Identifying rabbis

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 140
Gary Shogren | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:36 PM

Now that we have Neusner's rabbinic volumes - where does one look, to identify the rabbi and his era (for example, I'm looking at the Mishnaic tradition in Pique Aboth 2:2 attributed to Rabban Gamaliel, son of R. Judah).

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 1:14 PM

Wikipedia doesn't do badly on these. In this case, it is Gamaliel III that you want.

The article gives a link to a website of the Jewish Encyclopedia. You could join me and put in a bid for this in Logos community pricing: http://www.logos.com/product/8537/the-jewish-encyclopedia.

Posts 140
Gary Shogren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:45 PM

Thanks, Jonathan. I'd figured out that it was that Gamaliel, but wondered if there wasn't some sort of simple scorecard somewhere with names and dates. It makes a difference, since Gamaliel III was (supposedly) the one who said that every rabbi should learn a trade, and it's useful not supposing that it was Gamaliel I.

I bid on the Jewish Encyclopedia, BTW, thanks for the heads up. If I recall correctly, that one is more rabbinic, while Judaica is more generic, correct?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 3:53 AM

Check out the resource Swimming in the Sea of Talmud by Katz and Schwartz. It has a time-line showing some of this information, that you may find useful:

Posts 140
Gary Shogren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 9:02 AM

Thanks!

Posts 140
Gary Shogren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 8:18 AM

I picked this up, but was surprised by how incomplete was the list of rabbis. It doesn't include Gamaliel I, for example.

I think the one you circled is Gamaliel II (of Yavneh), not III (3rd CE).

Posts 30221
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2020 5:25 PM

Gary's original question still needs a real FL response - adding the Talmudic rabbis to the LCV and Factbook. There are multiple requests as we move through L4, L5, L6, L7, and L8 with a temporary "solution" through Freebase and afterwards no recognition of this serious omission in Logos/Verbum.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3928
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2020 7:34 PM

MJ. Smith:
adding the Talmudic rabbis to the LCV and Factbook

Yes

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 289
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2020 7:37 PM

Yes

Posts 459
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 17 2020 3:25 AM

Agreed - that would be a very useful addition! 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS