If you havent got Office/Word 2007+ and dont have the $$$ to buy...

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2373
DominicM | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 29 2011 1:46 PM

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive is free or if you have a MSN Messanger account https://skydrive.live.com/  and cloud based, so If you cannot afford Microsoft Word 2007 or 2010 Thanks to the cloud you can still create the required docx files to make your PB's

when you are logged in create a new document

when you have done what you need to you may be wondering how to get it from the cloud to your PC..

highlight the file and click the (i)

then choose download

then you can move it to you PB folder and compile it.

Hope thats helps if skydrive is new to you...

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 536
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2011 2:28 PM

Nice find!

Posts 7297
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:51 AM

This would be a great place to add other alternatives that will WRITE a docx file.  

If you add to this list, please verify with a direct link to the site that it will write and not just read the format.  As of this writing there is no functioning way for openoffice.org to write docx.

Posts 1003
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:17 PM

Thanks Thomas! I couldn't figure out why I went with LibreOffice as an Office alternative. This one might be enough of a reason.

Posts 8848
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 10:43 PM

Thomas Black:

This would be a great place to add other alternatives that will WRITE a docx file.  

If you add to this list, please verify with a direct link to the site that it will write and not just read the format.  As of this writing there is no functioning way for openoffice.org to write docx.

I'm pleased to hear about these options for those who don't have Word 2010.  I would not have had it myself if I hadn't bought a new computer and specified that it be so equipped.  There is still a way for everyone to participate -- that's great!

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 72
Richard Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 1:58 AM

If you have Word 2000 or later, but not Word 2007, you can download the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3 Then you can open and create docx files from older versions of Word.

Posts 4776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 2:59 AM

Thanks for posting Richard. Add it to the wiki. 

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3321
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 7:56 AM

Hi Richard,

Richard Wilson:
If you have Word 2000 or later, but not Word 2007, you can download the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack

It works for many of the tags in PB, but it does not work for pictures that you embed in your document, see this post http://community.logos.com/forums/p/36258/271995.aspx#271995

QLinks, Bibl2, Reporter, Macros
Dell Insp 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 G, 4G RAM, Vista

Posts 4
Elder Barry c. Pouncil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 8:32 AM

Thank You very much Thomas.

Posts 13
Matt Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 8:28 AM

Sigh.

Tried LibreOffice.  Saving a table of contents to docx crashes the application.  Looking at their bug list it seems docx is rather unreliable at the moment.  It will, however save a simple text document, which is a start, and far better than nothing.

Tried Zoho.  Will transmit a table of contents, but will not preserve extra carriage returns when PBB is built, at least in my one test document.

Someone with better luck?  Someday I'm gonna cave and buy word...

Posts 8848
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:45 AM

Richard Wilson:

If you have Word 2000 or later, but not Word 2007, you can download the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3 Then you can open and create docx files from older versions of Word.

If you don't have Word 2007 or 2010, rejoice!  They ruined the program with the new ribbon interface.  I could do anything (almost) with Word 2003, but I can't center a simple table with 2010.  Give me the old interface any day.  I don't know what idiot came up with this idea or what collection of idiots agreed that it was a good idea, but it's terrible. I can't do much more than simple documents with 2010.  I think I'll look for the CD for 2003 and install that to use in creating a PB then opening it in 2010 and saving it.  Grouch !  Grouch !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5285
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:55 AM

steve clark:

Richard Wilson:
If you have Word 2000 or later, but not Word 2007, you can download the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack

It works for many of the tags in PB, but it does not work for pictures that you embed in your document, see this post http://community.logos.com/forums/p/36258/271995.aspx#271995

Steve,

I don't know if you linked the wrong thread or if I overlooked it, but I don't seem to see a discussion of Word 2007/10 "native" versus Compatibility Pack-format there. The problems with pictures were traced to the formatting options (tight versus in-line) and as per Melissa, this issue will be solved in the next release. Is there another place where a potential issue with pictures under Office CP is discussed? I could get access to a Word 2003 installation with CP and try to test whether there is a real problem - if there are indicators for it in the first place.

Mick

running Logos 5.3 Beta 2 (Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - Win7 Home 32bit & Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 14395
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 11:40 AM

George Somsel:
They ruined the program with the new ribbon interface.  I could do anything (almost) with Word 2003, but I can't center a simple table with 2010.  Give me the old interface any day.  I don't know what idiot came up with this idea

George. George, you're beginning to sound like my Dad in his last years. He built his own computer before retiring (think cattleman), became a tester of agricultural software for the state university when he retired, went from PC to Mac in his early 80's as the local elementary/middle school computer guru but by his mid-90's just wasn't able to cope with XP. I swear you stole his lines . or, perhaps, when he died a couple of years ago he bequeathed his lines to you?Wink

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8848
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 1:52 PM

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:
They ruined the program with the new ribbon interface.  I could do anything (almost) with Word 2003, but I can't center a simple table with 2010.  Give me the old interface any day.  I don't know what idiot came up with this idea

George. George, you're beginning to sound like my Dad in his last years. He built his own computer before retiring (think cattleman), became a tester of agricultural software for the state university when he retired, went from PC to Mac in his early 80's as the local elementary/middle school computer guru but by his mid-90's just wasn't able to cope with XP. I swear you stole his lines . or, perhaps, when he died a couple of years ago he bequeathed his lines to you?Wink

I'm speaking, of course, of the interface and not the capabilities of the program.  To me a mouse is to locate the cursor and select objects; thereafter you use the keyboard.  I suggest we go back to DOS -- I like those switches.  Devil

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4776
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 7:07 PM

MJ. Smith:
He built his own computer before retiring (think cattleman), became a tester of agricultural software for the state university when he retired, went from PC to Mac in his early 80's as the local elementary/middle school computer guru

MJ, now I know where you got your brains from. I would have loved to meet your father.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 13219
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 8:26 PM

Matt Kim:

Sigh.

Tried LibreOffice.  Saving a table of contents to docx crashes the application. 

Concur LibreOffice 3.4.2 crashes when trying to saving a docx file with Table of Contents (indexes and tables).  Logos 4 Personal Books does not need Table of Contents, only needs paragraphs marked with heading # styles so can create Table of Contents during compilation.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS