Suggested resources on the Book of Hebrews in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 175
Orpheus Heyward | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 9 2011 7:53 AM

I am about to begin a sermon series under the heading “do not despise the discipline of God”, in which I will begin this series from Hebrews 12:5-11. Wanted to know if anybody within the Logos community could suggest some excellent resources on the book of Hebrews that I  may be overlooking. Thank you for your help in advance. 

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 8:37 AM

Orpheus - 

I don't have anything off the top of my head. However, you may want to post your question in the "General Forum" where you will get help from PC users as well! 

Good (but hard) topic by the way. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:35 AM

Orpheus Heyward:

I am about to begin a sermon series under the heading “do not despise the discipline of God”, in which I will begin this series from Hebrews 12:5-11. Wanted to know if anybody within the Logos community could suggest some excellent resources on the book of Hebrews that I  may be overlooking. Thank you for your help in advance. 

I believe that O'Brien's Hebrews volume in the Pillar commentary series is my favorite commentary on that book.

Arthur Pink's An Exposition of Hebrews has a lot of meat in it too. (Each verse gets a whole chapter)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:37 AM

When posting in General forum, suggest including some information about resources in your Logos Library (e.g. base package and some additional purchases).

Off top of my head, would include 4 resources for studying Hebrews 12:5-11 (then explore more in Library)

1. Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament
  2. The NET Bible footnotes (included in Bible Study package and above)
  3. Scholar's Gold includes United Bible Societies (UBS) translation handbook series with wiki review => UBS New Testament Handbook Series
  4. Socio-rhetorical commentary on Hebrews, which is included => IVP New Testament Studies Collection (15 vols.)

A seminary class about Hebrews used A Commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews

Library option: search for hebrews (found 30 resources in my library).  Also could used cited by tool to search for Hebrews 12:5-11 references in library resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 175
Orpheus Heyward | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 12:42 PM

Thank you all. This has been helpful!!

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 3:36 PM

If you have NICNT - then don't forget F.F.Bruce.  (Personal bias - my favourite commentator ever!)

O'Brien's volume in Pillar and deSilva's contribution to Socio-rhetorical series have been mentioned already.  So has the UBS handbook.  But what about Ellingworth's volume in NIGTC.

John Owen's volumes are exceptional (I don't have them on L4 yet).

As a devotional primer, try and get your hands on Andrew Murray's "Hebrews" - beautiful!!!  This book is usually quite cheap in paperback.

Posts 172
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 6:14 PM

Orpheus Heyward:

You are expositing a magisterial book my friend. I have spent a great deal of time with this book, and I have built a small library on Hebrews works alone.

The standard commentaries that one should have would be:

1. Peter O'Brien

This is probably the best overall work to date. He deals with a number of issues in his introduction that I feel make his contribution a welcome to Hebrews scholarship.

2. Craig Koester

Koester's work is sadly overlook by some. His focus on the rhetorical structure of Hebrews is helpful in understanding the flow of Hebrews.

3. Harold Attridge

This is a gem of a commentary. Much background information to be had in this fine volume.

4. David deSilva

deSilva's work focus also on the rhetorical function of Hebrews as a "homily." His work in honor and shame motifs make this commentary unique in someways. If you are focusing on Heb 12.5-11, I am assuming that discipline will be discussed. If so, they you may deSilva helpful in bringing out some of the honor/shame motifs.

5. William Lane (vol. 12)

Lane's work is a one shop stop for all things Hebrews. He covers about everything you can think of in his two volume work. This set should be on the shelf of every student of Hebrews.

Other noteworthy works would be: Paul EllingworthF. F. BrucePhilip HughesDavid Allen, and George Guthrie.

Speaking of Guthrie, you may find the Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament quite useful when looking at the OT quote from Proverbs.

I would recommend more, but most of what I have are monographs not included in Logos as of yet.

Cliff

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 7:00 PM

Kistemaker's commentary in the Baker NT collection is really good. I took his class on Hebrew's at RTS and it really opened my eyes to a lot that I had wrestled with in Hebrews. His commentary is essentially his class.

Also, as Is Mebin siad, Bruce in the NICNT is really good. Kistemaker actually assigned it for the class.

Helping people find seminary scholarships and church jobs.

Posts 1357
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 7:46 PM

Clifford B. Kvidahl:

Orpheus Heyward:

You are expositing a magisterial book my friend. I have spent a great deal of time with this book, and I have built a small library on Hebrews works alone.

The standard commentaries that one should have would be:

1. Peter O'Brien

This is probably the best overall work to date. He deals with a number of issues in his introduction that I feel make his contribution a welcome to Hebrews scholarship.

2. Craig Koester

Koester's work is sadly overlook by some. His focus on the rhetorical structure of Hebrews is helpful in understanding the flow of Hebrews.

3. Harold Attridge

This is a gem of a commentary. Much background information to be had in this fine volume.

4. David deSilva

deSilva's work focus also on the rhetorical function of Hebrews as a "homily." His work in honor and shame motifs make this commentary unique in someways. If you are focusing on Heb 12.5-11, I am assuming that discipline will be discussed. If so, they you may deSilva helpful in bringing out some of the honor/shame motifs.

5. William Lane (vol. 12)

Lane's work is a one shop stop for all things Hebrews. He covers about everything you can think of in his two volume work. This set should be on the shelf of every student of Hebrews.

Other noteworthy works would be: Paul EllingworthF. F. BrucePhilip HughesDavid Allen, and George Guthrie.

Speaking of Guthrie, you may find the Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament quite useful when looking at the OT quote from Proverbs.

I would recommend more, but most of what I have are monographs not included in Logos as of yet.

Cliff

Good recommendations.

I would especially recommend Guthrie. His introduction to the book is magnificient! It does an excellent job of placing you in the mindset of the first recipients of the letter. I understand that he actually dresses in costume and presents the introductory material as a monologue on the first day of class.

Posts 175
Orpheus Heyward | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:48 PM

cliff, thanks a million times over.  I have made a collection with these sources.

Posts 172
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 11:34 PM

Orpheus Heyward:

cliff, thanks a million times over.  I have made a collection with these sources.

Brother, it is my privilege. If you need more resources, I got many more to give. Cool

Cliff

Posts 172
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 11:34 PM

Orpheus Heyward:

Brother, it is my privilege. If you need more resources, I got many more to give. Cool

Cliff

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS