Strange copy / paste behaviour when adding to a Passage List

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25349
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 23 2011 12:44 AM | Locked

When researching a problem reported by another user (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/35986/270173.aspx#270173) I noticed something strange about copying & pasting a reference into a Passage List.

To demonstrate it I open a blank passage list and a Bible translation, right-click on a verse, select "Reference" and the Copy option

I then paste this into the "Reference" box on the Passage List

At this point pressing on the blue arrow or pressing Enter does not cause this reference to be added to the Passage List. If I delete the "(ESV)" at the end it then works.

Presumably the paste function into the Passage List should strip out the translation information.

This is in 4.3B13

Graham

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2011 9:11 AM | Locked

"Copy Deuteronomy 6:7" copies the text of the entire verse to the clipboard using your preferred Copy Bible Verses style. The text box you're pasting it into can only accept one line of text, so it just shows the first line, and throws the rest away. Coincidentally, your current CBV style just happens to have the Bible reference (and Bible abbreviation) on the first line.

To fix this problem, the Passage List text box could strip out the extra info and try to make sense of what was pasted in. There is an easier way, however: just use the "Add to passage list" command shown near the bottom of the context menu screenshot you posted. 

Update: I read the other thread you mentioned and see that you already know about "Add to passage list".

Posts 25349
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2011 3:30 PM | Locked

Hi Bradley

Thanks for explaining what was going on here - it all makes sense now!

As you point out there is an easier way so don't think changing the Passage List text box behaviour on paste is worth doing.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS