Logos Bible atlas and Windows 7

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Michael Abdul-Malak, MD | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 11 2011 3:57 PM

I recently nupgraded to win 7 Pro - 64 bit. I was unable to install "Logos Bible Atlas"  software on it. I was however able to install in Vertual PC mode. Under that mode I can see the mediterranean map and Palestine map. I can also search by name. However, I was unable to open the topical maps from the table of contents or open any maps when I click on the green links that are present throughout the text. Any advice?

Posts 26242
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 4:10 PM

I think it is old 16-bit software as that cannot be installed on a 64-bit Windows. If you have Logos4 Biblical Places would be the replacement for this product. Any reason not to use that?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 4:20 PM

I run Win7 and also Logos Bible Atlas. I'd never noticed the green links don't work, but you're right.

I don't have any problem opening the topical maps from the TOC or any other functionality. I installed it 'normally'.

If I were going to guess, have you installed IE9 and if so, installed the patch? I've not heard of this software being impacted by IE9 but the menu not working sounds familar.

In W7, it warns you not to install the directory 'PROGRAMS' in the root (which LBA does). So each time I run it, I have to delete 'PROGRAMS' carefully and not Program Files or ProgramData.

I've ended up using Bible Mapper to see the locations by period but do like the elevation views in LBA.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 4:22 PM

I saw Dave's comment; yes, I'm not running 64bit but 32bit.

I'd take a look at Bible Mapper (it's free) plus of course the  Logos4 maps.

Posts 8
Michael Abdul-Malak, MD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2011 12:24 PM

The logos 4 places has a reasonable replacement for the Mediterranean and Palestine maps except that it lacks the ability to chose a specific era from the time line.  The topical maps are also a great feature of this software that Logos 4 does not include. The clarity and the detail of these maps is amazing. They tremendously enhance your understanding of the biblical text and can be used as illustrtarions in a class or a Bible study. I wish that Logos incorporated the great features of this software into Logos 4. They would have been a very welcome addition to this wonderful Bible study software. Thanks for your all yourresponses.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2011 1:38 PM

Michael, I agree completely that Logos4 mapping could be improved with many of the Logos Bible Atlas functions.

The biggest one missing is the ability to create time-based maps, and high-res elevation maps.

Bible Mapper does both, it's free and the maps at high zoom are absolutely gorgeous. One place I like to view them is the path Barnabas and Paul took on  their 1st journey (to understand the mountain passes, etc).  Another place is to understand why Philippi was colonized by Roman troops (strategically). It's most obvious looking at an elevation map.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS