Forum Guidelines: No Theology Debates

Page 2 of 19 (367 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 366 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 334
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 4:10 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Logos Bible Software is here to serve everyone who studies the Bible. That is intentionally "big tent" and we intentionally do not have a statement of faith or a doctrinal position.

The forums are here to support and discuss Logos Bible Software. There are plenty of forums for gladitorial theological combat; please take those discussions there.

Bob, you are going to have trouble with the Big Tent mentality when it comes to the folks that buy your software, and how they want to express themselves on a forum like this. Just as you brought up good points about church splits etc, when you are talking about the Bible, it will cause some to ask questions, who do not know about any discussions on other web pages (some of them I pray will never be found), but are reading your product and have questions. Or, do you simply want only question to come up about what button do I press to do this or that, and how do you inforce that?

With that said, I think you need to allow some of your VIP's authority to kill a thread when it gets out of hand. I don't think you need to make a commentary on all of this, or let Dan take the brunt of it (humor), because folks will view your comments differently then you probably intended them to.

I am sorry that you had to step in, and I don't know the thread that caused it, but you have some pretty good VIPs that could help nip this before it gets out of hand. Just some thoughts.

Ralph

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 4:51 PM

Ralph Mauch:
I think you need to allow some of your VIP's authority to kill a thread

While I sympathize with this sentiment, I don't think it is the answer.  Ultimately, if this policy is implemented, you have the potential of producing a lot of hurt feelings.  "Why did you kill my thread but not this one?"  "That MVP is biased against [name a theological position here] but sympathetic towards [name a theological position here]."   "Unfair."  "Capricious."

I think a better solution would be to establish a Cage Match forum which could be entered voluntarily or, posts/threads could be redirected there by the MVPs.  Perhaps, in extreme situations, it might even be used to banish a recalcitrant for a timeout with no access to the main forums ... sort of like a penalty box.  Either way, the Cage Match forum would be a no holds barred, enter at your own risk, place where the more philosophically pugnacious, those who like theological jousting, and those who fantasize themselves as Valiant for Truth can go and have at it.  Meanwhile the rest of the Logos Forums can be dedicated to the software and the books as the owner/provider of forum has stated many times over.

Just my two cents ...

JRS has left the building.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 5:30 PM

Ralph Mauch:
With that said, I think you need to allow some of your VIP's authority to kill a thread when it gets out of hand.
JRS:
I think a better solution would be to establish a Cage Match forum which could be entered voluntarily or, posts/threads could be redirected there by the MVPs.
 Make sense to me. Look how it worked in Mayberry. Hang a star on the village idiot and let him patrol the halls. 

You assume that an unpaid hall monitor is more effective than a paid hall monitor?

Bob Pritchett:
I do not want to moderate the forums. I do not want to pay someone to moderate the forums. I am opposed to deleting or locking threads because it's pointless: the person who must make their voice heard will find other ways to do so. And the person who would respect the shut down doesn't need to be "deleted," only told. And I want to spend our resources on building tools, not hiring hall monitors for the forums.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 5:36 PM

My two cents is that these things need to be killed IMMEDIATELY if they escalate as quickly and divisively as the recent one did.  Especially if the poster has a previous history or is especially adamant that (s)he speaks for God and the rules as stated here don't apply to them.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 5:49 PM

In another thread a wise man recently said this:  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/34988/264860.aspx#264860

and this: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/34988/264902.aspx#264902

and this:  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/34988/264927.aspx#264927

Let Bob run Logos. Coffee

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 5:54 PM

Matthew, your link didn't send me anywhere that supports your comment.  I consider Richard DeRuiter to be VERY wise, but he wasn't commenting on Bob running his business.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 5:56 PM

Oh, sorry.  I "get" your drift now, Matthew.  Rightly dividing one's comments is important, isn't it?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 5:58 PM

I know we all want the same results but Bob did not ask for our help in developing forum policy. There are as many ideas on how to do that as there are ways to celebrate December's Holy Day(s).

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:00 PM

I'm not a big fan of sweeping things under rugs, mind you.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:03 PM

The forum policies are there for everyone to see.  The ones posted under the Phil Gons moniker, anyway.  THEY seem like a REALLY good idea to me.

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:22 PM

Well since everyone else seems to be giving Bob unsolicited advice, let me try as well.

First, these forums are owned by Logos. They pay for them, they have their name on them, they are the "face" of Logos on the internet. That means that no one, including me, has a right to say anything here other than Logos employees. There is a huge difference between freedom of speech and freedom of venue.

Second, that means that Logos can (and should) close threads, delete comments, and generally police the forums. If I get moderated, that is fine. Just because I have the right to believe and say what I believe, does not give me the right to go into your house and yell at you (or call you on the phone at 2am, or shout in a movie theater, you get my drift).

Third, the expectation of the forums is that this will be a place for help, discussion, etc. about Logos. This is especially true since Logos does not really come with any sort of help files or manual. That is not a problem - because the forums fill that gap very nicely.

Fourth, the users need to exercise restraint within the constraints of the above (and Logos forum philosophy). This is a place about software, not theology. When a thread comes up about a Logos resource where people gush about a resource that I consider heretical or dangerous, I simply avoid that thread (as I expect others do with threads I find useful). There is no need to "do theology" here. I want to know what resources are available in Logos, not what people think is wrong about certain authors.

My suggestion as an admin of a theology board with more than 2 million visits and 10 million page views per year, is that a little policing goes a long way. Having users "report threads" to Logos employees (through PM? email? a report thread subforum?) and then having Logos employees summarily close threads or delete posts that go against guidelines would all but stop this kind of time sink.

Keep up the good work, Logos. Your software is helpful, and so are these forums. 

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:28 PM

Just thought I would tell a little story (fairly light-hearted)...

I was once working at a service station (gas station) and a Jehovah's Witness came in doing his night-time ministry.  He introduced himself.  I said "Great, because I'm a Jehovah's Witness too.  Yes, I witness about Jehovah all the time!  But I'm also a Muslim!"  He said, "how can that be?"  I said, "I believe in the one true God - that makes me a Muslim doesn't it?  But wait, I'm also a Mormon."  Looking even more bewildered, he asked, "How?"  "Well" I said, "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, and I am a saint living in the last days...doesn't this make me a Mormon?"  "Im also a Catholic" I continued, "Yes, I also go to the one true church!"

"Oh" said the JW, "so you are a Christian!"  I said, "well, I could be a Baptist because I've had the full immersion done...I could be an SDA as I belive in the Sabbath...I could be a Pentecostal because I've had one of those experiences too!"  "Wait, wait!" said the JW, "what church do you go to?"

'I could go to the CRC, COC, CCC, AOG...but I belong to the church of the Living G-O-D!!!"

Finally he understood what I meant...so we decided to pray together that we would both understand God's Word better...I closed my eyes right then and there...begun to praise in tongues...when I opened my eyes, all I saw was the automatic doors closing.

My story always makes me think of the parable of the Good Samaritan.  I am positive that our Lord's theology was better than mine, yet he could put it aside to help somebody that the rest of the religious leadership might not want, or be able, to.  Indeed, even his own race!

Prayer..."Lord, please pour you oil upon us that our scars my soften and fade, and help us to drink of your new wine so that we are sensitive to your Holy Spirit.  Let your love reign in our lives."

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this forum...I find myself looking forward to checking it every day.  For a non-church attender, this can count as true fellowship, believe me!

Posts 278
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:50 PM

Is Mebin:

Just thought I would tell a little story (fairly light-hearted)...

I was once working at a service station (gas station) and a Jehovah's Witness came in doing his night-time ministry.  He introduced himself.  I said "Great, because I'm a Jehovah's Witness too.  Yes, I witness about Jehovah all the time!  But I'm also a Muslim!"  He said, "how can that be?"  I said, "I believe in the one true God - that makes me a Muslim doesn't it?  But wait, I'm also a Mormon."  Looking even more bewildered, he asked, "How?"  "Well" I said, "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, and I am a saint living in the last days...doesn't this make me a Mormon?"  "Im also a Catholic" I continued, "Yes, I also go to the one true church!"

typical NEW AGE MOVEMENT, STOP YOUR OPION,THIS NOT TURTH.  hope confession in Gospel of Jesus.

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Posts 34
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:53 PM

Ben:
typical NEW AGE MOVEMENT, STOP YOUR OPION,THIS NOT TURTH.  hope confession in Gospel of Jesus.

How's that No Debate policy workin' out for ya?

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 7:00 PM

Chris Thompson:

Ben:

How's that no debate policy workin' out for ya?

As well as a spelling policy. Stick out tongue

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 7:00 PM

edit:   I take my pearls back. Zip it! 

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 7:01 PM

Ben:

Thank you for your OPION (opinion) of what is TURTH (truth)...I really do value it...and yes, I am a New-Ager...a believer in Jesus Christ (in whom I put ALL my hope) living in a new age!!!  God bless you.

Posts 278
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 7:03 PM

Chris Thompson:

Ben:

How's that no debate policy workin' out for ya?

Indeed I agree with Bob, but if  someone proclaim non-Bible word or mislead God's Word, we don't slience.

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 7:05 PM
Thanks, Bob. I've taught classes recently where the 20-or so people present attend a different church. 20-plus in the same room from different theological backgrounds and all still respect each other at the end of each trimester. And they keep coming back. 20-some different churches! I understand your premise and know it can be done. Staying focused on Bible study with Logos Bible software is exciting enough. God bless {Charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 34
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 30 2011 7:07 PM

Matthew C Jones:
"This is not about Logos Bible Software; let's discontinue this thread."
Oh!...Thank Goodness!!! a Hall Monitor to the rescue! Stick out tongue

Page 2 of 19 (367 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS