Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 47 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 29367
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 11:40 PM

George Somsel:

David Knoll:

David J. Sugg:
The only NT example is Revelation 4:8 - "And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!"

And Revelation 8:13

In Re 8.13 ff this is understood as literally 3 woes.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 851
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 10:41 AM

Thanks, Martha.

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2020 1:41 PM

More recent discussion on this topic: Searching for Three-peats.

Posts 2
Joshua E Faucett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2020 5:58 PM

Hi David,

Emphatic three-fold exact repetition is used exactly seven times (the number of completion and perfection) in Scripture. The replys to your post capture the first six (Isaiah 6:3, Ezekiel 21:27, Jeremiah 7:4, Jeremiah 22:29, Revelation 4:8, Revelation 8:13), but the final use is the most important not to overlook.  I believe that there are exactly six others for a reason, the same number 6 that is the mark of the beast, being the number of Adam (man), created on the 6th day, and repeated three times for emphasis of its significance:

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six Six Six.

Revelation 13:18

Posts 18501
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2020 8:48 PM

Joshua E Faucett:
The replys to your post capture the first six (Isaiah 6:3, Ezekiel 21:27, Jeremiah 7:4, Jeremiah 22:29, Revelation 4:8, Revelation 8:13)

Welcome to the Logos Bible Software Forums Big Smile

Newer Logos 8 thread => Searching for Three-peats includes reply with nine triplicates in the Hebrew Bible:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Syntax Search likewise finds these eight verses plus Jeremiah 7:4 phrase repeated three times

New Testament has "... Jerusalem. Jerusalem, Jerusalem, ..." in Luke 13:33-34

An intriguing triple repetition occurs in Revelation 1:4, 1:8, and 4:8 "the one who is and the one who was and the one who is coming" that expresses the meaning of God's Most Holy Name: YHWH

Revelation 13:18 is literally "six hundred sixty-six" "ἑξακόσιοι ἑξήκοντα ἕξ" so Greek root ἕξ (hex = six) is repeated in three words.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2
Joshua E Faucett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2020 4:58 AM

Thank you for your reply. I don't read Hebrew so this is helpful, but when I look at the extra verses you provided, I don't see any additional "exact" triplets. Don't be deceived by Satan - 666 is an exact triplet of the number of Adam, created on the sixth day. When you find yourself faced with the decision to receive a permanent physical marker on your right hand or forehead as a "vaccine" for a certain pandemic, be sure that if it was obtained under patent associated with the number of man (6), and it is given forcibly in association with the worship of a certain charismatic world leader, this is prophetic fulfillment of the "exact" three-fold repetition in 6-6-6, mark of the beast.

Posts 18501
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2020 1:06 PM

Joshua E Faucett:
I don't read Hebrew so this is helpful, but when I look at the extra verses you provided, I don't see any additional "exact" triplets.

Thankful for Logos Help Center (LHC) including articles => Study Hebrew with Logos , => Study Greek with Logos , and => Using the Syntax Search in Logos

Another Hebrew Syntax Search looks for triplets of one, two, OR three lexemes (Dictionary word form, lemma) that finds nine verses (no triplets of three lexemes)

Greek Syntax Search looks for triplets of one, two, OR three lexemes (third repetition of three lexemes matches only the first lemma: Revelation 1:4, Revelation 1:8, and Revelation 4:8 as the first two verbs have the lexeme for verb εἰμί "to be" with past and present tenses while third verb ἔρχομαι "to come; to arrive" is a future state of being)

If an "exact" triplet is the same original language lexeme(s) with identical word formation (spelling) three times in a row, then the seven "exact" triplets are:

1. Holy, Holy, Holy (Isaiah 6:3)
  2. Temple Lord, Temple Lord, Temple Lord (Jeremiah 7:4)
  3. Land, Land, Land (Jeremiah 22:29)
  4. Ruin, Ruin, Ruin (Ezekiel 21:32 in Hebrew, Ezekiel 21:27 in LXX and English)
  5. Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Jerusalem (Luke 13:33-34)
  6. Holy, Holy, Holy (Revelation 4:8)
  7. Woe, Woe, Woe (Revelation 8:13)

Several English translations have the number 666 in Revelation 13:18 as a way to translate the three Greek words for 600, 60, 6.

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn. Thankful for Forum Guidelines (primary focus is using Faithlife Corporation applications, apps, products, web sites, ...).

Product example is two Commentaries about Revelation 1:4 that can be purchased at https://www.logos.com

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1
Paula Schwartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 4:56 AM

I’m pretty sure that 3 examples would the the absolute perfect (complete & harmonious) number of examples to this phenomena...😜.  Just sayin❤️

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS