Friendly Feedback--The Last 72 Hours Have Not Given Me a Positive Impression of Logos4

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:06 PM

After 72 hours I still do not have a fully installed and functioning Logos 4. I purchase the upgrade Monday morning and downloads did not stop until yesterday evening. Granted I have a lot of resources and I am sure the system was being overwelmed, but this was way too long. Then indexing started last night and I have no idea whether or not it has completed. I do not see the {random} directory so I have to assume that all the resources have not download, indexing has not completed or both.

I was hoping to install on my church computer using Dave Hooton's method of transfering resources, but until I actually can find all these GB's of resources that took forever to download, I am not about to start this nightmarish installation process on a second computer.

My I suggest that a little more feedback to the user would help ease some of this furstration. Under version three at least you would know that you had all the lastest resources and updates. With version 4 you have to wait around for the little Logos icon to show up on your task bar and as I found out Monday morning sometimes you have to wait around for a very long time for it to finally make its appearance.

I was really looking forward to this version. Right now I am just looking forward to going to bed and not looking or thinking about Logos 4. I am not mad, just tired and very disappointed.

Keith Larson

Posts 73
Martin J Webster | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:10 PM

I echo your comments on a Vista computer!

My experience has been similar and I am very disappointed at the lack of support material that will assist a use move from Logos 3 to 4!

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:34 PM

P. Keith Larson:
I do not see the {random} directory so I have to assume that all the resources have not download, indexing has not completed or both.

If you navigate to the Logos 4 directory (eg C:\Users\%user%\Appdata\Local\Logos4), and then enter open the Data folder is there nothing there? The {random} directory in those instructions, is just saying "a directory whose name is a random string of characters unique to this user on this installation". This directory will be created when you first run the program and log in with your Logos username (I think) and certainly needs to exist before you could do any downloading or indexing of resources since that's where all the files are stored...

Under than "random" directory the resources are in /ResourceManager/Resources...

Posts 3655
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:40 PM

Hi Keith & Larson,

I hope by now your experience has improved. I was a beta tester, & for a week or 2 early in the process we were overwhelmed with downloads... I had two that were over 10Gb in size. (I'm so thankful I don't have to deal with download caps from my ISP!) The indexing for hours & hours & hours after each download (there were many more big ones--over a Gb--than the big 2!) also contributed to our initial dismay. This is all to say you're right... but the story doesn't end there.

I'd add 3 pointers towards hope:

1. Eventually, L4 will finish downloading & indexing, & it'll then begin to grow on you...  My prayer for you is that you SOON get to that point.
  2. Logos has already been able to SIGNIFICANTLY help with the amount of download/indexing. As they come up the learning curve with their new platform/technology, I fully expect they'll be able to help a bit more. So don't assume it'll always be this bad. It's already getting better, since 6 weeks ago.
  3. The up-front work to download generally has a recurring & big payoff in the speed of searches.  That feeds back into point 1, but it's worth noting separately.

Blessings to you!

Bill (not from Logos)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:47 PM

Hey Keith, the good news is, do it this one time and future updates and integration will be much easier on you and your computer :-)

Meantime, this may help

The Power of Indexing, Explained       

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:59 AM

Thanks I found the directory now and am in the process of moving all the book files to an external drive.

I would not have minded this if I was a beta tester, but as a paying customer this has not been an experience I could recommend to anyone.

Keith

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:20 AM

P. Keith Larson:
I would not have minded this if I was a beta tester, but as a paying customer this has not been an experience I could recommend to anyone.
Just to clarify, us beta testers are paying customers.  I myself have spent multiple thousands of Dollars on Logos.  After spending two months with the beta group, I think just about every one of them have massive libraries because we've paid for them.   We're all in this with you, and we've all put our money where our mouth is.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:28 AM

P. Keith,

Many nights during beta testing, I would go to sleep hoping to wake up to a world that loved L3 and would never change one iota of that program.  Big Smile  I complained LOUDLY and am so thankful that I got a breakthrough from the Lord-for sure- and eventually I caught the vision for L4 that transformed my attitude-look at the whole, not at the parts that you think are missing or work differently.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:58 AM

Joan Korte:
I complained LOUDLY
Now Joan, I always thought you were so ...er... gracious Wink  Surely It was Philip Spitzer who did all the whining.  Stick out tongue

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:03 AM

Thomas Black:
Surely It was Philip Spitzer who did all the whining.  Stick out tongue

I did not..I feel so abused, why does everybody keep picking on me.....MOM!!!!!!

Posts 77
Ray Timmermans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:46 AM

Joe Miller:

Hey Keith, the good news is, do it this one time and future updates and integration will be much easier on you and your computer :-)

Joe,

I'm not so sure that is accurate. I have had multiple re-indexing since the release. In fact one is going on right now and has been since early yesterday evening. It has 9 hours and 49 minutes remaining...down from the 60+ hours three hours ago and 87 hours when I set the computer on hibernate early this morning. While there is "power" in indexing the wait time is enormous and never seems to end. Maybe the Lord is working some patience into me, but it would be nice to feel as though we can actually use the program in its fullest at some point.

Ray

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:50 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Thomas Black:

I did not..I feel so abused, why does everybody keep picking on me.....MOM!!!!!!

<HUG>Phillip</HUG>

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 155
James Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:56 AM

Thomas Black:
After spending two months with the beta group, I think just about every one of them have massive libraries because we've paid for them.   We're all in this with you, and we've all put our money where our mouth is.

Ditto... Amen and Amen... and still spending money... I believe Wink

I liked L4 so much I bought the Platinum upgrade for my Pastor... I like Logos so much.... I might just have to buy the company... well maybe not that much... or maybe not that well off... this side of heaven Big Smile

Loving LBS4, Logos and cant' wait for next Monday when my WBC disc shows up at the door... BTW can I download that now in LBS4? or practice patience?

In Him,

Jim

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:58 PM

James Brown:

Loving LBS4, Logos and cant' wait for next Monday when my WBC disc shows up at the door... BTW can I download that now in LBS4? or practice patience?

In Him,

Jim

You can download the resources, but you have to wait for the mail to get your code. So the answer is yes, but it would be pointless.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:02 PM

DominicM:

Philip Spitzer:

Thomas Black:

<HUG>Phillip</HUG>

HAHAHA HA  ROTFLOL

Check the Wiki

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS