So Right Now We're at 18¢ a Sermon

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 2 2011 5:28 AM

Can we get it lower...

Puritan Sermons 1659–1689 (6 vols.)

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 15226
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 6:10 AM

Paul Golder:

I think it is a disgrace how little some pastors get paid. Thanks, I'll be here all week. [insert cricket noises and/or groans]

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 473
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 6:28 AM

alabama24:

Paul Golder:

I think it is a disgrace how little some pastors get paid. Thanks, I'll be here all week. [insert cricket noises and/or groans]

Posts 5549
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 6:51 AM

I don't know .... 18 cents 'per play' is pretty hefty remuneration compared to MP3 cuts. But that's only in syndication. I'm always curious whether NT traveling apostles literally charged for their services as Paul seems to strongly imply.

Posts 90
Rick Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:05 AM

DMB:

I don't know .... 18 cents 'per play' is pretty hefty remuneration compared to MP3 cuts. But that's only in syndication. I'm always curious whether NT traveling apostles literally charged for their services as Paul seems to strongly imply.

Well, the Didache (chapters 11-13) has some guidelines on how to receive traveling prophets, and how to spot false teachers. The context implies that the false teachers were at least angling for a free meal or two, which leads me to think there was some recompense of some sort. It also calls false teachers "Christmongers", or those who trade on the name of Christ (using it as a meal ticket or paycheck). I have a translation online here: http://www.supakoo.com/rick/DidacheTranslation-2009-11-05.pdf

Rick Brannan | Twitter: @RickBrannan
Greek Apocr. Gospels: http://bit.ly/GkApocGosp
Apostolic Fathers Int: http://bit.ly/ApFthInt

Posts 5549
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:30 AM

Thank you Rick!

Posts 6
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:56 AM

The median expected salary for a typical Pastor in the United States is $85,296

That's $1,705.92 per sermon (assuming a two week yearly vacation)

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1571
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 8:13 AM

Paul Golder:

This must include any and all benefits considering a decided majority of churches are 100 or lower in avg attendance on any given Sunday. Btw, I'd like this one to make it to $20 and I think it can!

Posts 7031
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 9:10 AM

Paul Golder:

People have been telling me I'm below average for years.  Now I believe it.  

Posts 350
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 9:25 AM

Thomas Black:

Paul Golder:

Well...median and average aren't exactly the same thing...

Posts 7031
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 9:31 AM

Mike Aubrey:
Well...median and average aren't exactly the same thing...
Ah yes, well it has been decades since I took statistics.  Vague remembrance is now flooding my brain ....pardon me while I google.

Posts 15226
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 9:34 AM

Paul Golder:

Paul - 

I am not doubting you, but I am doubting your source. Although, numbers are funny things. When you read the link, it says that being a pastor "Requires a master's degree." This, of course, will vary by church, denomination, and part of the country. This cannot take into consideration the large number of "tent-making" pastors. I just finished my MDIV, and am now looking for my next ministry. I would love HALF of that plus benifits. I am guessing, however, that figure includes benefits in it.

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 2013
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 4:05 PM

Paul Golder:

Geez!  I had no  idea that I was being underpaid.  That is not typical United Methodist pastor's salary.  You Baptists and Presbyterians must be way overpaid.Wink

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 6
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 4:17 PM

What throws off the curve is that you have around a dozen or so Mega Pastors in the US making seven figures.

Personal research shows that the better number (including housing, utilities, and all other benefits) is closer to 40k - 50k

Posts 6
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 4:21 PM

Thomas Black:

Paul Golder:

Posts 12315
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 5:11 PM

Paul Golder:

Obviously, you're not counting for daily sermons.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5549
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 5:16 PM

Paul ... are you sure your 'What throws off the curve is that you have around a dozen or so Mega Pastors' fits your other reminder of the median?

Normally medians are used where data extremes impact the more typical mean/average?

In theory, if the above median number were accurate, half of the pastors make pretty good pocket change (and the other half doesn't).

Posts 6
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 5:46 PM

DMB:

Paul ... are you sure your 'What throws off the curve is that you have around a dozen or so Mega Pastors' fits your other reminder of the median?

Normally medians are used where data extremes impact the more typical mean/average?

In theory, if the above median number were accurate, half of the pastors make pretty good pocket change (and the other half doesn't).

If you look at the statistical data, you'll see that 86% of the Pastors have a congregation of less than 100. So given this, it would seem that the graph does not show a true "median ", but only an average of all salaries.

(that is assuming that by "Company Size" they mean "church size", which would be in keeping with other statics that I have read...)

Posts 6
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 6:12 PM

MJ. Smith:

Paul Golder:

Obviously, you're not counting for daily sermons.

Everyone knows that a Pastor only works 1 hour a week. Wink

Posts 442
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:00 PM

ummm, I'd be willing to bet the sample is all "mega-church" plus: their "methodology" requires that churches would be ask (ok, paying) for a "Market" salary for a position similar (i.e. revenue, # of employees, etc.) from a reputable consulting firm that ... churches that would actually pay a consulting firm to come up with a salary study... yah, that basically rules out most churches to start (even those with over 1000 regular attendees).

So if you're looking for a position at Willow Creek, I think you know where half the pastoral staff sits :)

(oh yeah, jump in on this deal! some great pastors who surely never got paid anywhere near $80k!)

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS