  Then you have to find the correct output to plug into the monitor, which Apple makes 4 different types accommodating 5 outputs.  Then they conveniently label everything with the same name.  When I first dealt with it all it didn't seem like anyone thought about the packaging.  With 21 of 21 recommends you can see others have been frustrated by the same issue. Wink

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:57 PM

Steve Johnson:

Uh, what's a Sabbatical?

When you take time off from work to post to the forums. Big Smile

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Page 7 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS