Sermon File

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Joseph Ringwalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:49 AM

I have been reading several posts and I am still wondering about the numerous sermons I added in Logos 3 using Sermon Add In. I have read the statement: 

What exactly does this mean?  If I am not interested in the future web site, does this mean I have to use PBB with all my sermons?  Does it mean that there will not be a Sermon Add In feature anymore?  Does this mean I have to add all my sermons again as individual books.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

Posts 4669
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 8:43 AM

Hi Joseph

As far as I understand it....

Joseph Ringwalt:
does this mean I have to use PBB with all my sermons?
– Only if you wish to use them with Logos 4

Joseph Ringwalt:
Does it mean that there will not be a Sermon Add In feature anymore?
– The sermon add in feature is a feature of Logos 3 but will not be available in Logos 4.

Joseph Ringwalt:
 Does this mean I have to add all my sermons again as individual books.
– Only if you wish to access them through Logos 4 they will remain accessible in Logos 3.

Don't forget that Logos 3 and Logos 4 can co-exist on the same computer.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 9:09 PM

Mike Binks:

Joseph Ringwalt:
 Does this mean I have to add all my sermons again as individual books.
– Only if you wish to access them through Logos 4 they will remain accessible in Logos 3.

Don't forget that Logos 3 and Logos 4 can co-exist on the same computer.

Observation: Libronix 3 can run in a Windows virtual machine on Mac for access to old sermon files.

Personal Book Builder option: each sermon could be its own chapter so one series of sermons could be one personal book.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10109
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 4:44 AM

Mike,

FWIW, I came to a slightly different understanding of this information.

Mike Binks:

Joseph Ringwalt:
Does it mean that there will not be a Sermon Add In feature anymore?
– The sermon add in feature is a feature of Logos 3 but will not be available in Logos 4.

I understand that parts of the functionality of the Logos 3 Sermon Add-In will be developed in the next months for Logos 4, thus part of it will be available in Logos 4 (at some point in the future). If Joseph wants to use the L4 Sermon Add-In, he'll have to wait until it is released (at least in Beta) - of course it's correct atht L3 remains usable.

We don't know anything about the future functionality of L4 Sermon Add-In, so we don't know whether there will be a converter from L3 sermon files (unlikely, IMHO). But the partial usage of PB does not justify creating PBs now, as I would assume that the L4 Sermon Add-In would come with a certain syntax for tags, so building "real sermon PBs" would probably have to wait until this information is out. Thus when you say

Mike Binks:

Joseph Ringwalt:
– Only if you wish to use them with Logos 4

I'd answer

Joseph Ringwalt:
– Only if you wish to use them with Logos 4 NOW

Otherwise: This may be the case when Logos has finalized Sermon Add-In for L4 - stay tuned to the beta forums.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 27774
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 5:16 AM

NewbieMick - 

Your understanding is very different than mine and I think you have been misinformed. Logos has said that the sermon add in file will be replaced by:

1) personal book builder (just released) and 

2) a future website [no dates or functionality revealed]

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10109
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 6:59 AM

alabama24:

NewbieMick - 

Your understanding is very different than mine and I think you have been misinformed. Logos has said that the sermon add in file will be replaced by:

1) personal book builder (just released) and 

2) a future website [no dates or functionality revealed]

Okay, I don't know whether our understanding is really very different, however, let's do the exegesis on this text:

LOGOS:
Sermon File (To be re-designed; partially replaced by the forthcoming Personal Book Builder, supplemented by a to-be-released web site)

So, we get this from http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures and the context is Logos claiming: "Below is a rough outline of features planned for addition to Logos 4." They say that SF is to be re-designed (in whatever direction) and that it is to be partially replaced by PB and that it will be supplemented by a website.

I think we both see that much of the former functionality of SF (as per http://www.logos.com/product/3161/sermon-file-addin) is now possible with PBs. And we don't know about the website (could be the planned PB-sharing site). So I don't expect Logos to build a big new tool, comparable to PB. 

However, you seem to read "Sermon File (fully replaced by PB, supplemented by to-be-relesead web site)". I don't say that's an impossible reading, but you don't take into account the parts about "redesign" and "partially". "Redesign" might mean: we take all that is not covered by PB out of the intended functionality. However, it might as well mean something different. And "partially by PB" might mean: all other parts are no longer in the design or will become part of the supplemental website. It might as well mean something different, such as a screen to manage sermons with a bit more comfort than the library view. We don't know for sure until Logos updates our status of information.

What I think holds true even if your reading was 100% to the point: the usage of a PB as a "sermon file" may require a certain tagging or usage of existing or future metadata fields in the document (to cover for the existing fields). So far there has been no official guidance into this direction. So until Logos says: "a 4.0 Sermon File is a PB following these rules/using these metatags/compiled as new resource type Sermon..." (and that's for me the most probable exegesis of the text) it may be time wasted to compile a large number of sermons into PBs and having to redo it afterwards.

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 27774
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:18 AM

Mick - 

Technically I own the "sermon add in" (it came with another resource I purchased), but I have never used it. I don't even know what it does! [I will go take a look at the product description later]. It seems that Logos is giving us a roadmap when they say: "partially replaced" and "to be supplemented." I could be wrong. It's been known to happen.

NewbieMick:
let's do the exegesis on this text

Just don't ask me to diagram the sentence Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS