Indexing finished but very very slow

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1
James Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:48 AM

Hi,

I installed the Platinum version yesterday on my PC, and the indexing finished overnight. The simplest search from the home page (say Genesis 1:2) takes almost 2 minutes; I have no other apps running.  I understood that with the indexing, it should only take a couple of seconds.

My PC is not new, but is a Dual-core 3Ghz, 4gb RAM, 256MB Graphics card running Windows 7.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

James.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:01 AM

It still takes a bit of time to open up all your resources and run the guides (closing the word-by-word tab on the exegetical guide helps!) but that does sound inordinately long, your system should handle it no problems... Tongue Tied

If you open up the task manager -> Performance -> Resource monitor, what's happening with your CPU and disk usage when you're run your passage from the home page? Is there anything else going on chewing up resources?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:29 AM

James,

Something is DEFINITELY wrong.

With your machine....it should be pretty darn fast...mine is just under your specs...and it's pretty fast.

One tip I would give you is ....don't.

don't run a search like "Genesis 1:2" from the homepage box...in my humble opinion...it opens too many things I now have to close....

I do this.

I made a Passage guide custom with only the things I wanted in it..then saved it as "My Passage Guide"

Now...when you type in a passage....it uses that abbreviated guide...

very fast and clean...

I usually make a layout like the following. You'll notice that i have a bible open, highlighters...a search...and exegetical guide....etc...those are the things I use most..You could throw a passage guide in there....you could make a custom guide with BOTH passage guide items and Exegetical guide items...its' very customizable....

Then  I saved this layout...and i can go back to it as much as I want...

PS: whereever you leave logos on shut down...it will come back to that exact layout....nice

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1
James Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:37 AM

Thanks for your  replies.  I just got off the phone with tech support, and I think it's an expectations issue rather than a technical one.

A library search took about 3.5 seconds to find 237,000 results.  Searching from the home page does of course open more than that, which takes some considerable time.  I will play with the layouts as you suggest and see if I can get what I went when I want it!

James.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS