Most asked for prayer in Bible?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Michael Mahony | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 4 2011 9:31 AM

Hi,

I would like to know how to use Logos search features to answer my question..."what is the most asked for prayer in the Bible?".

I recently heard a sermon in which the Pastor said the most asked for prayer in the Bible was "Lord, have mercy on me".

I would like to know how to conduct a search in Logos to prove this answer.   I am a relatively new user of Logos and ask that you please provide me the steps you use, so I can learn how to do this in the future.  

Thank you and as we celebrate our nations freedom on this July 4th, may we cherish the freedom we have in Christ above all else.

Michael Mahony,

Bible Storyteller

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 9:50 AM

Michael,

Welcome to the forums.

There is no one search you can do to get the results you'd probably like to get. If every prayer in a Bible version were in some way marked as a prayer, a simple search would find all of them, then you could sort through them and get your answer. Unfortunately prayers are not marked as such.

I would have no trouble believing the most offered prayer is the one you heard since it appears frequently in the Psalms and in Jesus' earthly ministry. Here is a search for the phrase 'have mercy' in the KJV:

These results are not all petitions nor is each unique so the actual occurrence of this petition is less than the 51 results reported.

Bob Pritchett the president of Logos once asked what types of searched we'd like to be able to do that we can't now do. This would fall into that category.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 12:56 PM

Hi Michael,

Michael Mahony:

I would like to know how to use Logos search features to answer my question..."what is the most asked for prayer in the Bible?".

I recently heard a sermon in which the Pastor said the most asked for prayer in the Bible was "Lord, have mercy on me".

I would like to know how to conduct a search in Logos to prove this answer.

I like you am new to the forums. Your  question is a simple yet profound one. I took two approaches towards answering it. First, I used a Logos4 bible search; see my screenshot below. Finally, I entered a Google search using your exact question. Guess what. Your question to the forum trended to the top. Thank you for sharing an excellent question. In my opinion, prayers for healing and deliverance are more common requests in the bible as well as in contemporary life. But, this is my own intuitive sense. Although the solution to answering questions such as these is likely to be complicated; I do hope that team Logos will find an approach to do just that. Peace.....

http://screencast.com/t/BBV9spYl

I am so sorry. I could not get the screenshot to paste into this post. Maybe someone can educate me in the use of Jing for this purpose. So, I've provided this url instead. Thanks.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 1:02 PM

Beloved:
I am so sorry. I could not get the screenshot to paste into this post. Maybe someone can educate me in the use of Jing for this purpose. So, I've provided this url instead. Thanks.

Look here for everything you wanted to know (and more!) about posting to these forums:

http://wiki.logos.com/Using_the_Forum

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 5:20 PM

One search idea is looking for "O God" OR "O Lord" that finds 535 results in ESV, including 3 more mercy variants, which are highlighted in screenshot

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS