Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1934
Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 1 2011 4:35 PM

Some of us have a large collection of PBBs in Libronix.  I have kept Libronix on an old computer in order ot access these files.  I am wondering if they will be automatically converted to L4 once PBB goes live again.  Will there be a conversion tool to convert these files or do they all need to be rebuilt from scratch?

I would like to reformat this old computer.  But I am holding off thinking I will need these L3 PBB files for the upgrade to L4.  Is that thinking correct?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 4:45 PM

The old pbb format is not read by Logos 4. If you have the old source documents you should be able to convert and recompile them into Logos 4.

Posts 1934
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 5:28 PM

I know the old pbb format is not read by L4.  That was not the question I was asking, though I appreciate your reply. 

By old source documents, do you mean PBBs in L3?  Do you know if L4 is going to provide a way to convert the files that we have in L3?  What do you mean by recompile? When we switched from L3 to L4, all non PBB files were converted. 

My questions:

1.  Will there be a way to automatically convert what we have in L3 to L4?

2.  Do we need to keep these L3 files in Libronix for the eventual conversion, or will L4 be able to scan a storage folder of the L3 PBB files that I might have on my computer and convert them?

Mark

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 5:53 PM

Mark:
By old source documents, do you mean PBBs in L3?

No, the source documents for the former PBB's were html documents.

Mark:
Do you know if L4 is going to provide a way to convert the files that we have in L3?

Logos have suggested that the original compilers might do this. -- then hopefully we could eventually download them (from a yet to be created site.)

[My only suggestion would be to consider copying the text of the old PBB, pasting into Word, saving as a docx file and then re-compiling with the new PBB tool_BUT there may be "copyright" implications if someone else has created these works?---perhaps we might need to wait and discover what Thomas Black hopes to do, as he hosted many of these documents. I know that at least one of the contributors to his site is even now trying to re-compile his PBB -that is the ones that are not now already offered as Logos 4 resources for download. As you probably know some of the former PBB's have since been created and released by Logos as full fledged books.--in fact  "Bob" of Logos posted today that that scenario ie. competing with Logos' own versions would not be acceptable]

...as you can see some of this is still a "work in progress."

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1934
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 6:06 PM

Thanks.  So I suppose it is still wise to sit out and wait until PBB is up and running in L4 before deleting L3 from my machine. This would still be the advice of those that are wise?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 6:44 PM

SteveF, can't Word open HTML files and then resave them as docx for compiling in Logos 4? I don't have any original source documents to test this out on, but I think it should work preserving tagging in a way that cutting and pasting from compiled books in Libronix would not.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 6:50 PM

Mark:

By old source documents, do you mean PBBs in L3?  Do you know if L4 is going to provide a way to convert the files that we have in L3?  What do you mean by recompile? When we switched from L3 to L4, all non PBB files were converted. 

My questions:

1.  Will there be a way to automatically convert what we have in L3 to L4?

2.  Do we need to keep these L3 files in Libronix for the eventual conversion, or will L4 be able to scan a storage folder of the L3 PBB files that I might have on my computer and convert them?

Mark

Mark, the Libronix PBBs that you now have have been compiled from original html source files for use in Libronix. You will not be able to convert or compile the PBB files you now use in Libronix without having the underlying html files. Then, you will have to take the .html files and bring them into Microsoft Word and save them as .docx files because that is the file specification for the Logos 4 PBB compiler.

I have compiled a number of Libronix PBB resources that I have made available to the Logos community and will be working on compiling the source files so that they will work in Logos 4. We have learned that the PBB compiler is free in Logos 4, but at this time there is not a way to share the compiled PBB files with the community unless the holder of the source files gives the source files to you so that you can compile them. In the short run you may find authors donating the source files so that Logos users can compile them. Others may hold out until Logos announces a way for users to share compiled PBBs with each other without giving out the source files.

Hope this helps.

Posts 1934
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 7:42 PM

Hi Bill and others...

Thanks for the information. It does help me to plan.  I hope PBB will be done soon...I need to reformat my old laptop...this certainly is an exercise in patience.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:08 AM

Kevin Becker:
SteveF, can't Word open HTML files and then resave them as docx for compiling in Logos 4? I don't have any original source documents to test this out on, but I think it should work preserving tagging in a way that cutting and pasting from compiled books in Libronix would not.

Kevin, I have not yet tried this either--it would be great if this is possible to do. Thanks Smile

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 1:39 PM

SteveF:

Kevin Becker:

Kevin, I have not yet tried this either--it would be great if this is possible to do. Thanks Smile

Kevin and Steve, I just copied a random HTML book from the internet and pasted it into word. It saved fine as a .docx and compiled as expected in L4. I would imagine the same would be true of a file one had on their computer and opened with word.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 1:43 PM

Fred Chapman:

SteveF:

Kevin Becker:

Kevin and Steve, I just copied a random HTML book from the internet and pasted it into word. It saved fine as a .docx and compiled as expected in L4. I would imagine the same would be true of a file one had on their computer and opened with word.

Yes, you don't have to copy and paste. I open all my HTML files directly with Word and than save it as docx. I prefer even doing some changes and putting milestones in HTML editor (I use PSPad) and then just open the document in Word and save and compile to the PB in Logos. Works very well.

EDIT: I see now you are speaking about copying from the Internet. Makes sense.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS