BUG: Logos 4.3 SR-1 Read Aloud Regression

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 20 2011 7:48 AM | Locked

Follow-up to forum discussion => Read Aloud control about Read Aloud buggy regression behavior in Logos 4.3 SR-1:

* Pause no longer works.  If stop reading, always jumps to top of panel.

* Start reading jumps to a milestone that may not be in visible panel (vis starting with first word displayed in panel).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 20 2011 9:02 PM | Locked

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
* Start reading jumps to a milestone that may not be in visible panel (vis starting with first word displayed in panel).

In monograph resources, noticing scrolling up to page number milestone on Mac and Windows before starting to read words.

Learning Logos 4.3 SR-1 keyboard shortcut is not integrated with Read Aloud audio player controls on toolbar, whose pause and play button works on Mac and Windows.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:10 PM | Locked

* Pause no longer works. If stop reading, always jumps to top of panel.

I'm a bit confused by this, and it appears that the original instruction on the referenced wiki page was incorrect in using the term 'pause'. Ctrl+R in Windows and Cmd+R in Mac have always been the keyboard shortcuts to 'Start' or 'Stop' Read Aloud. If Read Aloud is running, pressing the keyboard shortcuts again will 'stop'--not 'pause'--Read Aloud. If the Active Reference is Phil 4:8, if you Stop reading at the fifth word, when you restart Read Aloud, it will begin again at the beginning of Phil 4:8. This is expected behavior.

To 'pause' Read Aloud, you have to click on the Pause button on the Audio Player on the main Logos 4 toolbar.

I'm not seeing this. If I am in a Bible and the Active Reference says "Philippians 4:8" but I've scrolled down one notch so I don't see the beginning of that verse, when I press Ctrl+R, it jumps back up to the beginning of the verse in the panel as it begins to read. In a monograph resource, if the Active Reference is "Page 51" and I scroll down to the middle of that page, so the beginning of page 51 is no longer visible, when I press Ctrl+R, it jumps back to the beginning of the page when it starts reading. Can you give me a specific example where this isn't working?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:02 PM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

* Pause no longer works. If stop reading, always jumps to top of panel.

I'm a bit confused by this, and it appears that the original instruction on the referenced wiki page was incorrect in using the term 'pause'. Ctrl+R in Windows and Cmd+R in Mac have always been the keyboard shortcuts to 'Start' or 'Stop' Read Aloud. If Read Aloud is running, pressing the keyboard shortcuts again will 'stop'--not 'pause'--Read Aloud. If the Active Reference is Phil 4:8, if you Stop reading at the fifth word, when you restart Read Aloud, it will begin again at the beginning of Phil 4:8. This is expected behavior.

To 'pause' Read Aloud, you have to click on the Pause button on the Audio Player on the main Logos 4 toolbar.

Thanks; update concurs with Logos 4 Help information.  Suspect undocumented keyboard 'pause' worked in Logos 4.2a SR-2 on Windows when wiki page originally created.

Melissa Snyder:

I'm not seeing this. If I am in a Bible and the Active Reference says "Philippians 4:8" but I've scrolled down one notch so I don't see the beginning of that verse, when I press Ctrl+R, it jumps back up to the beginning of the verse in the panel as it begins to read. In a monograph resource, if the Active Reference is "Page 51" and I scroll down to the middle of that page, so the beginning of page 51 is no longer visible, when I press Ctrl+R, it jumps back to the beginning of the page when it starts reading. Can you give me a specific example where this isn't working?

Concur with replication description about Read Aloud behavior scrolling up to the beginning of a resource milestone instead of starting with first word visible in panel as described on wiki page => http://wiki.logos.com/Read_Aloud (appears Logos 4.3 SR-1 has a Read Aloud regression compared to Logos 4.2a SR-2).

For illustration, screen shot matches verbal description using Philippians 4:8

Pressed ctrl+R to begin Read Aloud using Logos 4.3 SR-1, then captured screen shot showing jump up to beginning of Bible verse milestone for Read Aloud:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 8:29 AM | Locked

Thanks; update concurs with Logos 4 Help information.  Suspect undocumented keyboard 'pause' worked in Logos 4.2a SR-2 on Windows when wiki page originally created.

There never was a keyboard shortcut for Pause, so it might have been a typo on the wiki page--not sure.

Concur with replication description about Read Aloud behavior scrolling up to the beginning of a resource milestone instead of starting with first word visible in panel as described on wiki page => http://wiki.logos.com/Read_Aloud (appears Logos 4.3 SR-1 has a Read Aloud regression compared to Logos 4.2a SR-2).

Again, this has always worked this way. When you start Read Aloud it works off the Active Reference. This is why it jumps to beginning of the verse or beginning of the page, according to what is in the Active Reference box.

If you scroll down while it's reading (with or without clicking the Pause button), the Read Aloud function is stopped. When it is restarted, it will begin at the active reference again.

I am describing how it works, but there are several bug cases to improve how it works for a future release.  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 9:40 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

There never was a keyboard shortcut for Pause, so it might have been a typo on the wiki page--not sure.

Apologies: not have older Logos 4.2 installed on Windows so cannot verify accuracy of original wiki 'pause' using ctrl+R; have verified cmd+R in Logos 4.2b SR-1 starts Read Aloud at beginning of active reference.  Hence, Logos 4 Mac does not have Read Aloud regression. Embarrassed

Melissa Snyder:
I am describing how it works, but there are several bug cases to improve how it works for a future release.

Looking forward to Logos 4 Read Aloud improvements; hopefully media player includes keyboard shortcut for pause (e.g. space bar) along with keyboard shortcuts to go forward or backward, including jump to next/previous milestone (like chapter jumping in Logos DVD's).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS