PB and Electronic rights.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2368
DominicM | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:13 AM

This issue will need covered at some point so why not start it now...

Just because you can get the text of the book you want in HTML/Text/(whatever format you please), that does not mean you have permission from the copyright owner/publisher to use it, or even further store it in Word/DocX format or even as a PB.

for example:

JB Phillips New Testament

• Source Publicly available on CCEL.website
  • Harpercollins own the Print rights
  • The "Archbishops' Council" own the Electronic rights

However,just beacuse the text is online, doesnt mean its up for grabs(free to use), in this case it is NOT in the public domain anywhere.

If you want to store any book in PB, I would suggest that you make every effort to track down the rights holder, and copyright status.

If its not in the Public domain then please ask permission to store the text electronically!  

I know it might be a pain, and yes they might say no, but I have had more publishers say yes than no, and because I have the physical book they are often happy to give me permission to store it or parts electronically for my own personal use, and if you get permission to use store whether personal use, or distrubitive permission, can I suggest you include it in your PB, as for example part of the preface, especially if you have permission to distribute it, then in the future, should you get challenged on its use, you dont need to go rummaging for that deleted email.

Please continue to make your PB's, but if you are planning on sharing them down the line, please do it in a way that doesnt bring disrepute on Logos, and in a way that honour you and will bless us future recipients, I know copyright laws vary and we are worldwide, but in these days of emails, and our litigation society, it doesnt take much to send an email, or few, to ask permission.

If you cant track down the holder, you will have to reconcile any decisions/actions that against your concsience, but could I suggest you keep it for personal use only, I am pointing no fingers at anyone, as I am as equally guilty for past infringements

Obvioulsy this does not affect books that are genuinely in the Public domain, but as I was saying, just because the source is out there does not mean its up for grabs (free to use)

May the Lord bless the works of your hands..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 740
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:45 AM

Thanks for this caution!  Its amazing how many pastors, teachers, preachers and churches are cheerfully using pirated (OOOooo harsh word!) copies of operating systems, software, AND electronic books.  We steal and then pray for God's blessing..... "...woe unto you scribes and pharisees, hypocrites!"

Excuse me for a few minutes, I just realized I have a few things I need to delete....

"I read dead people..."

Posts 8214
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2011 7:23 AM

I just came across an exceptionally good page on US copyright law and thought I should share it: http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/docs/copyrightterm.pdf. May I suggest someone add it to the Wiki page for future reference.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS