A few simple questions

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 941
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:42 PM

Hey all,

I just KNOW these questions have been answered, but after reading about 3,123,258,808 posts (plus or minus a couple thousand) and not finding it explained to my simple and sleep-deprived mind, I figured it was time to ask.

1. Is it true that moving from 3 to Logos 4 requires a purchase. If so, this seems contrary to my understanding that the resources are what we buy but the software is always freely available.

2. The upgrade packages include resources not included in the earlier packages. Perhaps a couple things dropped off as well. Since some of the new items are ones that I may have purchased earlier, I would like to know if there is anywhere in the universe that shows the old packages and their contents alongside the new packages and their contents?

3. Will all the resources AND add-ins that I own eventually work in L4? Even simple things like the Eusebian Canons which I currently have but which is not included in the Original Languages upgrade make me wonder.

4. I'm surprised the upgrade comparison page is simple text instead of links to the descriptions of the resources. Is there any place that does list these with links?

5. Am I misreading the EULA? It does not seem to allow my installing L4 on my two computers. But, as I said, I am tired and zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lew

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:51 PM

LewWorthington:

1. Is it true that moving from 3 to Logos 4 requires a purchase. If so, this seems contrary to my understanding that the resources are what we buy but the software is always freely available.

2. The upgrade packages include resources not included in the earlier packages. Perhaps a couple things dropped off as well. Since some of the new items are ones that I may have purchased earlier, I would like to know if there is anywhere in the universe that shows the old packages and their contents alongside the new packages and their contents?

3. Will all the resources AND add-ins that I own eventually work in L4? Even simple things like the Eusebian Canons which I currently have but which is not included in the Original Languages upgrade make me wonder.

4. I'm surprised the upgrade comparison page is simple text instead of links to the descriptions of the resources. Is there any place that does list these with links?

5. Am I misreading the EULA? It does not seem to allow my installing L4 on my two computers. But, as I said, I am tired and zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lew

1. You can simply download the "engine". Some functions may not work because they rely on certain resources - biblical people, places, things for example. But, its free and you can try it and then decide on a minimal upgrade, a full crossgrade or a base package upgrade.

2. Not that I know of. But, all items which are "new" to particular packages are clearly marked as such on the comparison charts.

3. There may be a couple of old 2.0 resources which don't. I only have Oxford Biblical commentary in this format and it works fine. As to add-ins, you can check the what's missing page. The only one I know which will most definitely not be ported over is the z.90 library search thingy. Also, you current biblical people is not the same as the one in 4.0 - they are considered different resources.

4. I think that this was rushed out the door - no popups on hover as in 3.0. I'm sure this will come. I've taken to simply selecting the text and right click sending it to a google search. The logos.com page has never been more than the fourth result.

5. As many computers as you want - 2, 3, 7, 10. BUT only one User!

Posts 1718
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:12 PM

I'm a fairly new Logos user (12 months), so don't take this as authoritative, but I'll have a shot.

1. Is it true that moving from 3 to Logos 4 requires a purchase.

No. You can download Logos4 from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe without a purchase (assuming you have a Logos 3 package.)

Naturally you don't get the additional resources offered in the new Logos 4 packages unless you purchase them. That's what you get if you purchase the upgrade from (say) Logos 3 Scholars to Logos 4 Scholars. You can use the version 4 interface with your existing resources just by downloading it. Or, you have the option to upgrade your package (say ND) to the new package (say LE) so you get the additional resources. To decide, see if the cost gives you resources you would like to have. (They did for me.)

Logos has stated they will never remove any resources you have already purchased, so you won't lose any existing resources if you upgrade to 4.

Regarding the old packages, I had saved the old comparsion chart: http://allenbrowne.com/unlinked/logos3ComparisonChart.pdf

All the additional resource I'd purchased for L3 were automatically picked up and indexed for L4, but my PBBs were not. They should work by mid-2010 -- http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

I can't comment on add-ins.

Since you already have one of the base packs, log in, and go to http://www.logos.com/upgrade

This should give you a personalized update price and a Download link for each package. (What they seem to be doing is to take into account any resources you have already purchased, and giving you some credit towards a package that includes that resource.)

The license is for one user. You can use it on your desktop as well as your laptop, but that's all. Anyone else needs their own license to use it.

There was a thread regarding how to install onto you desktop and laptop without downloading all the resources again.

Finally, if you do upgrade from a version 3 package to a version 4 one, you buy the right to use those resources regardless of the version you use. So, if a resource is available for version 3 (not all the new ones are), you could download it from ftp://ftp.logos.com/LbxBooks/ and you will find that it works in version 3 as well if you prefer the old interface.

HTH.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:10 AM

without having read through the other answers i'll give mine...

LewWorthington:

No. You can download just the engine. you will miss out on new features in L4 that require resources included in all packages, including the minimal (biblical people, places, things, for one).

LewWorthington:
2. I would like to know if there is anywhere in the universe that shows the old packages and their contents alongside the new packages and their contents?

Since Have the old packages somewhere in an excel sheet I could combine them with the excel sheet I made of L4 packages. If your decision to purchase will rest on it I'll try to dig them up.

LewWorthington:

If you owned a resource before, you will retain it in L4. I'm not sure how the add-ins will work, though.

LewWorthington:

I'm surprised too. I'm not aware of a place that links them.

LewWorthington:
5. Am I misreading the EULA? It does not seem to allow my installing L4 on my two computers.

Yes, your misreading. somewhere in there it says that you can install L4 on as many computers as you personally use for study. In other words So long as you are the only person studying with the resources you purchased, your good.

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:31 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Yes, your misreading. somewhere in there it says that you can install L4 on as many computers as you personally use for study. In other words So long as you are the only person studying with the resources you purchased, your good.

Philip and others,

Does this mean my wife would not be able to use them?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:36 AM

David B Phillips:

That question recently came up in the forum and I'm not sure the answer yet. I'm waiting until the dust settles over L4s release before stiring the hornets nest. No rest for the weary...right, Logos team? :-)

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:38 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Not that I'm a legalistic Pharisee but I'm changing my wife's name to Robert as we speak just in case...letter of the law right?  Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:40 AM

Robert Pavich:

Philip Spitzer:

Not that I'm a legalistic Pharisee but I'm changing my wife's name to Robert as we speak just in case...letter of the law right?  Big Smile

Most just resort to the theological argument of two becoming one and leave it there. I commend you for going a step further then everyone else. Surely you are more righteous.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:49 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Most just resort to the theological argument of two becoming one and leave it there. I commend you for going a step further then everyone else. Surely you are more righteous.

Oh man...I just shot coffee AND a sweet roll out of my nose!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:51 AM

Robert Pavich:
Oh man...I just shot coffee AND a sweet roll out of my nose!

Glad I could help further purge your system :-)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS