Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 134
Esther Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:28 PM

Well, here I am again, the layLady, asking about Personal Book Builder. Everyone talks about this so much, and now we have it.

What in the world is a layLady to do with the thing? What applications could a layperson use PBB for? Enquiring minds want to know...

Esther

Posts 5066
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:53 PM

Esther Jones:

Well, here I am again, the layLady, asking about Personal Book Builder. Everyone talks about this so much, and now we have it.

What in the world is a layLady to do with the thing? What applications could a layperson use PBB for? Enquiring minds want to know...

Esther

The personal book tool is useful for a number of things.

The PBB is useful for sorts of things (personal studies, denominational resources, other kinds of resources) that may be specific to you personally, or that you have in some other form but would like in Logos (for searchability, etc.).

This tool could also be used to compile the hundreds of public domain titles found on various web sites into Logos format for easy searching/study.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 134
Esther Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:12 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Esther Jones:

Esther

The PBB is useful for sorts of things (personal studies, denominational resources, other kinds of resources) that may be specific to you personally, or that you have in some other form but would like in Logos (for searchability, etc.).

This tool could also be used to compile the hundreds of public domain titles found on various web sites into Logos format for easy searching/study.

Ok...so PBB is different from the Personal Book tool? Can someone explain the difference?

Thanks for the comment. Can you (or anyone) give some examples of what you would use the personal book tool for as a layperson? I need to get my head around this.

Thanks

Esther

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:21 PM

PBB stands for Personal Book Builder, which is what the tool was called in L3/Libronix.

In Logos 4, we're calling it Personal Books (or the Personal Book tool, as it lives in the Tools menu.)  They are essentially the same thing.

As for what a layperson would use the tool for that is really up to you.  (And you certainly don't have to use it! Smile)  

An example might be if you keep a prayer journal or maybe take notes during the sermon on Sunday and would like to have those items available to you inside your Logos program.  Or if you want them to be searchable.  Or just better archived so you can actually use them in the future.  You can type these notes up into a Word document and then compile that document into a book in Logos.  Then you'll have access to it alongside your Bibles and commentaries, etc. 

You could even use it to compile cooking recipes, if you really wanted to! Wink (Though, I'm not sure how useful that would be.)  

Basically, a Personal Book starts as a document.  So anything you can see yourself typing up into a document could be compiled into a book.

Posts 5066
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:00 PM

Esther Jones:

Richard DeRuiter:

Esther Jones:

Esther

Ok...so PBB is different from the Personal Book tool? Can someone explain the difference?

Thanks for the comment. Can you (or anyone) give some examples of what you would use the personal book tool for as a layperson? I need to get my head around this.

Thanks

Esther

Sorry, what you see is an edited version of what I started writing. Obviously, I didn't carefully read the final version before posting.

The PBB and the Personal Book tool are basically the same thing, and you'll see both terms used in these forums somewhat interchangeably. Apparently, my mind interchanged these without me even noticing.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1582
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:19 PM

Esther, I feel like I've been under a rock not realizing just what Personal Book Builder can do until today.  What it came down to is I picked my favorite dead theologian that was not in Logos (BH Carroll), found one of his books online and have been hacking away at the formatting to it, while learning how the code works through the forums for the better part of the afternoon.

My result so far is a 285 pg book with nearly all the Bible references tagged automatically, while my work has yielded formatting for the headings in the titles and substitles, so the program can create a table of contents.  I even made a cool book cover for the book.  Next up I plan on skimming the resource for any missed Bible references and references to other Logos resources I own (and there are a couple!)

It has a learning curve to it, but I'd say PBB is shaping up to be pretty cool so far!

Posts 4969
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:47 PM

Esther Jones:
Can you (or anyone) give some examples of what you would use the personal book tool for as a layperson? I need to get my head around this.

Well, I find myself downloading PDFs as well as copies of websites, blog entries and other interesting things around bible study. I have some ressources in other bible study software that I rarely or never run anymore. Sometimes I even write up aspects of a topic myself. Okay, for a layman I might have an above-average interest in these things, but that's why I have Logos.

All this stuff clutters my harddisk, and I have to rely on Google Desktop search or a broad folder structure to find this stuff again (often it's easier to locate material on the web again, and when I do the Save As... my PC tells me I can't because it's already there...) This stuff is unorganized, barely or not at all searchable, untagged, doesn't link to my bible or other resources etc. Talk about inefficiency. 

In the future I intend to build PBs from this information. Not neccessary my own 17-volume commentary on the OT like the pro's out here, but five pages here and twelve there, that will come up if I do a passage guide or a library search for it. That's a very exciting thing. I also look forward to the cool PBs other people will built from PD resources and might try doing so as well. And if no-one creates the Moravian brother's Daily Texts ("watchwords"), I will give it a try.

Mick

running Logos 5.2b Beta 5 (Classic MCs, Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E - now modified with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - with Win7 Home Premium 32bit & some Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 8792
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:53 PM

Tonya J Ross:

You could even use it to compile cooking recipes, if you really wanted to! Wink (Though, I'm not sure how useful that would be.)  

Basically, a Personal Book starts as a document.  So anything you can see yourself typing up into a document could be compiled into a book.

That depends -- when is the next Logos Chili Cook-off?  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 6996
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:54 PM

Today's blog has instructions simple enough for a layman to create a PBB:

The part I have the most difficulty with is remembering where I put the file.

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 5:04 PM

George Somsel:
That depends -- when is the next Logos Chili Cook-off?  Smile

Well, we're having a Bake-Off next week! It's not chili, but there are recipes involved...

Wink

Posts 147
Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 5:09 PM

Paul Newsome:
My result so far is a 285 pg book with nearly all the Bible references tagged automatically

Okay. did I miss something?  I just created my first ever PB today.  It was my own document (about 60 pages) and it was loaded with Bible refs.   Was there a way for those to be picked up "automatically" that didn't require I double bracket each one?  That would be great. 

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 5:23 PM

Scott H. Clark:

Paul Newsome:
My result so far is a 285 pg book with nearly all the Bible references tagged automatically

Okay. did I miss something?  I just created my first ever PB today.  It was my own document (about 60 pages) and it was loaded with Bible refs.   Was there a way for those to be picked up "automatically" that didn't require I double bracket each one?  That would be great. 

Logos will recognize most Bible refs automatically. Just like the reff tagger on the forum tags Jn 1:1 so too does PBB, the only Bible refs you should need to tag manually are the v25-type refs which are separated from its book and/or chapter

Posts 147
Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 5:30 PM

WOW, do I ever feel behind the curve.  I literally double bracketted every one.  Took me hours.  Oh well, now I know and I'll know for the next time.  I did enjoy that my greek words could be linked to the strong's or LN numbers, and I was able to tag a reference to a systematic theology with the actual quote.  Pretty awesome, if I do say so.  I did discover that I can't have the surface text italicized or underline or else the tag doesn't take.  I'm not sure if that's a bug or just the normal behavior.  Either way, it wasn't a big deal since.

Also, not really sure why, but when I updated my email, my post count dropped to 0 from nearly 200.  Hmmm...odd.

Thanks for the help.

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 5:33 PM

Scott H. Clark:
Also, not really sure why, but when I updated my email, my post count dropped to 0 from nearly 200.  Hmmm...odd.

It's a common bug. Leave David Langes ( http://community.logos.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=2100 ) a comment and he can restore your post count for you.

Posts 6996
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 5:56 PM

Scott H. Clark:
I did discover that I can't have the surface text italicized or underline or else the tag doesn't take.  I'm not sure if that's a bug or just the normal behavior.

Maybe somebody who is proficient in using the Personal Book Tool will clarify this but I think it makes a difference what order you do it in. If you italicize & underline first and then tag it (or vice-versa,  I don't know which,)  it may work.  Experiment or ask the beta testers.

Posts 444
Garrett Mercury | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:21 PM

So does this pbb mean we can just add pbb books like we used to? And if so is it against the forum rules to talk about where to get these books?

Posts 16417
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:26 PM

Garrett Mercury:

So does this pbb mean we can just add pbb books like we used to? And if so is it against the forum rules to talk about where to get these books?

See this thread  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/36671.aspx?PageIndex=1

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 407
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:51 PM

Paul Newsome:
My result so far is a 285 pg book with nearly all the Bible references tagged automatically, while my work has yielded formatting for the headings in the titles and substitles, so the program can create a table of contents.

Paul,

How much time to create that book?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Posts 1582
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 8:03 PM

Hey Scott,

Well off and on the better part of 5 hours.  This included sizing down 350 pages worth of text without sizing the headers.  Then there's the headers, well over a hundred of them.  I find myself making passes through the book to edit different things; still learning how it all works.  Most of its pretty obvious and I Still have to eliminate random paragraph breaks, random double spacing of text, linking to other Logos resources, and linking to Bible verses that the PBB program did not pick up.  10 hours total work for a first book of nice size.  I'm picky on the formatting as well. Wink

Posts 147
Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 8:39 PM

Quick question here for anyone that knows.  I compiled a personal document of some 60 pages.  It is sort of a short systematic theology.  I indicated "Systematic Theology" in the meta data, and now it appears in my collection of systematic theologies, which I added to my passage guide long ago.  My question is this.  No matter what I do, I cannot get the passage guide to offer my document in that section of the passage guide along with the other theologies.  I selected a verse I know was used multiple times and even went so far as to prioritize the document above everything, and it still won't show up.  Is this a limitation of the PBs or the user?  Tongue Tied  Any help would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS